Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Jan 31, 2016 - Page 10 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Jan 31, 2016 Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Jan 31, 2016

Unread 01-31-2016, 03:34 PM
Re: Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Jan 31, 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojmileslong View Post
Hello! I'm scheduled to have a LAVH on Wednesday 2/3, and this past week has been so crazy with work (we do snow removal and the storm from last weekend has kept us busy ALL WEEK) so I haven't had too much time to worry...but I've also had not too much time to prepare my home!! I have 2 children- 3 and 6, so we need to have some semblance of normalcy for them. And now I'm wondering if I forgot to do anything with my preparations...I feel like I don't know what I need to do to prepare for the surgery (meds? bowel prep, but HOW?) Feeling nervous and unprepared here...
We are so glad to have you join us. I know that the time leading up to surgery is often filled with a lot of craziness and you feel like you are running in circles. It will be ok dear . . . you can do this. Use the next couple of days to do the things at home you need to . . . freezing meals, last minute cleaning, etc. My sons were young when I had my first surgery . . . you will find that children are resillient and will be fine, honest. They need to be assured that they are loved and that this surgery is so Mommie can feel better.

Recovery With Small Children

Did you doctor give you any instructions at your pre-op? It is important that you do only what s/he has instructed. (i.e. no meds or bowel prep unless instructed) If you aren't sure, give your doctor's office a call tomorrow and ask for a clarification on what you need to do.

Best wishes dear . . . we will see you on the other side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2016, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladypartless View Post
I am having a hysterectomy tomorrow! Yikes! Everything is going... Ovaries, tubes, etc... I'm a nervous wreck! I have been cooking and cleaning all day! I am a mom of 3 boys. Work full time as a trauma RN. Worried about surgical menopause! I'm only 36. Strong history of ovarian cancer. Mom and grandma passed in their 40's. Super worried of all the unknowns.
We are so happy that you have joined us. Your fears are normal . . . sometimes we can know "too much". Remember that you will be in good hands and they will be taking good care of you. 3 boys . . . what a blessing. If they are like my 2, you are well protected but busy. I know that "surgical menopause" is one of those unknowns that you are afraid of. Here's an article that I hope will help you.

Surgical Menopause

Best wishes on your surgery dear. Remember that we are here for you and we will be waiting on the other side.
Unread 01-31-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra1 View Post
Hello all I'm new here. Getting Robotic TLH w/blat salpingectomy next week February 3. Nervous my house has never been cleaner! Lol. I have question on bowel prep.
I have to be at hospital at 5:30 am surgery at 7am.
my bowl prep of is
1 Reglan at 12 noon and 6pm.
4pm 1 bottle Magnisisuim citrate and 7pm four Ducolax.
Day before liquid diet nothing after midnight. My question should I start early than 4pm and 7 pm? I feel I won't rest or be done running to bathroom by 5:30am. Anyone have advice?
We are so glad you joined us today. I know that the bowel prep can be daunting. The Magnesium citrate is pretty fast acting . . . it is best to follow the timetable that you doctor gave you. Our ladies here have found that it is easier if you drink it cold and straight down.

on your surgery. We will see you on the other side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2016, 04:51 PM

Hi, I'm Barbara. 47 with 3 grown children. TAH on the 4th. I've had major surgery before, so I'm not so much concerned about the pain or recovery. What has me nervous is that my health is not as good as it once was. High BP and slightly irregular heartbeat. I'm really nervous about being put under and something going wrong. I've been keeping myself busy preparing healthy freezer meals and organizing, but the closer it gets, the more worked up I get, which is really not good for my blood pressure. Good luck and prayers to the rest of you ladies.
Unread 01-31-2016, 05:35 PM
Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Jan 31, 2016

I am 43 with high BP. I am worried, as well. I was fine in June of last year when I had a myomectomy. I hope I will be this time. My surgery is Wednesday, just uterus out. Best wishes to you!
Unread 01-31-2016, 05:39 PM

For those of you dear sisters facing surgery with High blood pressure here is a link you may find helpful:

Worried About Blood Pressure

Hugs and best of luck for an uneventful surgery and good recovery.
Unread 01-31-2016, 06:10 PM

