Anyone else dealing with blood complications ? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone else dealing with blood complications ? Anyone else dealing with blood complications ?

Unread 03-15-2008, 09:22 AM
Anyone else dealing with blood complications ?

Hello to all, My surgury is scheduled for April 3rd, and they are very concerned about my iron and Hemoglobin levels.. even to the point of contemplating either
A - infusing with more blood.. or B- moving the surgery date up for emergency surgery..
has anyone else had this problem ? These Fibroids, i think are throwing a fit, cause they know their demise is coming soon ! haha
they have given me meds to stop the bleeding, and iron supplements, but the bleeding keeps starting back up again, and my #'s just keep dropping ..... any input appreciated,, I think the relief of having this agony end, is starting to over ride my fear of the surgery itself !

Hugs to you all !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2008, 12:15 PM

Hi! I just had a blood transfusion yesterday. I was very scared to do that, but all went well. It was not too painful and the nurses were great! I had to have one because my surgery is in two days (3/17) and my hemoglobin count was 8.7. Now, keep in mind that my hyst is going to be for the endometrial cancer that I have, but my nurses told me to try laying down with my feet up to help with the bleeding and clotting that I am doing. I do have a fibroid in there too, and am on my period. So far, the lying down has helped. You might give it a try, and try to not worry if you have a transfusion, they aren't too bad. HTH
God bless you and yours
Deb
Unread 03-15-2008, 02:06 PM

Hello ! and thank you for posting !.. yes my hemo count was also 8.7 .. I thought maybe my dr. was just being over cautious ? wanting to up the surgery date.. altho. I have been laying for what seems like weeks with my feet up .. seems like i cant get anything done , due to the bleeding.. Thanks so much for the blessings,, right back at you with hugs and prayers for your upcoming surgery..!
Will be saying extra prayers for you !
God bless.... !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2008, 04:44 PM

I have also been working at raising my iron numbers. I was at a 9 then two weeks later was at 8, two weeks after that I am at 10. Did your Dr. have you take iron supplements? My Dr. started me out on over the counter stuff, then switched me to a super mg iron pills -- those got me too dehydrated. Instead we have switched to doubling up on my over the counter pills. Also, take them with Vit C (helps iron absorb into your system) preferrably on an empty stomach. Stay away from dairy and fiber (that hinders iron absorbtion). And I have been focusing on eating beef (steak & hamburger) and dark veggies. So, I have been taking my iron pills with oj and having juice or water with my meals.

I am hoping that my next period doesn't take my numbers down too far. My last couple of periods have lasted around 3 weeks. I have been less active so that I don't put any additional strain on my system. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, buyt it seems logical for me.

Those are my tricks. Hope they are helpful and work for you : )

Keep fighting the fight. You got a great bunch of people here to back you up!

Hugs to you too : )
Unread 03-15-2008, 08:06 PM

I had severe hemorrhaging episodes--5 altogether--that dropped my blood levels down to 6.3 at the lowest. I had 10 units of blood transfused, 8 during emergency hysterectomy surgery. I was nervous about getting the transfusion because of the potential risks, but it was fine. It doesn't feel weird or anything--just like a normal IV in your arm. I was too scared about the hemorrhaging episodes & hysterectomy to worry about the transfusions, really. GL!
Unread 03-15-2008, 08:48 PM

I too have complications with bleeding which have put off my surgery date. Last October I was hospitalized with a hemoglobin of 4.6 and just last week was in again with 5.2. With transfusions they can get me back up over 8 and can keep me in the 8/9 range until another bleeding episode. Catch 22 ... with low numbers it's not safe for surgery ... I need surgery so I stop bleeding! The ob/gyn put me on megase this time around and it really seems to be helping with the bleeding. I can't wait for my hysterectomy!

Butterfly-kiss ... what medication are they using for you to stop the bleeding? Take care of yourself!

katestlouis
TAH scheduled for 5/5/08
Unread 03-15-2008, 09:56 PM

I had no idea I was so anemic until I went in for my pre-op clearance about 2 1/2 weeks before my surgery. My hemoglobin at the time was 7.1. I bought chelated (kee-lay-ted) iron and a women's multi from the local health food store and popped 2 iron and 1 multi every day before surgery. The day before (or morning of, I forget), my hemoglobin was 9. Still low, but good enough for surgery. I lost about a pint and a half (700cc) during surgery, and about 3 or 4 days later, my level was 6.5. Never did get a transfusion and since my body was so used to having very low levels, never had any symptoms besides being tired.

I have no idea what it is now, but since I'm not bleeding and have kept up on the multi and occasionally the iron, I'm guessing relatively normal.

And for the record, the reason I take chelated iron is because I'm allergic to almost all the other iron supplements. It's not necessarily a "better" form, it just doesn't make me sick!

Roberta
Unread 03-16-2008, 03:46 AM

Wow girls ! thank you for all the support and postings,, glad to know im not going this alone, there are similar stories, altho i wouldnt wish this on anyone,, ( i dont mean that ) - i am taking Repliva Iron,, it is Not very stomach friendly, so we have cut the pills in half, yes i do take them with the vitamin C's and have tried to eat meat, and also i pretty much Cant do much except lay still with feet up.. arrrghhh- lol - katestluis - I hope you are feeling so much better the medicine they have me on is called..Norethindrone - it also makes me naseous as does the iron, for a while i couldnt keep either of them down - with the hemmoraging going on that made for a bad mix,, i am working on keeping the pills down, feet up and hoping my #'s go up so i can get this over with !
Thanks girls for all the support !!! its so comforting !!
Hugs and Chocolates to all my sisters !!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register