post op infection? normal? or Im crazy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

post op infection? normal? or Im crazy? post op infection? normal? or Im crazy?

Unread 07-28-2012, 12:57 AM
post op infection? normal? or Im crazy?

Hello sisters,
I've posted bits of this on other threads with little response but thought I give it another try with prompting from my sun shine sister.
A little background;I had LSH on may 17 th,due to failed ablasion causing scar tissue which trapped fluid/blood in uterus,ablasion march,20th 2012,and lots of pain.Needless to say it all happened fast.Started with a cyst on right ovary.F/u ultrasound was given dimensions of left ovary which was previously removed.Was then sch for a exploratory lap which they found scar tissue connecting colon to fallopian tube stump which was showing up as an ovary and ablasion for cycle that would last half the month since tubal in 09.That's the most important parts..lol..If I tried to put the whole story on here you would get bored and quit reading
So since surgery have had a constant dull ache lower right quadrant about where remaining ovary would be.It gets bad at times.Sometimes Sharp stabbing pain that runs into thigh but always the dull ache.Have bowel issues sometimes so been to gastro who said gyno related and gyno said gastro.So,I gave up and decided to give it time.That was around 1 month post op.It did seem to improve some but never went away.My time line may not be exact from here on out but gonna try my best.So around a month ago maybe I started noticing a clear mucus type discharge.No odor or itching so I figured since I still have ovaries maybe hormonal and let it go.Then maybe three weeks ago noticed 2 for lack of words boils down there.One close to left butt check which went away and one between girly bits and right thigh.That one was about the size of a pea and the whole right side of my girly bits hurt along with thigh and the same right side pain mentioned earlier.Went to urgent care because I feel like my doctor blows me off and is an hour away and not worth the drive.Urgent care says prob ingrown hair treated with 2 shots and oral bactrim.Pain improved boil goes down but could and can still feel hard spot where it was.DH and I have had intercoarse several times but bout 2 weeks ago maybe we did and hurt.Best way I can describe is felt like scratch in there and if he went deep had some discomfort.
Chalked it up to position and forgot about it.Then next time same thing and had some spotting.Still having the mucus type stuff which so dryness not an issue.Finally called gyno and nurse said needed apt for Dr to take a look.Got apt about a week later which was this last Monday due to work sch.While waiting on apt still continued right dull ache,thigh pain worse with sitting,added lower back pain and deep central pelvic pain.Went to apt gave the entire story including boil and discharge.Which I forgot to mention had increased by this point and kinda yellow.He heard antibiotics and jumped to yeast.Did not look swab nothing gave diflucan and said could take 12 weeks to fully heal he did not want to intervene before then?Got if filled started taken it by the next day discharge almost green and so much wearing panty liners daily.Called back office called in flagyl.So been taking that for 3 days.All the same pains still here.Discharge has returnee to yellow but same amount.Forgot to mention bout 6 wks post op had ultrasound for suspected ovarian cyst that was clear through urgent care,but not one person has done an internal exam since my surgery.I have no idea what this is or if I should be worried.It's hard for me to get off work since I've missed so much in last 6 months and that last visit he did nothing.Does anyone have any ideas.Online I've read some on cervicitis,PID and some symptoms fit but don't know if possible or know anyone that has been through it if it is.I do still have on ovary and my cervix.I'm just rambling at this point.If you are still reading thank you.Sorry it is so long and hope it makes since.Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks sisters
(((Hugs)))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2012, 01:33 AM
Re: post op infection? normal? or Im crazy?

(((((Big Hugs)))))

So sorry that you are dealing with this. From what you described it sounds like some sort of infection somewhere. They really should do a swab and culture of the discharge to see what it is and then they can give the correct antibiotics. Some infections can be a bit resistant and need to be treated with more than one round of antibiotics.

Be persistant with your doctor and INSIST on getting an exam. If that doctor won't listen or do it, then ask for your records and see another doctor.

I hope you get some relief soon.
Unread 07-28-2012, 02:07 AM

Thank you Elizabeth
Just so frustrating he did not do that while I wad there.Now gonna have to wait till I can get some time off work to go back.It just seems weird being an infection though since in past aprox. month I've had rocephine and one of the mycins injections and then oral bactrim.Then in last week flagyl and the diflucan.
It has been the longest 6 months ever.One thing after another after another.I wish I would have just had them remove every organ I did not need to survive while they where in there..appendix,gallbladder,spleen...lol...cervix,ovary and you can live with one kidney right..lmao
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2012, 04:53 AM

Hi Aleta,
I was just checking the boards and wondering how you were doing. I am sorry you are still having issues....this is such a long haul. Hope you feel better soon!!!
Unread 07-28-2012, 08:24 AM

