Post Op Pain/HRT/Constipation | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post Op Pain/HRT/Constipation Post Op Pain/HRT/Constipation

Unread 08-15-2006, 09:42 PM
Post Op Pain/HRT/Constipation

I had my abdominal hysterectomy last Friday, came home Monday. The doctor gave me an HRT patch to start today but I have had no signs of menopause yet so I don't know if I should start it or not. Any suggestions?

I am having a lot of post op pain so am taking Tylenol 3 which of course constipates me. Any solutions? I really thought I would be able to handle the pain better but it seems like forever already and it's only been 4 days!!! Reading some of the posts - it looks like I may have a long way to go. It's a bit depressing (or maybe that's menopause talking - I don't know). Everyone keeps telling me that I will be so glad I had this done but I don't know - if I had to do it over.....

Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2006, 10:22 PM

It gets better. Really it does. It just feels like it's taking a long time.

What I found to help me...

Pain meds! Yes - they do cause constipation - but here is what my dr suggested that I do to help with constipation: Senokot S, 8 or more glasses of water/day, 1 small can of prune juice (or if you don't like prune juice - pineapple or apple juice), Benefiber, fresh fruits and veggies. Oh yes - and walk as much as possible. Walking really does help get everything moving. If you have gas pain Gas-X helps relieve that pain.

As for the HRT - did you have your ovaries removed? If not - then as soon as they "wake up" after surgery - you won't be going through menopause (unless you were going through menopause before surgery).

If you're not sure about whether or not you want to use HRT - there is a great section on here to look at all of the options (called the Hormone Jungle).

Please rest, walk, drink water, rest, walk, drink water. Find your favorite book or comedy movie to enjoy. Pamper yourself. You are with a lot of others who know what you are going through.

Noni
Unread 08-16-2006, 07:38 AM

Yes, my ovaries were removed. I keep expecting some "symptoms" but nothing yet. Thanks for the advice. I feel a bit better this morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2006, 09:16 AM

Hi, its only been 4 days and yes you will feel better. I still take my motrin when I overdo things so don't feel like you have to be off the pain meds just cuz you're home. I wasn't given any hrt my dr feels some people need them some don't. I have had very mild symtoms, light hot flashes I think, so I plan on staying off for now and have looked into the natural options too. I was given colace for the constipation and took it twice a day but I also take metamucil for fiber a couple of capsules a day with lots of water and walking. I have had no problems even with the pain meds hth...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register