Debating hysterectomy for fibroids | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Debating hysterectomy for fibroids Debating hysterectomy for fibroids

Unread 06-28-2013, 06:33 PM
Debating hysterectomy for fibroids

Hi everyone,

I'm 36 and was diagnosed with fibroids about a year ago. I've struggled with ovarian cysts and painful periods since I was about 15. Last year I started having pain, pressure, frequent urination and painful intercourse. My symptoms have continued to worsen and after several ultrasounds I had a sonohysterogram today. I'm awaiting the results but the fibroids seem to be intramural, measuring 3cm or less, but there are at least 4. At the moment my uterus is measuring at about the size of a 12 week pregnancy and judging by the fact that my pants won't button I think it's getting bigger. I'm extremely uncomfortable all the time. I've discussed multiple options with the Dr including Lupron (didn't like the side effects and had some contraindications) and myomectomy vs hysterectomy. I have no children and am not planning on having any. I'm concerned with the high percentage of regrowth with myomectomy. Also the Dr is unsure if she'll be able to remove the fibroids due to placement. My mom went through a nearly identical issue at about my age and had several surgeries ultimately leading to a full hysterectomy in her early 40s. My Dr is hesitant to do a hysterectomy (would be partial and leave the ovaries) as I'm still in my 30's. I was leaning heavily toward it until I strated reading the sexual side effects. I hate for sex to be what makes up my mind but it is important! At the end of the day though I just want to feel better! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Also, anyone experience significant weight gain with fibroids?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2013, 06:47 PM
Re: Debating hysterectomy

I had endometriosis n tried everything to help the hysterectomy was my last resort, I did lupron n have suffered bad side effects, I would choose it as a last resort, most woman said sex gets better haven't been cleated so can't tell you from experience good luck
Unread 07-01-2013, 05:40 PM
Debating hysterectomy for fibroids

Hi KMH,

You should ask your gyn bout fibroid embolization, also called uterine fibroid embolization (UFE). That's where a radiologist cuts off the supply of blood to the fibroids and they die off. There's a video on YouTube about it that I thought was interesting. In my case, my fibroids are causing my uterus to be about double normal size, about 15 cm in total, with the largest of the fibroids being 5 & 6 cm in size. I saw an Interventional Radiologist for a consult after two gyns said I could be a candidate for this procedure.

Blessings,
Tina

Admin Note: support request moved to new thread:
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=533354
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-13-2013, 07:59 AM
Re: Debating hysterectomy for fibroids

I had an open myomectomy 5 yrs ago for 2 8cm fibroids. I did not want a hysterectomy due to sexual side effects. 5 yrs later and I have several fibroids again some lg some small with heavy period and gi problems. The recovery of the myomectomy was tough and now I wish I had just had the hysterectomy since now I have to go thru a procedure again. Dr is pushing davinci hysterectomy. I asked about ufe and he doesn't feel ufe is very effective. Idk. I don't want another 6 week recovery again and I'm 6 mos. into a new job. I don't know what to do.
Unread 07-13-2013, 10:15 AM
Re: Debating hysterectomy for fibroids

nam1026,

Before you decide against the UFE talk to an interventional radiologist and find out if they think you are a good candidate or not. I love my primary care phys but I wanted the person most knowledgeable about the procedure to tell me whether or not they thought it would work for me. It is so much less invasive and recovery so much shorter/easier. I plan to exhaust all options before a hyster.

Best of luck,
Tina

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register