to keep or loose ovaries... that is the question! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

to keep or loose ovaries... that is the question! to keep or loose ovaries... that is the question!

Unread 03-05-2009, 04:05 PM
to keep or loose ovaries... that is the question!

I'm brand new to this site. I am excited for my pain to end when my laproscopically assisted vaginal hysterectomy at the end of the month. Luckily it's only indicated by my "boggy" uterus and chronic abdominal pain, nothing scary.
My question is should I have my ovaries removed too? The doc says it's up to me. I've had the night sweats for 4 years already, hot flashes this year, insomnia for over a year- why should I keep the ovaries? Sounds like I'm menapausal already (thought I'm not)....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2009, 04:34 PM

Yes you are in menopause.....but what I have read and check with your doctor...you will continue to make hormones even after menopause. And these help protect your heart and bones. Now, if your ovaries are making you sick....get those puppies out. If you have a history of ovarian cancer, take them out. You need to go over the benefits of your ovaries with your doctor. Take care and good luck!!!
Unread 03-05-2009, 04:40 PM

if your ovaries are healthy you might want to serioiusly think about keeping them. they are still providing you with hormones and continue to do so after menopause. if you have them removed, you will go into surgical menopause, which is a lot different than natural. try to research..google surgical menopause, ovary removal, etc. also, if you have them removed, your dr should have a hormone replacement plan for you. good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2009, 04:50 PM

I am keeping mine, unless they find an issue while they're in there.

I don't want to go into surgical menopause, and I do not want HRT if it isn't needed.

Please research this as much as possible and ask your doctor whatever questions you might have. It's a serious decision, so be sure you're comfortable with the decision you make.
Unread 03-05-2009, 06:23 PM

I had my TVH/BSO on Tuesday, 3/3/09, and there was some discussion between me and my doctor about whether to keep my ovaries or not. I just turned 30 in Sept. 2008. Ultimately, he left it up to me and I said get them out of there. I have struggled with endo for 16 years and I have a family history of ovarian cancer. He was concerned because my family also has history of osteoporosis. I have so far not decided on HRT, but will discuss it more in depth at my follow up appointment on the 18th. So far, I feel absoluely wonderful. I am in so much less pain than I was the morning of my surgery. I would have never thought that I would wake up from major surgery feeling better than I did when I was put under!!! It is truly amazing what the body can become accustomed to. By all means, discuss this with your doctor and search your heart and soul. This is something that you can never take back and I would hate to see you regret your decision later in down the line. I wish you all the luck in the world and I hope that you will let us be a part of your support system. Let us know how things work out.

Melissa
TVH/BSO 3/3/09
d&c, laparoscopy, hysteroscopy, ablation 2000, 2003, 2005
way too many med therapies to list
several other abdominal surgeries
Unread 03-05-2009, 08:24 PM

Crabbymd....the answer to your question....there is no cut and dry answer. For years doctors automaticly would remove a womens ovaries..theory was we didn't need them....now studies show different. But each persons body is different and thank goodness we are allowed to make a choice. Yes, we all wish we had that crystal ball that we could look into and see ourselves 20 years down the road, but we don't. Try to educate yourself as much as possible and decide what YOUR body needs. And I hope your doctor is the kind of person that does not mind answering all the questions and giving you much needed information so you can make the best choice possible.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register