Aerobic exercise | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Aerobic exercise Aerobic exercise

Unread 07-23-2013, 09:59 AM
Aerobic exercise

How long after a total DvH will it be before I am cleared for aerobic exercise? I bike 12 miles a day right now and willbe anxious to get back to it. I am having everything removed. A year ago I would have laughed if someone said I would be worried about when I could get back to exercising haha. This past year I have become an exercise junkie . I have my Pre op next Tuesday (day before the surgery) so I can ask him then but I'm curious to find out how long it took fellow sistas to get back exercising. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2013, 12:33 PM
Re: Aerobic exercise

Every person is different, and you will need to listen to your body while you recover. In general, you will be up and walking the day of your surgery. From there, if you take it slow and don't push it, you will be up to a few miles (walking) in a day within two - three weeks. I would guess that you could do 12 miles on a bike within 8-24 weeks, but it really depends on your body and how it heals. Biking uses different muscles than walking, so it could take longer for something like biking compared to running.
Unread 07-23-2013, 01:48 PM

I work out pretty hard and am also doing daVinci...my doctor told me nothing beyond a slow stroll down the street for at least six weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2013, 01:58 PM

I had a TAH, which is supposed to have a longer recovery period than a DaVinci, and my gyn onc okayed me for cycling at four weeks. In fact, he okayed everything at four weeks except lifting heavy boxes and my rowing-type exercise machine. He said wait until six weeks for those.

When you start back in on something, you have to do it gradually. Don't head out for your usual twelve miles the first day on the bike. Do a mile and then see how your body feels about it.

Italian Nurse, not to disrespect your doctor, but I was doing slow strolls down the street my first week. During week 2 I picked up the speed, during week 3 I added steep hills and by the end of week four I was doing 1-2 hour hikes on wooded trails. At any given stage, I added new activities gradually and paid lots and lots of attention to how my body was responding. If you start to do something and it hurts, STOP! But if it doesn't hurt, do it slowly for a short while and then take a break and see how you feel.
Unread 07-23-2013, 03:27 PM

I also had a daVinci and my doctor cleared me for swimming after 2 1/2 weeks because I was already healed. However, I didn't feel up to it yet due to soreness and fatigue. Everyone IS different, but better be safe than sorry, Whenever it is that your doc clears you for strenuous exercise, work up to it. Move a little, rest a little. Good luck!
Unread 07-24-2013, 12:07 AM

I'm a Zumba , Ujam, and willpower instructor. My doc said 6 weeks off. Ugh.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register