Not Scheduled I've Made Up My Mind....Questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I've Made Up My Mind....Questions I've Made Up My Mind....Questions

Unread 12-08-2009, 01:49 PM
I've Made Up My Mind....Questions

I've finally made up my mind. On Dec. 28th I will be having a surgical consult with my doctor. I hope I can do a vaginal hysterectomy. I had an abdominal CAT scan last Tues and it showed nothing other than an enlarged uterus with multiple fibroids. I've also had a uterine ultrasound two weeks ago. I have on fibroid that is 10cm that is the biggest one. Right now it feels like an alien wants to pop out of my stomach! LOL So, given the discomfort level I know these things are NOT going to shrink. They are in the wall of the uterus and I have opted for it ALL to come out. I really don't want a catheter put in me tho I was wondering if that is a must or is there an option. Every one I've spoken to said it is not a bad operation and they are glad they did it. My cousin had it done two months ago and her fibroids were the size of a basketball! She said it wasn't bad at all. Any opinions? Advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2009, 01:57 PM
Re: I've Made Up My Mind....Questions

I recently (Oct. 27) underwent an LAVH using the daVinci robot. I did opt to keep my ovaries (doc said too young to go thru menopause). I can't tell you how wonderful I feel! After about day 10, I felt great! I really had no pain to speak of - just felt like I did 1000 sit-ups. No vaginal pain. I didn't even bleed vaginally after the surgery-had no need to wear a pad. I feel great and wish I would have done this about 6 years ago after my youngest was born! I wish you luck and hope everything turns out for you the way it did for me. Best wishes!!!
Unread 12-08-2009, 02:48 PM

That made me feel a whole lot better, thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2009, 03:34 PM

I am having a TVH/BSO on Thursday the 10th. Cassie I am so glad to hear that you are glad that you had it done becasue that makes me feel alot better as well!!
Unread 12-08-2009, 03:43 PM

Everything I've read says that a catheter is a must. I think they do it when you are asleep, so you don't have to feel it. Others have said that they were glad for it so that they did not have to get out of bed until the next day.

I have a bunch of fibroids with heavy bleeding and anemia and I feel like c**p half the time. I'm just scheduled as of yesterday for 2 months from now. I bet the surgeon you see will be a thoughtful guide to your best option(s)

I am really scared of general anesthesia and my Dr said that a spinal was not a choice for me. So I guess I just have to have faith that they will get me through it alive. Let us know what your Dr says, and come on here with any question or concern you have. Unlike most others, we know what you are going through and are here to help. This site has helped me face this much more informed and comforted by others. My dr could tell that I had been well informed about hysterectomy.

Be well!
Unread 12-08-2009, 06:11 PM

I had a TAH/BSO (horizontal incision) 4 weeks ago tomorrow and although I'm still recovering and healing, am already feeling much better. I had never had a catheter before but was definitely glad it was there the first day so I didn't have to get up! I woke up in recovery with it in and didn't even notice it. Taking it out was fine, too - didn't hurt at all. My surgery was on a Wed at 1p, they removed the catheter Thurs at 9 am and finally at 3p I was able to urinate (I had a 'sleepy bladder') .... you'll discover post-op that you'll be amazingly proud of urinating and passing gas! LOL! I had a spinal PLUS general anesthesia - the spinal was great, blocked out a lot of the abdominal pain for about 18 hours and by then I had a morphine pump so had very manageable (and tolerable) pain levels the entire time.

There's a booklet available on this site, "What 100,000 know about hysterectomy" that is great! Plus, of course, all of the posts on this website. Good luck with your upcoming appointment.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register