allergic to tape? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

allergic to tape? allergic to tape?

Unread 12-05-2009, 03:43 PM
allergic to tape?

Is anyone else having a problem with a break-out from the bandage? They put a dressing on me during surgery, then took it off on day 2 so i could shower and walk. When they pulled it off, the tape had broken me out so bad that i have blisters on my abdomen. My incision does not bother me at all, really, but these sores drain and stick to my "oh so pretty" underwear. then they break open when I pull them down. Right now I have some Telfa pads with antibiotic cream on them. they are not getting better, but at least not worse and they stopped sticking with the Telfa.

I did not think that I was allergic to any thing like that! It has been the most painful thing to deal with!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2009, 03:55 PM
Re: allergic to tape?

One of my kids had the same reaction to surgical tape and we were advised that it was likely a contact allergy to latex. Perhaps once you're healed follow up with a dermatologist or allergist to get tested.
Unread 12-05-2009, 04:10 PM

I have the same reaction to the tape. It just literally seems like it removes the skin with it. Let it have time to dry too (if using the anitbiotic cream.) At least, with mine, I can't have the cream on it constantly or it won't dry up enough to heal.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2009, 04:46 PM

I had that happen after my surgery. Actually, the blisters hurt more than my incision. Mine didn't drain and took forever to absorb. Eventually, was told by my doc that I could use some hydrocortisone cream (because they hadn't open and drained) - which helped them resolved. Good luck! They are definitely a pain!
Unread 12-05-2009, 06:03 PM

I had an allergy to the tape and the sticky things they use to hook you up to the monitors during surgery. I have red marks on my chest, arms and hand.
Unread 12-05-2009, 10:37 PM

I have had an allergy to tape for most of my life, it hurts like he**...That said, what I do to get rid of the soars hurts too...first I clean it well, then put rubbing alcohol on it to help dry it out...then put cortisone cream and let it air dry as much as possible.....

the allergy hurts and the remedy hurts too...so....that is my suggestion...good luck!
Unread 12-07-2009, 08:13 AM

I had a severe reaction to the tape....I had quarter size blisters all around the water proof tape they put over my insicions. I noticed it in the hospital and when the nurse took off the bandages...it literally took all the skin off w/ it...it was aweful, and bless her heart..I know she hated it and was trying to be as careful as possible. So, I was left w/ three inch raw skin on each sides of my insicions...OUCH! Then after that was taken off, still continued to get the blisters....I finally popped them, I couldn't take them rubbing against my clothes anymore. I was putting polysporin on them. Finally I developed this really bad rash, two inch diameter around all my insicions. I had to go to the doc...devolped a red streak...he told me I had a sever reaction to the steri strips, he gave me a really strong steroid topical cream, worked like a charm. He told me I did the right thing by popping the blisters carefully. He told me not to cover the area if possible and not to use any kind of petroleum based cream....won't heal, just keeps it too moist. I sooo feel your pain, ask your doc about the steriod cream, really does take it away so much faster than anything else. I hope you get better soon. And the weird thing is I have alot of surgeries, NEVER once had a reaction to the bandages....strange.
Unread 12-09-2009, 05:47 PM

I reacted to the tapes they used for the heart monitor during the general anesthesia--the rash lasted for a whole month even though the tapes were taken off the day after surgery.
Unread 12-09-2009, 06:11 PM

I am allergic to the adhesive and it doesn't matter whether the bandage is latex-free or not. I developed blisters under the bandages when I had my laparoscopy. I had horrible itching and when I peaked under the bandage the actual incisions had already healed beautifully. I removed the stupid things, cleaned the area with peroxide and put Neosporin on it. I ended up with brown splotches, kind of like big freckles, that lasted for more than a year. I had microdermabrasion done on them to remove the marks. You can't even tell now!
Unread 12-10-2009, 03:44 AM

I also had a severe allergic reaction to the tape on my incision sites...blisters and all. After one week of just trying to deal with it my Dr. prescribed me oral steroids as well as topical steroids to reduce the swelling. It worked completely by the next day.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register