Whats the diff in losing the cervix and ovaries | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Whats the diff in losing the cervix and ovaries Whats the diff in losing the cervix and ovaries

Unread 10-23-2001, 08:25 PM
Whats the diff in losing the cervix and ovaries

I Am totally confused?? I Am sched for a lapro vaginal hyst on Oct 25th and I am now confused. What role does the cervix play in sexual pleasure? My cervix is healthy and I have one somewhat healthy ovary. I am now confused should I keep the cervix? My doc has said nothing to me about keeping it. He hasnt even made that suggestion. I am concerned that if loose my cervix then I will loose sexual pleasure. Should I cancel my surgury and search for other options? HELP!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2001, 12:51 AM

I can tell you that personally, I didn't see any changes in sexual stimulance after the removal of my cervix. If any changes at all, it was very positive as I didn't have to deal with cramps, bleeding, etc. which made sex much more enjoyable. I've read others who say they did see a difference but I did not. I honestly feel that a positive mental attitude can make a world of difference in that situation as well. Old wives tales don't help with this either, don't listen to what everybody else has to say, especially men, they have some really far-fetched stories about this. If you convince yourself, its going to ruin it, it probably will. But if you choose to have the cervix removed, think positive! It might make things much better!

This is truly my opinion and I respect those who may feel differently.
Unread 10-24-2001, 04:55 AM

Dear Rhonda:

The procedure is call "supra-cervical" hysterectomy. You might want to do some searches on this and other websites and see what you can find. My doctor actually recommended it to me and it is what I had done on 3 Oct. Haven't had a chance yet to try out the "sex" theory but I do know that the main reason my doctor recommended it was for continued support of other internal organs as I begin to age. He said this is the "europeon" way of doing a hyst and that in US they used to do it this way routinely until it became the norm to take the cervix as a prevention for cervical cancer. With pap smears able to determine cancer so well nowadays there seems to be a trend (at least in this part of the country) for going back toward the supra-cervical. The only drawback that some may see is that the procedure must be done abdominally. At least that is what I was told and haven't seen or heard anything otherwise.

I am 3 weeks post op today and feel pretty darn good. My recovery has been for the most part very smooth. I don't know if keeping the cervix made it any easier but I do know that the decision to keep it made sense to me.

Good luck in your research. Ask you doctor about it too.

Betty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2001, 07:06 AM

Supracervical and lap assisted vaginal hyst are two different methods of performing this surgery. If your doctor said you'll be having a lap assited (LAVH) he's probably taking your cervix. You may want to call him today to discuss this as your surgery is scheduled for tomorrow. Some women feel that the cervix contributes to the intensity of their orgasms, so if you've had normal pap smears you may want to consider keeping it. If you do, your doctor will probably perform an abdominal hyst (TAH) rather than the LAVH.

I looked at your profile and noticed that you're very young. Are you planning to keep your ovaries? If they're healthy and you don't have a family history of ovarian cancer, you may want to consider keeping them. HRT is not always the best answer for some women. Take a peek in the Hormone Jungle and you'll see what I mean.

Please call your doctor today and discuss the possibility of keeping your cervix if that's what you want.
Unread 10-24-2001, 10:45 AM

I have aprolapsed uterus where the dervix and uterus has dropped into the vaginal area. Doc says it is ness so I trust his judgement. It makes sense.
Unread 10-24-2001, 11:05 AM

Dear Rhonda,

I had prolapse also. My cervix & utrus were removed... your doc may have the opinion that with falling organs, the cervix is part of the problem

Get smart about your symptoms and your options, and make the best choice for YOU.

Sending cyberhugs
Unread 10-24-2001, 11:57 AM
Other advantages to supracervical

With laparoscopy, removing the uterus without the cervix is a safer proceedure because the surgeon is not working in the vicinity of the ureters & bladder. Also, the recovery can be faster and less painful because no ligaments have to be cut and sewn together. My doc told me the resting with the feet up stuff doesn't apply to me. I just thought it was a more holistic approach and better for me, for some of the reasons the HysterSisters already explained. Your health issues may point to other solutions. For example, if cancer is suspected, a laparoscopic supracervical hyst is out of the question because the uterus must be taken apart with a morcellator before it can be extracted through the tiny incisions.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register