2 1/2 weeks and still exhausted with constipation and weight gain. Sound familiar? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 1/2 weeks and still exhausted with constipation and weight gain.  Sound familiar? 2 1/2 weeks and still exhausted with constipation and weight gain. Sound familiar?

Unread 11-15-2012, 07:04 AM
2 1/2 weeks and still exhausted with constipation and weight gain. Sound familiar?

I decided to post, because I'm 18 days post-op from my da Vinci Total hysterectomy for endometriosis, fibroids and adhesions, and I'm still exhausted. I feel like I should be getting some energy back soon. I also have extreme constipation issues, that I'm hoping go back to normal, and are just part of the healing process. I've gained 7-8 pounds in the time since the surgery. I've been craving chocolate like crazy. The doctor put me on a low-dose of progesterone, but no estrogen, due to the endometriosis. I've had a few hot flashes, but nothing serious yet. Thank heavens for the wintertime, and the fact that I control the thermostat!! The doctor told me I could resume regular activities, with the exception of baths and sex, but I just don't feel up to it yet. Am I expecting too much too soon? Anyone out there with a similar situation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2012, 07:50 AM
Re: 2 1/2 weeks and still exhausted with constipation and weight gain. Sound familia

Today is three weeks since my DvH with two slings and repairs for cystocele and rectocele. I have been absolutely amazed at how limited the pain has been. At times, it is difficult to believe I really went through such a major surgery. However, I also am still dealing with constipation and some discomfort when my bowels move. I'm still taking a stool softener to ease that problem. And the energy level is deceptive: one day I feel great, and the next day all I want to do is sit in the easy chair.

I have also gained several pounds since surgery. I am assuming this is just from my lack of regular activity. Hopefully, when I get back to my active elementary music classroom after Thanksgiving, those pounds will drop off. Oddest of all has been my appetite. Normally, I rarely feel "hungry" and I eat small amounts. However, since the evening after surgery, every food I encounter looks fabulous. I've had a hard time staying away from "bad" foods that I normally resist. Fries and chocolate are right up there at the top!

I went through menopause a number of years ago, and just came off HRT last January. I believe the prolapse was already in progress, and the loss of hormones hastened the descent. At least I'm not having to cope with menopause at the same time I'm healing, although there have been a few night sweats and hot flashes during the past few weeks.

Over all, things seem to be progressing well. The surgeon says I'm healing quite well. My attention is beginning to focus again on work-related issues and household concerns. Truly, the hardest part is to reenter my life slowly without over-doing it.
Unread 11-15-2012, 08:16 AM
Re: 2 1/2 weeks and still exhausted with constipation and weight gain. Sound familia

Thanks for your reply. And yes, my appetite has so strangely increased, it's amazing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinme View Post
I also have extreme constipation issues, that I'm hoping go back to normal, and are just part of the healing process.
I am 3 weeks tomorrow and my main issue is severe constipation that is very much upsetting me. I have never in my life had issues with constipation and now I can hardly go and even when I try, it is difficult, I have to strain to even go.. I am worried I have something wrong like a herniation or prolapse due to the difficulty I am having.

How about you? I do not know what is causing this, if it's our healing process or not, but it's hell is all I know! lol
Unread 11-15-2012, 10:40 AM

Dear Cleveland Sports,
I normally have some constipation issues due to the fact that I have chronic pain, and am on medications that cause this problem in the first place, but nothing like what I am experiencing now. I am prescribed what is called "Lactulose" (a liquid laxative) by my pain clinic, but that's just not doing the trick. I am now also having to use in addition to this, Miralax, and Stool Softeners (Colace), as well. The ironic thing is, right after my hysterectomy, I had the opposite problem! I'm very concerned about this as well. If I don't have a BM for the day, I feel pain and pressure sensations all day that are very uncomfortable. I haven't really spoken to my surgeon about this, figuring it would take care of itself, but I have the same concerns as you. From what I've seen on this site, it is a common problem after surgery that I'm hoping corrects itself.

I agree 100% that we have enough to deal with that we don't need this as an issue as well. It is hell!!
Unread 11-15-2012, 10:54 AM

FYI-Just called my surgeon's office-They told me to continue with the medicines I'm using for the constipation, and give it a few more weeks to correct itself. Miralax and Colace is over-the -counter!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register