Cleared for sex at 4 weeks post op! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cleared for sex at 4 weeks post op! Cleared for sex at 4 weeks post op!

Unread 04-25-2008, 03:44 PM
Cleared for sex at 4 weeks post op!

I am shocked. At my 4 week post op appointment, my doc said I am cleared for all activity, including sex. In fact, he strongly encouraged me to either start having regular sex or to use the dilator often. He is concerned about scar tissue, which had already begun to form pre-op from my internal and external radiation, and he said if I do not start to work on it, I could have difficulty with penetration later. I am terrified to have anything inside me at this point, especially since everything I've read says nothing inside for 6 -8 weeks! What do I do???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2008, 07:34 PM

I was cleared at 3 weeks for sex, activities, lifting, bending and all I said NO WAY!!!!! I didnt follow his advice and I am waiting the full 6 weeks for it all.

what type of surgery did you have? how are you feeling? do you have an incision?
Unread 04-25-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4hisglory
what type of surgery did you have? how are you feeling? do you have an incision?
Thanks for your response. I have a bikini line incision, he removed ovaries, tubes, uterus, cervix and several centimeters of vagina. I am still swollen, still have some pain, and am still having bathroom issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2008, 08:05 PM

I'm doing the same thing. DR cleared me for sex after 4 weeks but is sending me for a cat scan because of unexplainable pain. Oh mei, wouldn't it be nice if it all could make sense!!!!!!!!I'm waiting the full 6 weeks and longer, depending on the results of the cat scan on May 7th.
Unread 04-26-2008, 08:29 AM

(((gypsydancer)))
I can understand your concern, especially since you are still very tender. It can be confusing, but I would like to caution you that dr's do recomend this when they see a woman could have problems if the vaginal tissues aren't stretched. I would imagine your dr sees that your incisions are healed up enough for you not to be in danger of tearing anything.

I want to encourage you to at least try to do what your dr has recommended. At least try to use a dilator if you don't feel comfortable with sex. My concern is that your dr wouldn't have said this if he didnt foresee a problem for you. I have seen where women have had this need to stretch the tissues and the sooner they started with it, the better.

With this said, I think if you're going to try sex, you need to have a long talk with your dh and make sure he understands how very careful you need him to be. I would use lots of extra lubrication too. The goal here.at least for the time being, isn't necessarily pleasure. This is practical in order to preserve your sex life in the future.

If you are unsure about all this, I really think you should call and talk to your dr about your fears and concerns. Did he talk about what might happen if you don't do this?

I would never want to see a woman begin having sex without the release from their dr, but you aren't in that sitution. I think he has a method to his madness here and I wouldn't want to see you come back in another month to share how sorry you are you didn't listen now. It can go both ways, usually trying to soon is dangerous, but you have a unique situation where waiting could be a bad thing.

Please take good care. I hope all this works out well. I just don't want you to have regrets, either way. Let us know how you do.
's, Rita

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register