Having a bowel movement | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Having a bowel movement Having a bowel movement

Unread 06-03-2012, 09:49 AM
Having a bowel movement

I am so nervous about pooping! I am post op day 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Re: Having a bowel movement

The anticipation is the worst part. Be sure to take stool softeners and drink lots of water. Do not let yourself get constipate. Try to eat foods that help soften to...fruits etc. all my surgeries that was always the biggest fear. Once ylu are able to though...you will feel much better.
Unread 06-03-2012, 12:18 PM
Having a bowel movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wick View Post
I am so nervous about pooping! I am post op day 2
I am 2! I have been taking my stool softner, eating activia and lots of fresh fruit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-03-2012, 12:43 PM

Hi!

I had a complete hysterectomy with everything removed including ovaries - it was all diseased. Luckily, I was stage 1A, The uterus also had to be surgically separated from the bladder and intestine since they had grown tightly together. So maybe my experience isn't typical.

For me, I think having a bowel movement was the hardest part of the surgery. I tried to do everything right - took the stool softeners (colace), ate prunes, drank lots of liquids, etc. Then, five days after surgery, I was still needing to go. The pain was really bad. I didn't go before the surgery for a couple of days since I was on a liquid diet for 24 h before and nothing 12 h before.

I had tried three enemas. No luck! I tried regular meds to help constipation. Nothing! Finally, in desperation I remembered the liquid magnesium citrate I used for a bowel cleanse before my first colonoscopy. I could barely walk due to the colon pain and build-up of gas by then. My husband went to the store and got it and I swollowed it down. A few hours later - success. After that, I very quickly returned to normal - I continued to use the colace stool softener for several weeks. I am 6 wks post right now and feeling great in every way!

My doctor told me that I should not have taken such a drastic step - I told him that he couldn't imagine how much pain I was in and I had to do something!

I think doctors discount how much pain and discomfort this causes after hysterectomy.

Anna
Unread 06-03-2012, 01:07 PM

Candied ginger and papaya ... just saying. Add them to your diet.
Unread 06-03-2012, 01:29 PM

Totally understand that!

I didn't have problems getting the intestines working again post-op, thankfully. As soon as I was allowed solid foods, I had a couple of Activia yogurts, some salads, bran muffin, and had a couple of prune juices, coffee, and tea (not all at once though, lol) I also started Miralax the day after surgery. I liked the powder as it was tasteless and disolved nicely in juice or tea. I drank plenty of water also. My first BM was later that night and not painful at all.

I continued to use the Miralax once a day even after I got home for about 5 or 6 days.
Unread 06-03-2012, 04:12 PM

Thanks! I've been doing all those things and today started passing gas- wow- what pain and then relief! I am trying to walk around the house a few times also- I look like an 80 year old
Unread 06-03-2012, 04:25 PM

Wick,
I am day 9 and finally had success this morning. Lots of pain and pressure and work, but feel much better. I am still very, very bloated and tight in my tummy so I am going to try the activia (I can't stomach anymore raisin bran!). I also considered the Magnesium citrate, but just did that prior to surgery and I didn't think I could stomach it again. I think that if I could just get this bloating down, my stomach might not be so tender.
Good luck
Unread 06-03-2012, 06:10 PM

Day 9! Congratulations! You poor thing ....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register