I am sooooo sorry u r going through this. I too had discomfort during sex prior to hyst. I have one more week to go before i can resume having sex so i m hoping the pain is not there but the dr. Seems to think it was all the scar tissue that was causing all the discomfort. I too still have my cervix and ovaries. That could be the source of pain for u as well. As far as the discharge goes it is true that certain infections only respond to certain antibioctics so i also would have the dr. Check the discharge. If u do not get anywhere w ur dr and have no time to take off work how about going to the emergency room and telling them the ongoing problem w the discharge and maybe they can help. If it is an infection that too can cause sex to be painful/uncomfortable. Please keep us updated and my prayers to u that u will finally get some relief.
Unread 07-28-2012, 08:37 AM

Sorry you are going through this!! When I was reading about the boil, it kind of triggered a memory I had of years ago. I had suddenly developed what I thought was a boil down there, went to my doc who was totally stumped, then sent to er. They thought it was an abcess and treated it but it kept coming back. Turned out it was a fistula. So have they checked this out thoroughly just in case? And the er docs didn't have a clue about it until I insisted on another opinion and the colorectal surgeon took a look. Not very common so that might explain it. And I also had an infection with it. They almost cancelled surgery because of the infection until they realized it was caused by the fistula. I would demand that they do an exam, culture the discharge to make sure you don't have an infection. I have also had infections that they didn't diagnose correctly only to discover it had spread. It doesn't really sound like the medications are taking care of this. And for me that was the case. It really sounds like you have an infection or something going on that they need to figure out so they can fix it. Sending hugs
Unread 07-28-2012, 09:01 AM

Thank you everyone,
ER not really an option.I left out one part of the story about 15 days post op after getting over a virus I started having rectal bleeding,went to urgent care again,was admitted did CT scan and colonoscopy diagnosed with redundant and capious colon,internal hemorroids.Zenyetta,would they have seen at fistula at that time or would it have occurred at the time the boil presented?How large did yours get? When it was not inflammed could you still feel hardness under skin?
Sorry,got off subject.My bills are already adding up faster then I can pay with all this mess and our insurance changed June 1st so another new deductable.I can't afford to head to ER for them to tell me nothing is wrong.I hate our ER here.Went twice before hysterectomy and they would never even do an ultrasound.Maybe an urgent care?
Unread 07-28-2012, 09:04 AM

Don't know if it matters but path report on top portion of uterus showed adenomyosis.
Unread 07-28-2012, 09:06 AM

Zenyetta,If you don't mind me asking what was the medical term for your fistula?Maybe I can Google..lol
Unread 07-28-2012, 03:03 PM

Wow..I'm shocked as I type this crying..Just not feeling good today on top of everything already mentioned so thought I would go to urgent care.I went did urine test came back leukocytes 70/1+ protein 30/1+ ketones 5/ trace were the abnormal parts.I have been told in past possible UTI so was just asking questions.Was trying to ask since discharge drips could it have contaminated urine.She was not listening nor really answered keep trying to make me take antibiotics I'm allergic to even though I keep telling her I could not take them.Asked if she would just do an examine.All I meant was look since no one has since surgery and take some cultures.She told me to soon post op.I was trying to explain how I've been cleared for sex and released from Dr so I did not think that looking and swabbing would hurt.I'm crying during all of this because I'm just so frustrated and stressed at this point.She says I need to see gyno I said I plan on it but with work sch don't know when I will be able to go back so she then proceeds to tell me she will not go against another Dr and she can do nothing for me I should try the ER and walks outWHAT? How was I asking her to go against another DR.I've done what he asked.Took diflucan for yeast.Took flagyl and am still taking for bacteria but does not seem to be working.
I did say I did not think was urinary with the discharge and stuff but was just asking for explaination.Was not saying I knew more then her.You think she would have wanted to look and see where the discharge was coming from.
So I leave,go to cat bawling call hubby from car.He calms me down so I figure I should at least go in and get those results since I'm sure I will be charged for being treated like crap.Was not gonna say anything just get my results from reception.She is standing at desk and goes on to tell me that she called my gyno and told him of our conversation.WHAT? That's really gonna help me that I'm telling people I don't think he is listening to me.She said she told him I would not let her treat me for my UTI so he may be calling me later and she hopes I will let him treat me.I never said I did not want treatment just not with antibiotics that make my throat swell.I again tried to be civil.I said I think you misunderstood me I was just trying to ask if the discharge I was having could be causing a false positive for UTI.She said yeast will not do that.I said I don't think it is yeast.I don't know what it is that is why I asked you to take some swans to see what kind of infection it is.She said I already told you that you have an infection.Again crying and left.
I just can't believe it.I don't understand and have never been through anything like that in my life.Dr still has not called and if he does don't even know what to say.Yet again though,he has not called which obviously shows he is not worried about me as a pt or does not care one.I feel so defeated.I don't know what to do anymore.My boss is not being nice through this and I can't lose my job.I really do not feel good.My back,belly,neck head hurts.No trouble with urination though no fever.At this point really depressed though I can't stop crying and its been 2 hrs since I left.I have just lost faith in all doctors.I guess when I end up in the hospital or dead maybe they will care then

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register