Symptoms of an ovarian cyst | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Symptoms of an ovarian cyst Symptoms of an ovarian cyst

Unread 07-16-2008, 10:42 PM
Symptoms of an ovarian cyst

So I am not going nuts! Over the last couple of days I have been having pains in my left ovary area( and occasionally right), bloating, abdominal tenderness, rectal pressure, back pain, leg pain, and even some shoulder pain. Since I had a cyst previously I recognized some of the symptoms.

I went to my gyn about three weeks ago for other issues (prolapse, heavy bleeding, pain & stress incontinence.

I am embarrassed to call back for fear they will think I am trying to move up the surgery.

The Dr has referred me to a Urogynecologist, but I can't get in until end of August. I am hoping I can get all the tests/hoop jumping, etc done so I can have my surgery at the end of October. That would be the least disruptive to me (I teach Kindergarten). This is just frustrating!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-17-2008, 04:42 AM

The least disruptive would be right now - during your break. But, they usually want to do tests - make sure you are healthy and can take the surgery.
Strangest things happen to your body when that cyst is growing. I kept blaming gas, something I ate, constipation, anything but something wrong with that remaining ovary! After all, he did just physically see it when he took my uterus out but left that in there!

My doctor said there is no such thing as a stupid question, if it is a concern to me, he wants to hear it. If your doctor doesn't treat you the same, maybe he/she isn't the doctor you need.

Also, the squeaky wheel theory does apply here. If he/she does not know you are in pain, he will assume you are not.

He/she cannot read your mind. Nor will he/she try.

Sorry, didn't know if your obgyn is a man or woman!

Hugs and keep that chin up!

Carol
Unread 07-17-2008, 08:11 AM

I had cysts for 16 years, and what you described sounds very much like a cyst. I would also get this feeling like a water balloon was in my side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2008, 10:21 PM

Since I last responded to this thread I have had more symptoms...On saturday I began having a headache-felt like my eyeball was going to pop out of its socket! made me nauseous and I actually erupted (if you know what I mean!) I have been waiting for aunty Flow to make her visit and she is sure taking her time. Today I am having issues with the bowels- very crampy & frequent visits to get relief. My abdomen looks like I am 6 months pregnant! My pants are tight and I can hardly stand any pressure against tummy...it makes my nauseous. Still getting twinges on both sides of abdomen and aches down in the legs.

Is it normal for a cyst to effect your cycle? as in delay or different presentation?
Unread 07-28-2008, 11:20 PM

I went in for a CT last week when I started to not feel good AGAIN after my surgery. Come to find out I have a golf ball size cyst. Seems pretty small compared to everyone else. I can not imagine having one any larger with the pain I experienced with just the golf ball size one. Wow!!

I know I was having severe right side pain which is strange do to the cyst being on my left side??? I also felt crampy all the way around to my back. I also am feeling bloated, and I feel sick to my stomach.
I go back in next week for my 6 week check up from my hysterectomy my doctor said he wanted to re check the cyst in 6 weeks to make sure it was gone and said if it was not he might have to drain the cyst? I have not heard anyone else mention draining a cyst so please if anyone could inform me on this??
Unread 08-29-2008, 12:13 PM

Hillysplace, I now know what you mean about having a headache that feels like your eyeball is going to pop out. Yikes. Got one of those today. Are nasty headaches associated with cysts?

Kimmi and 88jr, you've just confirmed my worst fear -- that a cyst can show up suddenly and grow quickly. Even though I've been having symptoms exactly like when I had ovarian cysts previously, I kept telling myself that there couldn't be cysts because there was nothing on a CT scan I had 7 weeks ago (for something not GYN related). But you both seem to have developed cysts within a short time.

Did anyone have a tingling sensation in the breasts?
Unread 08-29-2008, 08:09 PM

with my serous cystendoma my pain was episodic. I had to stop running. it would sometimes rest on my rectum and that hurt like holy hell.
burning pain the lower right pelvic area. Also I wonder if it might not be the cause of my cystic acne. I guess only time will tell with it's recent removal.
Sometimes I could feel it moving, like a hard ball in there, it would bump into my bladder. ouch.
Oh and thin runny bowel movements when it rested on my bowels.
Then at times I could feel it, like it would come to the surface, and move left to right and then roll under my uterus. oh what fun. Then it would flutter like I was 22 weeks pregnant. very disconcerting. Doc called it my own little alien.
Now I lost 85lbs recently, and with my new lean body and aggresive running, that's pretty much how I found the pain. Finally convinced my self to go for a pap and the doc felt it. Sent me for an ultrasound and walaa!

Also it would at times delay my periods. if I had more pain after ovulating, that month my period would be about 1 week late.
Unread 08-30-2008, 04:23 AM

It amazes me what a cyst, big or small, can do. Add to it adhesions from past surgery and I swear, there's just pain everywhere sometimes it seems. I get a burning pain in my hip sometimes with it feeling a hole being bored through me to the front pelvic area. My sweet DH told me that he wished he could just take on the pain for me for awhile to give me a break from it...wouldn't that be nice!?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register