Scheduled LAVH So many question...... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

So many question...... So many question......

Unread 10-04-2009, 01:10 PM
So many question......

I have so many question and can never get my doctor to call me back. I'm scheduled for a full hysterectomy Oct 14. I have a lage cyst on my left ovary and a strong family history of ovarian cancer. I tested positive for the HPV virus in May. I am 32 years old and very nervous.

1. If the take both of my ovaries, they'll have to put me on hormones correct?

2. Do the hormones make you gain weight?

3. What are other side effects from hormones?

4. With my cervix gone, is my sex life going to change dramaticly?

5. After surgery, will I get my enegy back?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-04-2009, 01:23 PM
Re: So many question......

Hi,
I had my TAH/BSO on the 23rd of sept...I also had so many questions,, As for The Hormones My doc recomended me on that for Im only 31 yrs old. But you will have to talk to your doc about that...As for gaining weight lol... I dont know how that goes i have lost..but i have not been on them but 1 week. The sex life thats a suubject that i was worried about as well.. but its different for every woman..You will eventelly get your energy back but it will take time and healing.. im almost 2 weeks and tired bu i feel better in ways as well.. This was the best decision for me..As for your doc not getting back to you, They are busy but keep trying to call or take a trip to the office....I hope you get all the answers you need... take care and see you on the other side..
Unread 10-04-2009, 02:31 PM

HJohnson -

Glad you found us and you'll find many women here to provide personal experiences and advice. Here's some from me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjohnson76 View Post
1. If the take both of my ovaries, they'll have to put me on hormones correct?
Probably because of your age but not necessarily. You will want to talk to your doctor about what your options are. Some go on hormone replacement when in recovery, other doctors wait awhile and see what the symptoms are but you are young so they may want you to go on something early. ERT is estrogen replacement; HRT is hormone replacement and usually includes testosterone and / or progesterone.

Quote:
2. Do the hormones make you gain weight?
Some say "yes", some say "no". I lost a lot of weight during my recovery and have gained back a few pounds but with watching what I eat and exercise I have been doing okay so far.

Quote:
3. What are other side effects from hormones?
Depends on what type of hormones you are on and the side effects of those hormones.

Quote:
4. With my cervix gone, is my sex life going to change dramaticly?
Some say "yes" and some say "no". I can tell you I missed my cervix for awhile. I didn't have any issues prior to my cancer dx so my cervix became "collateral damage" in the surgery. Since I had to have a total hyster they had to take the cervix. So at first things seemed to be really strange and I had a hard time getting used to it. Now 10 months later things are getting more "normal".

Quote:
5. After surgery, will I get my enegy back?
Yes, but it will take awhile. Remember when the Dr. says recovery is x number of weeks they are talking initial recovery. This is major surgery so full recovery takes 6 monhs to a year.

Sending

G.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-04-2009, 07:40 PM

I had my LAVH when I was 37. I don't have ovaries and am on ERT. I have gained several pounds since surgery, but my exercise restrictions for the first several weeks and general lack of energy are contributing to that I'm sure. To be quite honest, I do feel that the hysterectomy/lack of hormones/hormone replacement/something of that nature is contributing to my weight gain. I don't think you have to take hormones, but it's definitely something you should discuss with your doctor. I stopped taking them for a few days and sure felt the effects quick.

As far as other side effects, I haven't noticed anything negative. I had major problems with depression and anxiety right after surgery and both of those seem to be under control now, thank goodness. I also don't have hot flashes and it's much easier to sleep.

As far as the cervix and sex, I'm probably not a good judge because my cervix was causing pain during sex so I was very glad to see it go. I have noticed differences during sex since surgery, but honestly I think they're positive changes. Sex is much less painful and much more satisfying.

I'm sure you'll get your energy back, but that's something I'm still struggling with! Drink LOTS of water, get lots of rest, and walk as much as your doctor will let you. When I do those things I feel much more energetic.

I had a very large cyst/tumor on my right ovary, and it was removed about 10 years ago. I know it's horrible waiting, but just know that the vast majority of cysts on ovaries are benign. Mine ended up being borderline ovarian cancer, and I haven't had any more treatment since cyst/tumor and ovary were removed.

Good luck! I hope everything goes well!
Unread 10-04-2009, 08:34 PM

Thank you for all your responses. The more information the better!!!
Unread 10-05-2009, 01:46 AM

Hi! You have come to the right place! I had my daVinci radical hysterectomy back in April and found this sight a few weeks prior... it got me through the anticipation (which is really one of the worst parts!) and put me in touch with women that were in the same boat. Very thankful for that.

I am younger, as you are. I'm 28, however, I was able to keep my ovaries so I can't answer the hormone questions. As for the cervix/sex question... The only thing negative that I have experienced is that I no longer have the super intense uterine contractions that I used to have. Not all women have those, so it isn't a big deal to everyone. I am able to reach orgasm normally, do not have to use any lubrication, and have noticed sex to be easier! I wouldn't say that I had pain before, but definitely borderline, and definite discomfort. I have none of that now. All in all, I would do this a million times over!

As for recovery... At three weeks I hit a rut, took a few steps back due to a catheter issue, but after six weeks I really noticed my energy coming back. At six months, I feel just like I did before.

Best of luck to you, prayers for a speedy recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register