breast bone to pubic bone incision | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

breast bone to pubic bone incision breast bone to pubic bone incision

Unread 08-24-2007, 01:40 AM
breast bone to pubic bone incision

Just a question has anyone else had one and what was the recovery like?

I have a very large (loaf of bread size) cyst on my left ovary, may be cancer (nurse said I was in for a long fight, but they cant really diagnose OvCa before biopsy so I don't know) the Dr said I would most likely loose one ovary possibly both or total hysterectomy. Because my cyst is so big I have to get the very large vertical incision and I cant find recovery time line, helpful hints etc for such a large incision. I get better details at my pre-op on the 30th but I was hoping to get some recovery advice/info beforehand, curiosity/ anxiety is driving me crazy. So anything would be helpful

Thanks,
Muddygal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-24-2007, 02:23 AM

Hi Muddygal,

I'm sorry that you are going through so much right now. I can't imagine what this must be like for you. I apologize, but I don't have any info on this one for you. However, I can assure you that you are in the right place! These women are AWESOME and make all the difference! : )

-Salam (peace)
Unread 08-24-2007, 04:10 AM

I have had 2 classical c-sections which involve the up down incisions. My obstetrician did a bikini line incision on the outside and an updown incision internally so that you could not see it. Second time round the internal incision went much higher cos he needed better access and i struggled with pain when i was out and about for a good few weeks after.

The recovery time from that was a bit longer I suppose but first time round I was up and about quicker than I thought and so long as you keep lifting etc to a minimum and do not overdo it you will be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-24-2007, 09:16 PM

Hi!

I had a very large incision, but it was horizontal (hip-to-hip). So it won't be exactly the same situation, but maybe you can draw some comparisons.

One thing I would suggest is an abdominal binder. For me, it was invaluable for a couple of reasons: First, it gave terrific support and really helped "hold things together". Secondly, it kept my bandages in place so I didn't have to mess with any of the nasty adhesive tape. I actually used two binders stuck together to get more coverage due to my panniculectomy procedure.

It may or may not take longer for your incision to heal because of its size. Mine did take 10 full weeks to close, but that was mostly because they left it "open" (only 2 or 3 staples for the entire length of the incision!) to heal from the inside out, which is common with panniculectomy patients. If your body tends to heal quickly, you may not have a long time of it at all. (My second c-section was a large vertical incision, and if I remember right, it was really pretty much closed at 3 weeks post-op).

Hope this helps.
Unread 08-24-2007, 09:30 PM

Dear MuddyGal,

I wish you all of the luck in the world!!!!! Ihave never had a c-section. But on Monday, I will know a little more. I did ask my doctor to PLEASE BIND ME SHE SAID YES OF COURSE......... THANKS TO THE WONDERFULL SISTERS ON HERE I would have never known! This site is GREAT AND SO HELPFULL! So many helpfull tips......... I am doing prescription xanax ( IT'S a god sent ) and the peppermint tea! I am also listening to calming music too, THANKS TO ALL OF THE WONERFUL SISTERS........... WE WILL ALL BE HERE FOR YOU...... THE HAVE HELPED ME LIKE THERE IS NO TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!! TALK WIYH YOU SOON...
Unread 08-24-2007, 11:02 PM

Thank you guys so much for your support and ideas about the binder. I will ask my dr. about it. (writing it on my list of pre-op questions right now so I don't forget)
I am so overwhelmed and the support from everyone here is so wonderful, I feel so needy of support and the people around me are trying but they are overwhelmed too, and don't know what to do. So I appreciate you guys so much.

I hate being this emotional its like permanent pms, with hot flashes and everything.

I will be praying for you greeneyes on Monday. I admit I'm a bit envious, wish my surgery were Monday, I will watch for an update. Best wishes
Unread 08-24-2007, 11:11 PM

Peppermint tea iced is not only calming, and helps with my nausea but really refreshing in the heat. So make a big pitcher and put it in the fridge if you want. yummy
Unread 08-24-2007, 11:19 PM

Pour me a glass Muddygal! My hot flashes are my only complaint (and they really aren't unbearable!).
My incision is from the belly button down to 'mid hairline'. I healed up just great! It is an incision that is over one foot long. However, it doesn't hurt, and no oozing, etc.
I won't lie to you. The first few days after surgery were painful - but NOT unbearable. My advice - walk walk walk! Walk as soon as the nurses let you even if it is uncomfortable. You will be on your way back to normal in no time!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register