Any answers? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-04-2000, 07:33 AM
Any answers?

I had a laparoscopy 2 weeks ago and discovered endometreosis literally everywhere. I am 30 years old, have had 4 laps (for ovarian cysts, endo, pelvic pain, etc.). My regular GYN put me on Lupron and it is reeking havoc on my body. Mood swings, crying spells, hot flashes, muscle aches. I had a second opinion with the doctor who delivered most of my 12 neices and nephews and he says I'm just delaying the need for a hysterectomy. My husband and I have discussed this for several years and have decided it's the best decision for me. We go to the 2nd opinion doctor on the 6th to let him know what we decided. How long does it usually take to schedule the actual surgery? How long is the recovery for most of you? Will I be back at work in 4 weeks? What about weight gain and mood swings with the hormone therapy? I will be having a TAH. Anything I need to know that they don't tell you in the literature? Any advice or prayers you can give are really appreciated.
Deb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2000, 07:46 AM
Any answers?

Hey Deb.... You sound much like me in some ways. I just had a lap done a couple of weeks ago after being in severe pelvic area pain. The doc found me riddled with endo. He had initially gone in to try to take care of any he found, but found so much that he closed me up and we then discussed the hysterectomy.

Over the two week span of time between the initial diagnosis and the lap I had done a lot of reading up on the subject. I also took into consideration my genetics. Both of my sisters had a hyst this year. Imagine all 3 of us being "crowned" in the year 2000. Go figure!

My older sister inherited the fibroid tumors. My younger sister the endo, and me the endo. My mother had both and had a hyst by age 33. Back then you had to get your hubby's approval for a hyst. Imagine that!??

Anyway... I've got a massive amount of endo and really had no clue till a month ago. Had simply attrtibuted the debilitating back pain and heavy periods to age. I managed to get my surgery scheduled pretty quickly I think. This all started happening a month ago and I'm due in the operating room in 3 days. Yikes!

I also managed to get a urologist involved and am having major bladder repair done at the same time. I'm having it all taken out and the doc predicts 2 to 4 days in the hospital. As for recovery, I'd imagine you'd want to take it easy for at least a month, if not more. I've heard 6 weeks is a good figure. I would imagine that the question of how quickly you get back to work depends on what you do for a living. I mean, if you're a construction worker I think I'd take a year. Now, if you're sitting behind a desk that's a different story. I've been blessed in that I don't have to worry about returing to a full time job outside of the home. Any other time I would be whiggin out about missing time from work. I pray that you have an understanding and very supportive employer. If not.... no time like the best to teach them a thing or two about compassion.

YOu can IM me any time you like or email me at the address below.
Unread 12-04-2000, 07:51 AM
Any answers?

Hi Deb.
You have come to the right place. I had a TAH just about 4 weeks ago, and there is no way I am ready to go to work. It takes about 4 to 6 weeks, some take up to 8 weeks. But you are not complety healed until 6 to 12 months later. The first few weeks you are healing inside as well as outside. Your incision may be healed in 4 weeks, but the inside takes longer. You will be limited on what you can and cannot do. You may feel better and want to get back into the swing of things, not a good idea. You will read here of others that have tryed that and had a setback. This is not like a c-section. Others here will tell you that. So if someone trys to tell you that they bounced back from a section right away, it is a different type of surgery. Ask any and all questions you may have and you will get answers. If you would like to ask me any questions you might have just click on the card icon at the end of my post and I will try and answer the best I can. Take Care!

Hugs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2000, 07:52 AM
Any answers?

My gyn. got me scheduled in for surgery within 2 weeks...but I had a strange looking cyst on ovary that she was suspicios of...guess it just depends on surgery schedule at hospital and gyn. schedule.

Initial recovery time is 6 - 8 weeks. I had tah/bso and went back to work 1/2 days at 7 weeks post...some women have gone back sooner..just depends on what type of work you do and how you're feeling.

I had estrogen patch put on the day after surgery and opted to take daily estrogen pill when I got home. I haven't had any problems (so far)...moods are more stable than they've been in years.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Unread 12-04-2000, 07:54 AM
Any answers?

Hi Deb,

You have come to the right place for info! The "busy-level" of the Dr. and the hospital will determine how soon you can get your hyst. Initial recovery for a TAH is 6-8 weeks, and most women don't return to work full-time until then, even with "sitting jobs". This is a major surgery with loads of internal stitches as well as your external incision...total healing takes months.

Plan to spend those early weeks doing a lot of resting with your feet UP. Resting is so crucial to a good recovery, and it will be your only chance to heal properly.

For info about hormone replacement therapy (HRT), please check out our Hormone Jungle board, which deals specifically with those issues.

To really get around this site to find a lot of your answers, please check out our "Hop To More!" pull-down menu on the upper left of the page, right under the HysterSisters logo.

For lots of good info in a handy reference, I STRONGLY recommend you order "Through The Land of Hyster: The Hyster Sisters' Guide". It is wonderfully written with lots of fun and imagination, and MOST helpful. You can order it by going to the lower left of page and clicking on the image of the book.

Welcome to this site, and best wishes to you as you prepare for your surgery. At almost 5 months post-op, I wish I had done it sooner!

Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register