How long will gas & indigestion last? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long will gas & indigestion last? How long will gas & indigestion last?

Unread 09-06-2008, 05:43 PM
How long will gas & indigestion last?

I'm almost 6 weeks postop. For the first week after my TAH, I had the most hideous gas pains I've EVER had in my life; felt like the gas was jockeying with my lungs for room. That definitely settled down after 1 week, but now my innards are so very sensitive to what I eat. I'm not eating much due to a reduced appetite, but I never know what is going to result in either indigestion, gas, and/or burping a lot.

I take a prilosec otc each day for acid reflux (been taking that a few years). I keep a bottle of tums by the bed and take an occasional gas-x.

So far, the only things that don't cause this are my daily breakfast of pills & supplements chased down by a glass of Instant Breakfast, and Boarshead low-salt ham on an English muffin. Sweet tea is also my friend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2008, 07:08 PM
How long wil gas and indigestion last?

I'm having similar problrms since my TAH on 8/22. I had equally hideous gas pans when I returned from the hospital. Despite lots of fiber and liquids it took 5 days from surgery to have a bm. Since then I have not had constipation but I get pretty uncomfortable gas pains within 10-15 minutes after eating ANYTHING! This has continued every day. The pains last anywhere from a couple minutes to a half hour before subsiding. I am pretty much back to regular eating, although I'm trying to be careful as I'm getting little exercise (none other than walking my dog). I'm curious to know if anyone else is having these issues.
Unread 09-06-2008, 10:27 PM

I'm almost 5 weeks out and I still have gas pains at times. I'm still taking the Gas-X after meals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2008, 11:18 PM

My main issue at week 7 is the bloating and gases, I am also very irregular and have had to change my eatung habits alot, I can't drink coffee anymore and am trying to eat more fiber, fruit and vegetables as well as wholw wheat bread. On the bright side I've lost almost 8 pounds but still am concerned about my indigestion and bloating.

Take care.
Troguis
Unread 09-07-2008, 07:38 PM

Thank you for your responses, everyone. Even if I can't do anything about it (I think I'll be more liberal with the gas-x, though), it's nice to know I'm not alone, and I'm sorry that it's so uncomfortable for you-all as well.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register