Did you get a second opinion? - Page 132 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Community - HysterSisters > Monthly Poll (and occasional Contest!)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
View Poll Results: Did you get a second opinion from another surgeon before scheduling your hysterectomy
Yes, I got a second opinion and it helped give me additional options 1,187 20.11%
Yes, I got a second opinion but it didn't really matter in the long run 1,348 22.84%
No, I didn't get a second opinion 3,087 52.30%
I didn't have time to get a second opinion. My hysterectomy was an emergency 280 4.74%
Voters: 5902. You may not vote on this poll

Did you get a second opinion? Did you get a second opinion?

Unread 03-06-2015, 09:43 PM
Re: Did you get a second opinion?

I didn't even consider getting a second opinion. I had a D&C and polypectomy, with the biopsy showing precancerous cells on one of the polyps. That pretty much seals the hysterectomy deal for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2015, 02:28 PM

I was planning to have my OBGYN do the surgery. He said it was pretty involved because of the prolapses, and after reading in this forum I decided to see a urogynecologist. He's having me do urodynamics testing because we're considering a mid-urethral sling. That's not something my OBGYN even mentioned.
Unread 03-29-2015, 12:14 PM

I got a second opinion, mostly because I had no relationship with the Ob/Gyn, and I didn't like what he had to say.

Within minutes, I received the diagnosis of having a large fibroid attached to the exterior of my uterus, and due to my age and the likelihood of them returning, I should get a hysterectomy.

I'm only 46. Never had a problematic period in my entire life, so this was all a shock to me. Thank God my husband came with me to this appointment....I could tell by the way the ultrasound tech was answering my questions, that something was up.

The first Doctor apparently is not a believer in tissue morcillation either, since he said I'd need the big c-section abdominal incision and laparoscopic surgery would be a risk and spread cancer (and there is no reason to believe I have cancer.)

Long story short, I've found a great surgeon who is also a fertility doctor. We decided together that I will move forward with the hysterectomy rather than an embolization, but the choice was mine.

My largest incision will be just under 2 inches, I believe. Not bad! Unfortunately everything is just a bit too big to remove vaginally. It is what it is...

Had I not found this new surgeon, I could be facing a much rougher recovery than what was necessary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2015, 06:54 PM
Did you get a second opinion?

I have a wonderful relationship with my on/gyn. I have seen her for 20 years and I trust her completey.
Unread 04-01-2015, 08:35 PM

No second opinion here. I was so grateful to be able to have a hysterectomy I went with the first option available to me!
Unread 04-06-2015, 03:49 PM

No second opinion was needed. I have known my OBGYN for years and trusted him 100%.
Unread 04-06-2015, 10:41 PM
Red face - Did you get a second opinion? Re: Did you get a second opinion?

No need it was the third time with this surgeon and she knew my parts best. If not I would have researched beyond this lifesaving site and sought a second opinion.
Unread 04-13-2015, 01:33 AM

I didn't feel I needed a second opinion. I had decided on having a hysterectomy before seeing my ob/gyn due to a long history of heavy bleeding with large clots. I did IVF with my ob/gyn and he delivered my children so I was already comfortable with him as a choice. He was happy to do the surgery so I was scheduled a week after seeing him.
Unread 04-16-2015, 08:49 PM

Yes I got a second opinion,due to My former male gyn apparently not understanding how the female body works,and his advice always being "Get pregnant that will make it all better" he didn't want to bother doing any real testing on Me,or blood work,and so I left and got a great recommendation from My Aunt,and I have an amazing female gyn who found out what was wrong in 1 visit and that I in fact required a hysterectomy! Never ever be afraid to get a second opinion! This one saved Me from further pain ladies!
Unread 04-29-2015, 09:38 PM

I did not need a second opinion. I have been to several doctors over the years and not one of them even cared enough to listen to my problems. Once I found my new doctor and how he listened to everything I said I knew I could trust him. Now I am extremely young to have had a hysterectomy but this was something that was unavoidable. The doctor cried to my mother after surgery, I am the youngest woman he has ever had to do this surgery on and it killed him to see just how bad my uterus was.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register