TAH Confessions of a 4-Week Post-Op'er - Page 2 | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Confessions of a 4-Week Post-Op'er Confessions of a 4-Week Post-Op'er

Unread 05-11-2013, 04:48 PM
Re: Confessions of a 4-Week Post-Op'er

4 weeks out and I am amazed how tired I can get. But I am super lucky and have a hubby and kids who understand and haven't put a time limit on my healing. I feel for you ladies who are trying to go back to work and heal. So many people do not comprehend how hard this surgery is on us. Take care and just let your bodies take their own time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2013, 05:42 PM

I so needed to read all of these. I am just so sore and tired. I am 3 weeks 1 day out and so frustrated at how easily I get exhausted. Also, my incision is so raw feeling. Everything touching it hurts. I got some silicone scar strips in hopes of helping this.
I walked around the grocery store with dh grabbing and picking up. Came home and been in bed since. :/
Each day, I am doing okay and making progress, but just so tired!
Unread 05-11-2013, 08:28 PM

Wow! AuDIbella thank u for starting this thread and to all the others that have continued it. What a great relief to read these. I'm coming up on 2 weeks in 2 days. Was feeling so positive until wedns when my staples came out and found my incision was not closing on the left side. No infection, just slow healing. I started with bizzare random pains and the heaviness in my belly is really annoying. My life is pretty busy and I'm not used to doing nothing. I work full time and take care of my eldery mom that lives with me. My husband has been really helpful and my sister took my mom for 2 weeks. I don't have to go back to work for another couple of weeks but I think I thought since I always bounce back right away from most issues, this would be the same. I'm diabetic and manage my diabetes with only diet and excercise. That' really hard to do without taking meds everyday of my life. But the diabetes I can control pretty much. But the recovery of the hysterectomy I'm seeing is limited to how my body responds. I'm accepting that I will have to be patient. My mental timeframe and the actual recovery is not going to be the same. I'm coming to terms that I'm not super women and I'm sucking it up and accepting that. I owe the change in my thought process to you all that have posted this and shared your thought on this thread! So grateful! Thank you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2013, 11:04 PM

I so agree with you! I will be five weeks post op on monday
May 13th. I am still very sore in the belly from my TAH. Have swells belly, and my version of a swift walk is just a high speed shuffle! I thought this surgery would be a walk in the park compared to some of my past surgeries. I was wrong, I recovered quicker and with less pain from a nine hour surgery involving a three disc removal from my neck including a fusion using bone grafted from my pelvis! Who would have thunk!

I'm just taking one day at a time.
Unread 05-13-2013, 10:04 AM

I love this site, I really do. It's so refreshing to know that I'm not alone and that so many of us are experiencing tithe very same things.

I wish is all fast(er) recoveries!
Unread 05-13-2013, 11:56 AM

So glad to hear my experience not unusual. Thought I would have bounced back faster but still get tired easily. Some days a semi-fast walk is okay and some days barely creeping around is all I can do. Still some pain, incision site is healing okay, but still kind of numb. Thank goodness for my good caregiver husband who just tells me to take it at my own pace.
Unread 05-13-2013, 03:17 PM

Blessings to all you healing sisters out there! I am at the two week post op mark and feeling more mentally discouraged right now than physically. Still having some pain, but overall it's been manageable. What I'm struggling with is that I still need so much help to do basic things. It's hard to be "needy" when you are used to taking care of so many things yourself. I have been blessed with a very helpful husband and mother who lives close by, however, the kind of recovery we need to heal involves some mental hurdles as well. I'm so greatful to all of you and this road we share. Thank you & happy healing!
Unread 05-13-2013, 03:43 PM

Thanks for the note. It is good to hear others' stories, regardless of the similarities.

Hang in there!! And, let us know how you are next week.
Unread 05-20-2013, 08:43 AM

Just a thankyou - your op was the day prior to mine and its good to have this site where i can realise that i am normal x Five weeks on
The flashes are frequent - the tears irrational and i have not a clue what decides if i shall have a wonderful day or a terrible day,
Today - tears and for the past few ive been so so sore - im also suffering a odd sensation inside so scaring myself that now its a prolapse but im not sure how things are supposed to feel,.... thankfully a sister told me firmly to get to GP - just waiting to get appointment, Has anyone else with TAH BSO dared to self examine ??/
Unread 05-20-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuDiBella View Post
Okay, I have to admit that I perused the post-op forums a little bit before I had my surgery. I was interested to know what the recovery would be like and how long to really expect to be feeling under the weather. I am in fairly decent shape and have bounced back from my prior surgeries which include a laparoscopic dermoid removal, laparoscopic gall bladder removal, and an open bikini cut appendectomy. I'm not overweight, I work out daily (or did before surgery), and I don't drink or smoke. Even after reading about the recovery timelines, I truly believed that I would bounce back to "normal" by 2-3 weeks max even if those "other women" were taking much longer to heal. I was sure that I wouldn't be one of them!

Well, here I am at exactly 4 weeks post op today and I can honestly report that I have no clue when I will be back to "normal". Don't get me wrong, this is not a complaint thread. I guess I am just shocked at just what a major surgery this was and how much healing I really still need to do. I still have swelly belly with general abdominal soreness, tenderness when I press in certain spots, sharp pains if I move too quickly or stretch in a funny way, and I just move slower overall. Thankfully I'm off work for another full week because I really don't think I'd be able to jump back in after only 4 weeks... and I don't have a physical job either. At least I can wear scrubs at work because they are very forgiving in the belly area!

I guess my purpose in writing this is to just share my experience and let other ladies know that the posted timelines are indeed a good guide to recovery. It is okay to still not feel 100% at 4 weeks out. I know that some women are feeling great and it's hard to compare your progress with people who at different stages, but the best thing you can do for yourself is to measure your own progress from one week to the next and to allow yourself the rest and relaxation to heal properly. Overall I am doing very well, it's just that I fully expected to be back to feeling 100% normal by now and I don't. All in due time though.
Hi..
Thanks for sharing! I can totally relate...I usually bounce back quicker & better than expected by my docs & everyone in my support circle. But I had no clue on what to expect this time and that this wasnt just about the "physical" stuff. I'm 4 wks post-op with no real complaints aside from anxiety about work performance upon return in 2 wks-- "will I still have my edge & be able to compete with women 20 yrs. my jr.??" Oh Boy.....

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register