Went to the Library | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Went to the Library Went to the Library

Unread 08-19-2004, 10:55 AM
Went to the Library

OK Gals not that everyone hasn't had this problem before but... I went to the Library to research some more on this proceedure and do you know what I found?? Nothing absolutly nothing. I'm having to have the library order books in from around the state and hope that I get something within the next week so I can at least make my own educated decisions on subjects such as Epidural's and other pain relief to help get through. Oh well. I'm looking at now Ordering some of the books here on this web site once I decide which ones will help me the best. Because the only book on Hysterectomy was dated back to 1983 and it looks like some pages are missing. With any luck hopefully I will be able to find something that can help I really hate taking pills but then again I already have to do this anyway.

SO if there are any books along with the Hyster Sister book that anybody else can reccommend I would greatly appreciat it.

Thanks
Kassie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2004, 11:02 AM
Went to the Library

Hi Kassie
I am an avid reader, and have been doing hyst research for months now. Maybe if you can give me a few specifics about WHY you are having the hyst, then I can suggest some reading materials.

Also, have you tried Chapters online? I've ordered a couple of books through their website that were really good.

s
Northlights
Unread 08-19-2004, 11:05 AM
Went to the Library

I can't help you with recommendations, but I just wanted to let you know that I am a library director and I will check our shelves to make sure we have that information on hand. I will also make sure it is current.

Thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2004, 11:07 AM
OH dear I lost my head

Yeah I guess that would help I have had Endometriosis since I was 18. I have had two Lapro Surgeries and One Surgery where they did that Presacreal neurectomy thing. Now the pains have been much worse and I have been having constant bleeding and the doctor says he now believe that it is Abnomyosis I think that is how you spell it. if this is any help to you great I really appreciate it as the books in our library are really outdated and I'm currently looking at stuff online to try to figure out which ones would be best for me.
Thank You Thank You
Kassie
Unread 08-19-2004, 11:31 AM
Went to the Library

i've had the same problem in the uk. i ordered my books off the internet.

julf
Unread 08-19-2004, 12:25 PM
Went to the Library

Kassie
You sound lots like me. I believe the condition you are thinking of is Adenomyosis. Here is some of the reading I have done.

The Endometriosis Sourcebook - an excellent read

Endometriosis - The Complete Reference - also excellent

Endometriosis - A Key to Healing Through Nutrition - quite interesting
Just as Much a Woman - A good guide to hysterectomies

Misinformed Consent - A very anti hyst book, but I like to research both sides of an issue.

Health, Happiness and Hormones - one woman's guide to the craziness that ensued post hysterectomy. It was very poorly written, and I don't recommend this book to anyone. She had a horrible time after hyst, with surgical menopause.

I hope you find all the info you are looking for.

Northlights
Unread 08-19-2004, 12:33 PM
Went to the Library

Here are some books that I found extremely helpful:

"Your Guide to Hysterectomy, Ovary Removal, & Hormone Replacement" by Elizabeth Plourde;
"The Hysterectomy Hoax" by Dr. Stanley West;
"Hysterectomy: Before & After" by Winnifred B. Cutler;
"Misinformed Consent" by Lise Cloutier-Steele
and "The Sexy Years" by Suzanne Somers

It's good that you are reading and educating yourself.
If I had it to do over, I would not have any surgery until ALL my questions were answered and I had a 100% understanding of what was wrong with me and all my options. Also, ALWAYS get a second or even a third opinion before ANY kind of surgery.

Best wishes and good reading!
Unread 08-19-2004, 01:36 PM
Went to the Library

I'm a medical librarian and had the same experience visiting my local library. Most libraries cannot purchase and own everything their users may want - so inter-library loan (borrowing from other libraries) is a useful service.
Please be aware that many hospitals have a medical library, sometimes staffed with a medical librarian. Some of these libraries are open to patients and medical librarians are very resourceful and can help you to locate good information. There is also a useful US tax supported database - MedlinePlus which is free and accessible over the web. It is specifically designed for health care consumers. Public libraries may know of this source, as will your hospital librarian.
I searched MedlinePlus and came up with what I considered good basic information on diagnosis, procedures, therapies, etc.
It is good to read a variety of sources of information -just please check on the authority of the writer, their bias, the date published, etc.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register