Exercise?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 10-11-2010, 09:56 AM
Exercise??

I am 8 wks post op and have been released for most everything except lifting heavy stuff , How much walking / exercise is everyone doing 2 months post op? I feel fat and lazy and have to do something to get myself back on track!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-11-2010, 10:07 AM
Re: Exercise??

At 8 weeks I was walking 1 - 2 miles 5 times a week but not at a very fast pace. I am picking up the pace more now and can go 3 - 4 miles and starting to do light weights and the Wii Fit. There is a great "fitness" forum here on hystersisters that has many good articles and discussions that I found helpful, Good luck!
Unread 10-11-2010, 10:10 AM

Thanks Girlie! I am going to pay this forum a visit!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-11-2010, 12:40 PM

Hi Wonder Woman,
I was cleared for swimming at about 8 weeks and I'm now almost 10 weeks and swim every other day (ish). At first I could only swim about half a length before I was feeling a stabbing pain inside - my doc had said pain was the sign to stop - so just walked about 4 more lengths.

Now I can swim 6 lengths and I'm increasing it a little bit every time.

I really like swimming, even though I didn't before surgery, as it feels really 'safe' and almost no impact on my tender bits.

And I like sitting in the jacuzzi for 10 minutes afterwards
Unread 10-11-2010, 01:03 PM

I was released last week and started doing my elpitcal again. Started just doing just what ever I could. Today I did 60 jumping jacks, 40 squats, and 20 situps. Ok the situps were more like crunches because that started hurting - but I did it. Then 10 minutes on eliptical. I say you do whatever you feel like you can for a while - then push yourself a little harder each couple days. At least that is what I am doing.
Unread 10-11-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderWoman222 View Post
I am 8 wks post op and have been released for most everything except lifting heavy stuff , How much walking / exercise is everyone doing 2 months post op? I feel fat and lazy and have to do something to get myself back on track!
I went back to my physical part time job, and I am walking 5000-10000 steps.day. I want to walk 10000 and go back to my dance classes but I seriously don't have the energy. At 8 weeks I would work 4 hrs, and be zonked the entire next day, at 12 wks that is much better though I got ALOT of swelly belly this week and strange sharp pains.

I would say go slow and add gradually. I started with 5 lbs weight at work and am now up to 15-20 lbs
Unread 10-11-2010, 07:08 PM

I am back to running 4-5 miles a day but much slower then pre Hyst. I started light weights 3 times week but much fewer reps I tried core workout but stopped due to pain so I guess I will try that again next week. I am still very fatigued and just wondering if the old me will ever show up.
Unread 10-11-2010, 11:06 PM

My Dr ok'd me to start exercise again at 4 weeks, so I have 1 more week. I had a LAVH and RSO and before hand I was running 5-8miles daily and training for a half marathon. I would just say take your time and ease into it.
Unread 10-12-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffedupppet View Post
Today I did 60 jumping jacks, 40 squats, and 20 situps. Ok the situps were more like crunches because that started hurting - but I did it. Then 10 minutes on eliptical. .
Wow! YOU should be called WonderWoman!

Puts my 6 lengths to shame!

Having said that, for a 35 year old, I was super-unfit (but not massively overweight, just a bit) pre-surgery. Since my op I do feel that I have a new lease of life and in the past 2 or 3 weeks LOADS more energy than I've had for years, which I am trying to channel into exercise.

You never know, you might yet see a Ripple at the 2012 Olympics
Unread 10-12-2010, 11:35 AM

As long as you have the blessing of your dr., you should go by how you feel. I walked a lot from day one post-op.

Pre-op I was doing intense cardio and weight training 5-6 days/week. I started easing back into that at 5 weeks and by 8 weeks could complete a full workout. *But* I'm finding that 5-6 days a week is a bit much for me yet, and now at 12 weeks, I do probably 2 intense workouts/week and walk 2 miles at a moderate pace maybe 2X/week. My goal is to be back to a full workout schedule by Christmas.

Diana
TVH 07/10 kept ovary
43yo

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register