Scheduled dVH/RALH Help!! Bowel prep problem!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help!!  Bowel prep problem!! Help!! Bowel prep problem!!

Unread 05-09-2012, 04:27 PM
Help!! Bowel prep problem!!

I have surgery tomorrow, and am doing my prep today. This is my 3rd prep for surgery that I have done, so is I am familiar with it. I had four liters of stuff, and was instructed to start drinking 8oz every 15 minutes until at least three liters is gone, or until movements are clear. I was to start at 10:00am. I did, and drank until 12:30, when I had just about got to three liters, and could not drink anymore. I literally was gagging and about to vomit. The directions on the huge bottle said that it is expected to see a movement in one hour. It is 7.5 hrs later and I have had nothing!! I have pee'd a million gallons, but that is it! My abdomen is so bloated, but I am not even having rumblings. At 2:30 I drank another 8 oz, it took my 30 minutes to get it down, but still nothing. I don't know what to do!

I think my big uterus and ovaries having been messing up my bowels, so things aren't normal, but this is just crazy. Should I try to drink more? I have eaten lightly the last few days, but I know that there is something in there waiting to come out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-09-2012, 04:43 PM
Re: Help!! Bowel prep problem!!

Stay strong..Keep trying! When i did my bowel prep, i did vomit 3 times i just couldn't drink it anymore, i was also gagging, than had a horrible headache, I kept trying to drink, i didn't finish it all and i didn't have hardly any movement at all before surgery, but i'm so happy i drank as much as i could it was definatly worth it after surgery! I was so worried that i vomited all the prep drink before it got to my bowels, but then i was remembered i also took laxitives with my prep so i think they also helped..... maybe because they know some people can't drink it all, Just do the best you can.... drink as much as you possible can!
Happy thoughts and hugs to all for fast recoveries!
Unread 05-09-2012, 05:12 PM

Thanks for your reply. I was trying to decide whether it was better to vomit from drinking the prep, or just stopping at almost three liters. I decided to put on my big girl panties and keep at it, I am finally mentally prepared for this surgery, and do not want to chance a cancellation. I have now drank two more 8oz glasses with a lemon drop in my mouth and a Sprite chaser to get the taste out of my mouth. Hopefully, I can finish it and it will work!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-09-2012, 07:03 PM

You may end up going all night long once it starts working. I've heard some people take longer for it to work. If you've already drank what the doctor ordered I wouldn't drink anymore.I'd keep drinking water though, and maybe try walking. I only say walking because post op they always say walking gets the gas and bowels moving.Good luck tomorrow, and I hope you don't have a miserable sleepless night!
:cathugs:
Unread 05-09-2012, 07:53 PM

How are things going now? Or not going now?

How you feeling?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register