Checking In | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-19-2005, 03:57 PM
Checking In

I had surgery 3 weeks and 1 day ago. TAH......kept left ovary. Still kinda tired and seem to get wiped out easily. Hubby and teenager being wonderful about cooking, etc. I did boil a chicken yesterday and hubby finished the meal when he came in. Went to WalMart last Sat., used motorized wheel chair to follow kid and hubby around store. Helped to break the cabin fever (I want to water my garden terribly bad and pull weeds...but know pulling a water hose around will not be a good idea at this point ) it did make me tired though. I had some spotting at first....then nothing...then last week had some spotting...Dr. said I was up too much and doing to much. Really, I didn't think I was doing too much, but then maybe I was just up too much. Dr. said I could drive as soon as I was off the narcotics. Did drive 9 miles a couple of days ago. (My little truck was at hubby's business, two of the grown kids had been using it, needed to bring her home.) Will not drive again soon. Made me hurt. Now the main thing is swelly belly at the end of the day and some pain but nothing Ibuprophen can't handle. Other than that seem to be doing okay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2005, 05:16 PM
Checking In

I am glad your doing ok. Maybe you could have your dh or one of your kids pull the hose around for you and you can do the watering part (just to satisfy you alittle).
Keep up the good work on not over doing it, I know it can be hard. Try and relax, you just may miss it after your six weeks are done with (I know I did and still do).
Sending gentle recovery hugs!!!
Unread 08-19-2005, 05:49 PM
Checking In

I am glad to see that you have plenty of help. It is hard not to overdo it sometimes, continue to rest and take it easy. I am wishing you a speedy and uneventful recovery. Carol

P.S. where is Danbury? I live in West Texas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2005, 08:17 PM
Checking In

I am one day ahead of you. I had tah/bso 7/27. Sounds like we're in the same boat. I keep thinking I am not doing too much. I actaully did do a little weeding in my garden yesterday and began spotting last night. Resist the urge! I won't be doing it again anytime soon. I kept telling myself it wasn't all that difficult and that I wasn't over doing it--well, I did and I have been in a lot more pain since. Now I keep fearing that I am prolonging this recovery period that feels like forever! I 'm glad you checked it. Helps me feel less alone in this. Hope it does the same for you. I have driven 3x and have had the same experience. Do you have the emotional rollercoater going up and down? Crying? Just curious --if so how others are dealing with it...Sounds like you have a lot of helpful and understanding people around you. Embrace it! --and leave the gardening to them!
Unread 08-20-2005, 06:49 AM
Checking In

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I do have a wonderful family. Danbury is about 40 miles southeast of Houston. It is a farming community. They grow rice here. Which they just started harvesting this past week. (Now my allergies will begin to give me a fit.) I grew up 25 miles south of here right on the coast at Freeport. We need to mow our grass and I will probably wander the yard while DH does that later today. I know I will not be riding the mower or toting the weedeater. I was reading some of the posts about disolving stitches, etc. and was wondering just how long does it take for the stitches to come out? I didn't have staples at all. Just stitches inside and out and lots of tape. Looks like I won't have a terrible scar. I did call earlier this week and was told it takes awhile. I love those kind of answers. I still have lots of tape. They said leave it alone and trim the edges as it begins to loosen. I don't see the doctors again until Sept. 21. My surgery was done at a teaching hospital and I have a whole team. DH was worried about that. Thought I might be a guinea pig. But everything went very well and because of my complicated case the professor performed the surgery with the assistance of the residents. I hope everyone has a wonderful day.
Unread 08-20-2005, 07:57 AM
Checking In

I didn't have any staples either. Just stiches and steri strips. The scar is big. I had the same scar from c-section of first child. I always thought it made my stomach look like a butt b/c wasn't able to ever tone that area no matter how much I dieted or exercised. I haven't noticed any disolving stiches yet myself. That sounds great that you had an entire team working on you-seems like there would be greater care and definately more than one opinion involved and so many eyes overseeing everything. I had to change doctors 10 days before my scheduled exploratory surgery date due to my former dr deciding not to pay his malpractice insurance any longer. I consulted three different doctor before chosing one but I found myself having to trust a person I had only met one time with this serious health issue. I know from all findings there was no choice and I will have better overall quality of life but still I have this naging question like--what if, or couldn't he have, etc...Did you have long history of problems and pain?
Unread 08-20-2005, 09:50 AM
Checking In

Tired,
Yes, I did have a long history of problems. It started when I was 34. Heavy bleeding, clots, cramps. They would put me on Provera for 3 months and it would straighten out for awhile. I had tests.....endometirial biopsies, vaginal ultra sounds, regular ultra sounds and pap smears throughout the years......and the tests always came back fine. Last year my periods just seemed to get worse. Heavier, longer huge clots and cramps and I felt fatigued all the time. Then this past December I had a lump develop in my uterus. I could feel it from the outside. DH could feel it too and when I layed on my back you could see it. It was growing so I went to the clinic in April. They sent me to the Specialty Clinic in Galveston. And tests revealed that I had large fibroids in my uterine wall, at least two, maybe more.....and they were growing.....went from uterus size of a 12 week pregnancy in April to a 20 week pregnancy in June. One fibroid had invovled my cervix and they said they wouldn't know for sure what else until they got in there. They couldn't even see my ovaries. As far as the team of doctors go....they have been wonderful. I was fortunate though because of the complication of my case the Professor actually did my surgery with the residents assisting. Instead of the other way around. (Students aren't allowed to do anything except observe and ask questions. DH is self employed and we don't have insurance, so Galveston was really my only option. They base the fee's on a sliding scale and even though the cost of this surgery was greatly reduced it has cost us thousands. I do feel better though, although I do seem to wear out quickly and take a lot of naps. I haven't received a complete report back on what they did find, but I know all the pathology came back benign and I had 3 large (one young doc called them huge) fibroids. They also did a Burch Procedure (tacked my bladder up) while they were in there. I was having some stress incontinence issues if I coughed or sneezed. But as I said before......so far so good and everyday seems to get better. I've been reading some of the posts here though and it looks like some have it rough about week 4. So if next week seems rough will at least know I am not alone. Take care of you and I don't mind emails, I'm a little slow to reply somedays though........Theresa

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register