Overwhelmed | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 07-26-2004, 09:48 PM
Overwhelmed

I just turned 36 on the 12th of July. On the 22nd of July, my Surgeon recommend a LAVH - BSO.

I guess I'm kind of numb and I am not sure how I feel about the surgery. I have had multiple problems over the past 15 years, but have been blessed with two wonderful children and a great husband. For the past two years I have had very heavy bleeding with large clots. My periods last from 12 to 14 days. In May, the surgeon performed a D&C and discovered a 3 cm fibroid. No improvement in my periods. The doctor stated I have other options, but since I am not planning on having more children he thinks the best option is hysterectomy. We decided to take the ovaries because of painful cysts.

At this point, I am so sick of bleeding all of the time, I am ready to have everything taken out, but the thought of HRT makes me very nervous. One person told me that if I don't take them, my risks of heart problems and stroke are elevated. If I do take them, my risks of breat cancer are elevated. I am also very worried about my hormonal state. I feel like I have been on a roller coaster anyway the past 7 months. What is going to happen when they take my ovaries?

My husband is for the surgery. The problems have greatly hindered our intimacy and although he never says anything, I know it bothers him.

My surgery is scheduled for August 9th. Any messages of hope will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2004, 10:13 PM
Overwhelmed

You have come to the right place to find out about all of the options available! This is a very supportive and informative site!

I know how you feel about finding out that a hysterectomy is the best option recommended by your doctor. I felt the same way when I heard those words. I was excited about the idea of having no more endless days of bleeding but scared, nervous, unsure and numb. I found a lot of answers I was looking for right here. You are not alone!

I wish the very best to you in your journey! I hope and pray that everything goes well for you!
Unread 07-26-2004, 10:51 PM
Overwhelmed

's to you dear sis!
I noticed the 'views' here so I'll reply. I'm not going to comment on the medical part, because I don't know.

But I do know that I hope that you feel better real soon and that 'overwelmed' feeling is completly normal. I too get that way these last few weeks, and sometimes I think I'm , however, I know from others here that I am normal indeed!!! So that makes me feel a bit better. My surgery is this Thursday, and I've noticed in myself that I'm not myself, ya know? But soon we will be on the road to recovery, and everything will be ok.

Take care and you are on my prayer list....Many good things I pray for you, that all will go well, and your recovery will be smooth.

Love your hyster-sister , Eileen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2004, 01:42 AM
Overwhelmed

awww investigator sorry to hear youre suffering *hugs*

I had exactly the same worries as you re the HRT. But as my gynae explained to me im only replacing hormones which i wouldve still been producing so have no need to worry about the elevated risk of breast cancer untill i reach the age of when natural menopause wouldve hit. And even after that the risk i dont believe is that high....think its only something like 1 or 2% higher....i guess its balancing the risk of not taking it as apposed to taking it and for me right now the risk of not taking it far out ways the benefits im getting from taking it.

And i will say i dont feel any different in anyway...i was so worried that i would if anything i feel so much better mentally...im not on the hormonal roller coaster anymore and my mood is so much calmer and even.

Good luck honey im sure everything will work out just fine...its just a huge shock for you right now...but keep coming here and talking and gaining knowledge...i found that so important the more i knew the more i was able to accept the situation.

z
Unread 07-27-2004, 01:46 AM
Overwhelmed

hmm not sure if that made sense...what i meant to say was that the benefits im getting from taking HRT far outways any risk there might be....but its a personal thing you must do what is right for you xx
Unread 07-27-2004, 12:56 PM
Overwhelmed

Im in menopause now so dont know if I will be of any help but its not that bad guys, hot flashes are no big deal and boy do I get them, but good old uterus still wants to flood so it has to come out but I will not take HRT and I have not with no problems, I had to have the worse pms in history, but I am sure you will all disagree with that, youll be fine, once you sit and talk with your doctor and know your tolerance for certain hormones, you may decide you dont even need them..My bone density is fine and all it well, will be better after surgery though!!Good luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register