weird question about bowel prep... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

weird question about bowel prep... weird question about bowel prep...

Unread 02-01-2008, 10:14 AM
weird question about bowel prep...

Hi everyone,

I'm doing my bowel prep on Sunday. I am just wondering something.... I know, this is going to sound weird, but everyone talks about how it's not fun. I totally get that. I understand why having to go run to the bathroom all day would not be fun.

But, one thing I'm wondering is do you feel sick during this experience? I know for me, when I have a stomach bug and as a result have to spend a lot of time in the bathroom (maybe ate something bad, or just a stomach bug), I know I don't feel good. I feel sick.

But, with bowel prep, do you feel sick during this? Do you feel like you do when you've ate something bad, or have a stomach bug and have bad diarreha?

Or, do you feel like you just have to have a lot of BM's, but do not feel sick. Is the horrible part just having to go #2 a lot?

I know I'll find out first hand on Sunday, but I'm trying to figure out in my mind if I'll feel sick and feel like not even talking to anyone, and will feel like sleeping all day, or if I'll feel totally normal, but just have to go #2 a lot?

Can you tell I'm a type A? Yup, I'm a planner.... even gotta figure out how my bowel prep will go. HAHA!!

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2008, 10:38 AM

Hey there Loves to Run.

The only thing that I can tell you is I didn't feel sick. I felt like a track star.

I to the bathroom - all day long. :run3:
Unread 02-01-2008, 10:45 AM

i didnt feel sick at all..its really no big deal. lots of diarrhea but no cramping or sick feeling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2008, 10:49 AM

I think part of how you feel, sick wise, depends on the type of bowel prep you use and how sensetive your stomach might be. I have drank the Fleet Phoso Soda twice and it instantly makes me sick to my stomach. The first bowel prep I did I cramped as well. The second one I didn't have the cramps.

Best wishes to you! I all goes well for you! S
Unread 02-01-2008, 11:00 AM

I have to admit my stomach is very sensitive and the fleet enema was no fun. My advice is to ask your DR. which laxatives are less harmfull. I did not prep well for mine because I was a chicken and did not do the enema complete. After my TAH my doc came to my room and was upset with me cause he found a lot of stool in my intestine and he had to remove it.

Good luck!!!!
Unread 02-01-2008, 12:35 PM

Thanks everyone.... I do not have a sensitive stomach, so hopefully I won't feel sick.

I'm laughing because I just realized that my screen name actually has two meanings now.... I am a runner, and so I love to run. But, on Sunday.... well, "loves to run" might take on a WHOLE new meaning!!!

well, I'll just do what I need to do.... I'll be cleansing my bowels while my family is watching the super bowl.

Thanks for all the help!
Unread 02-02-2008, 05:27 PM

Loves To Run

I forgot to suggest wipes, Someone else just asked about whether it made sense to get them and the answer is YES. After a while, even the best TP will start to get to you.

Sorry I forgot it earlier. I hope that you can get some before you have to start your adventure tomorrow.
Unread 02-02-2008, 06:28 PM

Hi Loves to Run

It has been great to read your posts today as I have gotten some comfort knowing that tomorrow both you and I are drinking the Fleets (do you know how you intend to drink yours yet??) and being on liquids - and then heading off on Monday for our surgeries.

I am drinking mine at Noon - it is in the fridge already - and I may pour it over some chipped ice and use a straw. I will have a white grape juice chaser. I am stocking the bathroom with Cottonelle wipes and baby wipes and will have plenty of crosswords and books set up in there tonight.

I think we will have at least 7 alarm clocks set for the 4:00 am wake up Monday as we have to be at the hosp at 5:30 am.

I am a type A and worry about things as well - and you have worried about some of the things I am worried about. so I mean it - tt really has given me some comfort to have read your posts today.

Jax
Unread 02-02-2008, 09:15 PM

Hi Renee,

Thanks for the tips on the wipes. We have a ton in our house because I have a 5 year old and 7 year old, and they still like to use the flushable wipes when they go to the bathroom, so we have a good stock in our house. Thanks for the suggestion. :-)

Jax, yes.... it IS nice to know someone will be doing this right along with me! Are you on the west coast, mid-west, east coast??? Just wondering if we're in the same time zone. Yes, I also have to be at the hospital at 5:30 AM, so I'll be setting my alarm for 4:30ish, too. The hospital is just 10 minutes from my house, and since I can't eat breakfast, I'm just making enough time to wake up, shower, get myself composed and then off to the hospital. We're dropping our kids off at my parent's on Sunday night, so we won't have to do any juggling with kids, which will be nice.

As for how I'll drink my Phospho.... I plan to drink it from a champange glass.... JUST KIDDING!! HAHA! I just have to put humor in everything these days since deep down, I'm really on edge. haha.

Now to be serious, I was given the instructions to drink 1 bottle of the Pohspho with 4 oz. of a clear liquid, or liquid you can see through. I think I'll mix mine with lemonade. So, I'm going to start that probably around 8 AM tomorrow morning (pacific time to be exact. haha!). I have my bottles of Phospho in the fridge, too. I'll see how it goes at first, and if need be, I can put crushed ice in it to make it more tolerable.

Then, I'll be drinking gatorade the rest of the day, and I got some Jell-o, so I'll eat that if I want variety. I also bought a can of broth.... (chicken broth), but that'll be a last resort to save my sanity, because I'm not a huge broth fan. But, my doctor said I could drink broth. He also said I could drink tea, as long as it was very diluted with water.

But, I really want to stay hydrated, so I'm goign to try to mostly drink gatorade and water, and result to broth or diluted tea until I am sick of a gatorade, water and phospho diet. :-) But, being an athlete, I'm used to chugging gatorade and other sports drinks, so I think I can tolerate gatorade most of the day tomorrow.

I'm glad I've been able to give you some comfort. I'm so type A! I do have the ability for sure to "go with the flow". But, I am a planner! So, I just like to know as much as I can know before something happens.

I have really enjoyed this site and have enjoyed asking a ton of questions! I figured the questions I am asking, someone else is bound to have the same questions.

Take care!! Have fun tomorrow... I'll for sure be on line checking these forums!

Take care!
Unread 02-02-2008, 09:25 PM

I am in the East (Florida to be exact) so I will be starting the liquid diet before you. But I take my Fleet at noon which is 9am your time - so it looks like you will be beating me to that part!

I'll be looking for you out hee tomorrow to see how you are doing.

I have popsicles, lollipops, juices, broth, jello, gatorade and even powerade (the hospital suggested that one). I have never had a sports drink in my life so this will be a first. All the sugar in it scares me to tell you the truth...but i will try it as it is meant to be a good tool in hydrating you. I bought the lemon-lime versions and the orange one. I hope one tastes good...

My Dr's nurse said I can have coffee in the morning with splenda and non-dairy creamer - so I will. Coffee and the newspaper ...normal sunday so I hope that holds the fear at bay for a while.

Jax

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register