Surgery date | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-04-2001, 09:12 AM
Surgery date

Hi everyone,
Well I posted about my abnormal bleeding, and was trying to make a decision on hysterctomy or depo shot. Talked to my Dr. today, he says he thinks I have adenomyosis. I also have a blatter problem that he says he can fix while he is in there. Anyway surgery (TAH) is set for June 28th. I'm scarred!!! Seems funny, because for so many years I always said if I were ever offered a hysterctomy, I would jump on it, because of all the pain and bleeding. But now that it has become an option, I've got cold feet. I'm afraid that sex will be different, and the issues of hormones is a concern too. He is taking my overies out, and I've heard that it causes sexual problems. But all in all I do want my life back. I think once the recovery is all over, I will have a whole new life, without blood and pain. Well, thank you all for listening.
Brenda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-04-2001, 09:22 AM
Surgery date

Hi Brenda, I had my hyster 8 weeks ago (they also removed my ovaries). I was able to resume the honeymoon this week and it was wonderful...it's even better. I'm on homones, and I feel better than I did before the surgery. No more bleeding, pain and worry. This is the best thing I've done. Good luck to you and it will be ok!!!
Longlash
Unread 05-04-2001, 09:33 AM
Thank You for your input!!

Hi Longlash,
Thank you so much for sharing that with me. Did your husband say anything was different for him? I am worried that my husband won't enjoy it as much any more, because arn't you different, especially when they take the cervix? I know this all probably sounds pretty silly to be worried about something like this, when there are probably other concerns I should be dwelling on instead of sex, but I have a great relationship with my husband, we've been married for 22 years. I just don't want anything to come between us. Am I being stupid?Anyway your experience helped me a lot.
Thanks So Much.
Hugs, Brenda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-04-2001, 09:48 AM
Surgery date

Hi Brenda!

It is definitely not silly to be worried about sex! I know it is a very important part of my marriage, and I was worried too.

I kept my ovaries, but I did have my cervix removed. In my case at least, neither my husband nor I can tell any difference without the cervix! I have no difficulties at all with lubrication or orgasms, and he can't feel any difference.

Good luck and hang in there!
Unread 05-04-2001, 09:55 AM
chuckling

I'm chuckling because my doc tells me that she can't understand how my husband and I manage to have sex with my prolapsing, way over size uterus taking up all the room.

Husband (of 12 years) says he doesn't know what she's talking about. We are very much in love and have a fabulous sex life.

My surgery is June 4th. I'm having TAH and my remaining ovary removed. A little nervous, but the best marriages I know have been through hyster and more. And my friend who have had the surgery are so much happier with their love lives now that their problems are resolved.

We've talked about it, and my husband and I are looking forward to: having sex more often, now that I won't be bleeding half the month; having "more room" to enjoy each other without everything falling into my vagina (actually, this is my thought since husband swears he can't feel anything out of the ordinary); not waking up in puddles of blood several times each month. Don't know how he's stood it all these years!

Figure that if he can survive the last 7 years of "ick", he should do fine post-ick.

Our attitude is that this will be a terrific time to rediscover each other all over. Will it be "different"? Don't know. But it's gotta be good, because we're terrific together.

GOOD LUCK!
Unread 05-04-2001, 10:07 AM
Surgery date

Dear Len,
What a great post!
My surgery isn't for 10 days, but my patient counselor says that nothing the dr will do during surgery should have any effect on my sex life.
I agree - if you and your partner are terrific together - you can deal with anything!
Dianne
Unread 05-04-2001, 11:03 AM
Thank you all so much

I can't tell you all how much you have eased my mind. My husband and I are very much inlove, and like Len, if we can get through all the years of pain and puddles of blood then this should be easy. I am so happy I found this site. Everyone is wonderful, and I love you all for your support and understanding.
Hugs to Everyone!!!
Brenda
Unread 05-04-2001, 09:08 PM
Surgery date

Brenda and Len, I had my TVH in December 2000. I kept my ovaries.

I can vouch for it: sex after an hyst is different: for me it has been oh so much better

If you do a search on "sex" you will see that this question keeps coming back. That's because it is a valid concern

Remember: the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask.
Unread 05-04-2001, 09:32 PM
Surgery date

Brenda
I did the Depot Lupron shots over a year ago. They were TERRIBLE. I reget taking 5 months of them. I also have a date... June 18 for TAH/BSO. (I wish it was tomorrow) I will be a nervous wreck by then. But it can not be worse than what I go through now.
Coleen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register