Scheduled TAH Is a Catheter Used During Hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is a Catheter Used During Hysterectomy Is a Catheter Used During Hysterectomy

Unread 05-08-2009, 09:00 AM
Is a Catheter Used During Hysterectomy

I was wondering if a catheter is used during a hyterectomy? I have never had one put in and am a little anxious about it. This may be something very insignificant, but still, I get a little squimish when thinking about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2009, 09:13 AM
Re: Is a Catheter Used During Hysterectomy

I am scheduled for TAH/BSO as well and I am sure that they use a catheter. I have had two prior c-sections and they used catheters both times. It was not so bad. It is uncomfortable but not really painful. My DH who is a paramedic told me that they will probably but it in after you are asleep so that will not be too bad at all. Good luck!
Katrina
Unread 05-08-2009, 09:17 AM

Hi,
First of all welcome to the wonderful land of Hystersisters.
I hope you have a uneventful surgery and a speedy recovery.
To answer your question...yes they do use a catheter when doing a TAH. My experience was that they put it in during the surgery and when I woke up I hardly knew it was there.
I was worried about having it taken out but thats painless as well.
I want to remind you that no question is insignifigant because its important to you. I remember being so panicked over the breathing tube that I had built up all these scary scenerios in my mind and when it was all over I realized if I had just asked someone then I would have felt better in the long run. My point as I ramble on knowledge is power.
Best wishes to you!
Melanie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2009, 09:43 AM

Yes they put the catheter in while you are under so you won't remember and when you wake up you don't even know you have it. Mine was taken out the next morning. I wouldn't worry too much about it, I worried about it too but it was no big deal, didn't even feel it. Good luck..I am 4 weeks post op, still tired and have good days and bad days, not back to myself yet but slowly getting there.
Unread 05-08-2009, 10:11 AM

I have had several surgeries and agree with Puggie. I was never awake when they put the catheter in and my LAVH was the only time that I ever woke up with it still in. I was so worked up about having it removed. I even punched my pain med button over and over. lol It was nothing though.
Unread 05-08-2009, 10:35 AM

I have had them put in and removed over the years awake and it is no big deal. That will be the least of your worries in the whole recovery scheme of things....Good luck!
Unread 05-08-2009, 04:35 PM

I was a bit worried about having one, too, since I had never had one before. It was inserted after I was asleep and when I woke up I didn't even realize it was still in. I was glad to have it since it meant I didn't have to keep getting up to the bathroom. Didn't feel a thing when it was removed.
Unread 05-09-2009, 08:34 AM

They put my in after I was asleep and removed it the next morning. It wasn't uncomfortable even when they took it out. The only thing was when I got to my room...I told the nurse, "I had to pee", she just said it was preasure from the cath...when another nurse came in...I told her the same thing...she said just preasure from the cath. When another nurse came to check on me...I REALLY FELT THE NEED TO PEE....she took a look at my cath. and started raising it up and down and ALL OF THIS PEE came out of me. That nurse agreed "I had to pee." After that when I felt the need....I would raise it up and down and the pee came out.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register