Home from Hospital for the second time :( | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Home from Hospital for the second time  :( Home from Hospital for the second time :(

Unread 07-02-2010, 03:01 PM
Home from Hospital for the second time :(

I swear things like this only happen to me. I went on Tuesday for my 2-1/2 week post op. Everything healing fine. He did a very gentle internal and all sutures healing nicely. DH took me to my parents after that for lunch. Went home. About 7:00 pm i started freezing. I was shaking so hard my I thought my teeth would crack. Took my temp. 100.6. Called surgeon. He told me to go to the ER. I went to the hospital near my house. Not the one I had surgery in.

My temp went up to 103. They did blood, urine and ct scan. I was shaking, freezing, hot, felt like a little kid with the flu. Horrible. After the ct scan, add constant diarrhea to the mix from the contrast. (Still have it).

They admitted me. The ct scan came back fine. Thank god. No abcess or anything. They called in infection disease. They thought I had a bacterial infection in my blood from the surgery, even though it was so long post op.

Long story short, I feel like hell. Discharged today after 3 days IV antibiotics and iv fluids. Definitely an infection. Can't figure out much more. white blood cells sky high and potassium so low they had to give me medication. I am home on antibiotics and feel weak as a baby. Now my belly is still so sore because I didnt have any energy to walk int he hospital and they didn't want me to until they knew what I had. Crazy huh? so I guess I went backwards about a week. I think I will nap now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-02-2010, 04:14 PM
Re: Home from Hospital for the second time :(

Oh Winnie! I am so sorry this happened. Take a nice long nap and restart your healing! Poor thing.
Unread 07-02-2010, 04:16 PM

oh my gosh... I am so sorry! I was just in the ER myself 2 nights ago, but fortunately I didn't have to go through all that...
It's so frustrating when they don't know what's wrong - as much as you want to go home, there's always that apprehension involved when you don't know...
I hope things start to look up for you - that your infection gets under control and you can return to the road to recovery!
BTW- did they test your blood levels? Have they been going up since the surgery? Mine are finally up to 8.3! Yeah! Still very, very low, but a far cry from the 6 they were! Too bad it took a blood transfusion and hysterectomy to make it happen!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-02-2010, 05:25 PM

Winnie,

Sorry you are having to go through this. I hope you are on the road to recovery now. Hang in there! Hugs!
Unread 07-02-2010, 09:05 PM

sorry to hear about your setback. best of luck for a smoother ride from here on!
Unread 07-03-2010, 12:58 AM

Hope you are feeling better now! Please keep us posted
Unread 07-03-2010, 12:12 PM

I am so sorry you had to go through all that! What a scare! It does sound like you had an infection, though. This sounds EXACTLY like what happened to me except my hospital was rediculous enough to send me home since my white count was 'only' 18 (normal is like 5-8). Anyway, 1 week later they finally found out it actually was a major infection and by then they were fighting to keep me alive. Ended up in the hospital for 3 weeks and had major surgery to remove all the damaged/dead/infected tissues in my abdomen...this was almost 3 months ago and I am still feeling very, very weak and sore. Just be aware those infections can bring you down for a long time so take it easy and don't overdo it. You need your energy to heal from that. All the best and keep us posted!
Unread 07-03-2010, 01:31 PM

Sorry to hear about these ER visits and infections after surgery, Winnie I hope your resting and mending. Its scary that an infection can hit you out of the blue like that!!

Feel better soon
Unread 07-03-2010, 07:05 PM

I also had to be re-admit to the hospital after my LSH because I developed an infection and fistula from my intestine. I was in the hospital for 3 days on IV antibiotics. I'm now waiting to have a second surgery to fix that. I hopeI know how you feel, if it wasn't for the complication I would be back to work next week. Take good care and hope you'll heal fast after all you've been through.
Unread 07-03-2010, 08:06 PM

Oh my - it is scary that this is more common than I thought. What scares me even more is what if we ignored or tried to fix things ourselves. I am sure people with high temps could just try to Advil it for a few days - a few days that could actually come with dire consequences. I guess we all just have to be smart and very tuned into our bodies. I hope everyone has a speedy recovery. Enjoy your 4th of July.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register