traveling at 2 weeks post op??????? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

traveling at 2 weeks post op??????? traveling at 2 weeks post op???????

Unread 03-13-2003, 09:03 AM
traveling at 2 weeks post op???????

Hi everyone-I am having LAVH this coming monday the 17th- is it totally out of the question to travel from nc to florida in a car at the end of my 2 weeks--just going to see friends so it will be really relaxing- and my bf will be driving -but will the car ride down there be ok???? Thanks in advance for your replies.

love,

brenda

:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2003, 09:11 AM

hi there. i think you will find it rather uncomfortable to drive any distance.. from my own experience i am only just able to sit in a car.. with a little discomfort still.... vh, b.repair on 20/02.. everyone is different ofcourse... maybe have a few short drives and see how you go... best wishes to you.... mary.
Unread 03-13-2003, 09:15 AM
traveling

It is very uncomfortable to ride in the car not only 2 weeks after, but even 3 weeks after. And, I think travel really wears you out. I would ask the doctor, but my advice would be postpone your trip. That's awfully soon.
Good luck
shirley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2003, 09:43 AM

Hi Brenda,

I had a LAVH/BSO and being in the car those first few weeks--whether riding or driving--was painful after about half an hour. It's awfully soon to attempt a big trip like that--but everyone's different.

I agree with the other posts; try a test drive locally and see how you do. It's great advice. I'm exactly six weeks post-op and am contemplating visiting my dad who lives three and a half hours from here. A trip like that is a big deal for me even at this stage. (Remember, the outside of your body doesn't reveal all the cutting that was done on the inside!)

You might want to consult with your doctor first, d if he/she gives you the go-ahead, take a few pillows along! If you're not in a tiny car, there's always the backseat to stretch out in if you become uncomfortable.

Have fun if you go, have fun in Florida!

jdub
Unread 03-13-2003, 10:46 AM

I had an abdominal TAHBSO so I can't comment on how a vaginal recovery is... but I do have one suggestion to increase your comfort in the car. Buy one of the inflatable "donuts" to sit on. I found that it helped a lot. They sell them in the pharmacy depts at Walmart ( which I found out after I went to every medical supply store looking for one and found them for $20-25; at my local Walmart I think it was $6-7). I'd also get a small travel travel pillow to put between your tummy and the seatbelt as you'll have a lot of internal stitches.
I do have to agree with the previous posts that I think you'll enjoy your trip and your visit more if you can postpone it a couple weeks.
Unread 03-13-2003, 10:52 AM

I would try shorter trips first, but I didn't have any problem. I had a TVH. For our 15th anniversary, my DH and I went to Philly (about 1 hour drive), went to the museum, out to dinner, and back home, and I did the driving. That was 18 days post-op. While it's no near as long a ride, it was a ride and a lot of walking and another ride. I was very lucky, in that I had no pain, and was up and active very quickly. You'll probably have to wait and see how you're feeling. As I've seen on this site, there is a wide range of recovery experiences. I would say it's very possible you can go, and it will give you something to look forward to, and help with the boredom. It's also quite possible that you just won't feel up to it. Can you be flexible with your arrangements, and tell them you'll see how you're feeling? Good luck
Unread 03-13-2003, 11:52 AM

I think you'd be pushing it, and I'm one of the hotshots who went back to work after just 3 and 1/2 weeks. If you decide to do it anyway, stop EVERY HOUR and pull over somewhere so you can lie flat for a few minutes. Sitting is very, very hard on you and makes your insides ache like a son of a gun. Hours and hours of sitting, in a car, with a seatbelt on?

I went on an 8-hour car trip at 8 weeks, and it was just at the edge of what I would do. Mind you, I was able to dance when I got where I was going, but the car ride part (especially the ride home) was just not a happy thing.

I'd really try to reschedule if I were you.
Unread 03-13-2003, 01:13 PM

Hi Brenda,

good luck in your upcoming surgery! It might be good to try to keep your travel plans flexible, if possible, in case you don't feel up to a trip. However, I had abdominal surgery and drove to a soccer tournament a few hours away at 2 weeks post-op. It was okay. Since you're not driving, you should be able to lean back and relax. You probably will want to stop every hour to walk a bit, but unless something sets you back in surgery, I don't think this trip is unrealistic for you...
Unread 03-13-2003, 03:02 PM
2 week trip?

Hi Brenda,

I had my LAVH on Feb 3rd and like LyndaNJ, I had a remarkable recovery...for me, a trip like that wouldn't have been impossible, if you could recline the seat, really rest and enjoy the ride.

However, even with a surgery like the LAVH that isn't as invasive as an abdominal one, everyone recovers differently. I went back to work full time at 2 weeks without any problems at all and basically felt normal at 3-4. (I am not lifting or vacuuming, or having sex yet...hope to be released on Tuesday at my 6 week visit, so I am still being careful).

I would do as the others suggested and see first how you feel after you get home, and how you feel being in the car for short distances. I went out to dinner 5 nights post-op and was careful, but it wasn't too bad.

PLS read your body and your own recovery, and good luck on your surgery!

Laura
Unread 03-13-2003, 05:55 PM
flying to FL at 2 weeks 6 days post op

YES I am flying to FL saturday and going on a cruise with my daughter. I have called the airline and arranged for assistance all the way through with gate transfer via wheelchair or motorcart. The airline was great to oblige. Both legs of my flight are less than an hour... VA to GA, GA to FL. So i think i will be ok. I know i will be relaxing on teh cruise. It is going to get me out of this stale environment, and i get to spend some quality time with my 7 year old. I have doc apporval with the CAVEAT DON"T OVER DO IT. IF you get tired, LAY DOWN, and trust me. I will.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register