Hi, I'm Christin. My surgery is scheduled for Wednesday the 3rd, and I am having my uterus and tubes removed. I am keeping my ovaries and cervix. I am having the surgery because of Adenomyosis and almost constant bleeding for over a year and a half. I feel sure that I am doing the right thing. However, this is my first major surgery, so I am nervous like the rest of you. I am staying busy getting ready and also trying to meditate to keep calm. I feel confidant that we will all come through our surgeries just fine and I look forward to sharing recovery tips with all of you.
Unread 01-31-2016, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSydel View Post
Brenna here, 34. 2 kids, engaged. Nervous. Anemic. Type 1 Von Willebrands (spelling?). Depression and anxiety. Hypoglycemia and heart murmur. Bleed for 4-5 months at a time very heavily.

Torn because a big part of me is ready to be done with this! But also a big part of me is not sure I don't want a third kid. :/

Scared because I hate hospitals (my mother died about 10 years ago of cervical cancer. can't help associating hospitals with her death) and I don't want to die. I fear complications and not waking up.

I'm a busy body and worry I won't be able to just rest and heal. I cannot stop my mind from running. I'm worried about feeling less of a woman. Wondering how soon before I can take a bath? Will I feel 'empty' etc?

Surgery is scheduled for this Tuesday February 2.

Sending positive vibes to all of you and hoping for speedy surgeries and recoveries.
I understand feeling nervous and anxious pre-op. Many women say pre-op is the hardest part of this process, as there are so many unknowns. As soon as you get to the other side, there is great relief. Having a chronic health concern can increase these feelings. Below is an article with helpful hints:

Chronic Health Concern and Hysterectomy

If you are feeling you will possibly want a third child, that can make hysterectomy a very emotional decision. You may want to consider journalling your feelings as you recover. For many of us, losing our uterus and fertility is a loss which we need to grieve. It's ok to feel sad, cry, and grieve. I loved my uterus and it was very difficult for me to let it go. Counselling can also be very beneficial. Regarding feeling less of a woman, that really depends on your personal feelings about your uterus and your fertility. I was very concerned I would feel different and that my DH would look at me differently, but that wasn't the case. I still have some struggles with not being fertile, as this made me feel sexy and feminine. But I am learning this gets easier with time. I did feel physically and emotionally "empty" for a while post op. As with the other feelings, it faded with time. When I press on my pelvic area, I can feel my belly dip where my uterus used to be. I didn't realize that's what it was until my doctor pointed it out to me.

Am I Less of a Woman After Hysterectomy?

Ask your doctor when baths are allowed. Different doctors give us different restrictions. I was cleared for baths at 8 weeks, but some women are cleared sooner.

Baths Post Hysterectomy

Have some jigsaw puzzles, crosswords, knitting or other activities on hand for when you heal. This will help you feel less bored when you're resting. Walking is also an important part of recovery, so short frequent walks as you feel able will help you feel "busy". Sitting outside when weather permits is also good.

I am sending you hugs for a safe surgery and uneventful recovery. Deep breaths, you can do this! And we will all be there for you on the other side!

Unread 01-31-2016, 06:22 PM
Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Jan 31, 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildove View Post
I have been trying to be calm today. My surgery is Tuesday and I am terrified of all of it! Especially being put to sleep! I am literally terror stricken.
Mine is Wednesday, so I know exactly how you feel! I have had 5 friends who have gone through this and look back on their fears as unfounded. All said pain was minimal, they were back amongst the living very quickly and celt so much better than they did before the surgery Hang in there! Prayers and hugs!!
Unread 01-31-2016, 07:04 PM

Hey Ladies! I'm having my TVH on the 3rd. To say I am nervous is an understatement! I have my Mom who had a complete abdominal hysterectomy for support, but knowing there is a bunch of other ladies having surgery this week is really comforting! I am in the process of rearranging my room to fit my big, fluffy recliner in there! I need somewhere to go to hide from my kids! My husband is taking a week of leave so I can do nothing, and I am supposed to start a new job on the 22nd! I hope I am feeling up to it, because it's a federal job that I can't afford to loose! I bought myself a bunch of coloring books to stay busy. Any other tips? Hospital must haves? Recovery must haves?
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register