Vaginal hysto leaving cervix? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vaginal hysto leaving cervix? Vaginal hysto leaving cervix?

Unread 06-03-2008, 12:12 PM
Vaginal hysto leaving cervix?

Does anybody know or has anybody had a Vaginal Hysto but leaving the cervix? My Dr seams to want to remove all but i want my cervix left unless there is a good reason why it needs to be removed as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-03-2008, 12:32 PM

My dr says there really is no point in keeping your cervix. I was orginally going to keep mine but if I keep it I would still have to have paps, I might still have mini periods and the chances of cervical cancer go up.

If I take it I might have to deal with some dryness but that is an easy fix, but the recovery is longer. He also told me that most woman that leave it are back in to have it taken out.

Sorry I did not really answer your question but that is what I know. I am having an LAVH.
Unread 06-03-2008, 01:13 PM

my doc gave me the choice to keep it or have it removed. I asked pro's and con's. If you keep it, you still have to have paps and there is still a risk of cancer. If you have it removed, there is a higher risk of having something called "bladder drop". Bladder drop would require additional surgery at a later date to place the baldder in a "sling".

I would rather take my chances and still have to have pap's. Its a good reminder for me at continue to keep up on my women's health issues since I have my mammogram at the same time I have have my pap.

Just my $.02

Julie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-03-2008, 02:00 PM

if youre scheduled for a vaginal hysterectomy, your cervix must be removed. what is your dr's reason for wanting to remove it? is it healthy?
i chose to have the lsh and kept my healthy cervix and ovaries. i didnt go through surgical menopause and have no mini periods. i also dont mind going for a yearly pap..its a good time to have a physical.
if you want to keep yours, please discuss it with your dr further and ask her what other options she can offer you. if she cant, you might want to get another opinion. sometimes a dr will only offer what they are trained to do..not all dr's are trained to do laparoscopic surgery.
good luck with your decision.
Unread 06-03-2008, 02:34 PM

I had to have cervix removed but my understanding is that if you have a vaginal hyst. you have to take the cervix.
Unread 06-03-2008, 03:07 PM

scrapbooklover

As mentioned above, with a vaginal hysterectomy the cervix is removed as part of the procedure. It's not possible to leave it intact, I'm afraid. If you wish to keep it then please don't hesitate to discuss your concerns with your doctor, or seek a second opinion.

Sending all good wishes!

Unread 06-04-2008, 04:38 PM

Ummm i will have to ask more questions when i go to see the GP maybe i shall ask to be referred to a different Dr this time........
Thanks for your help :-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register