Did I not ask enough ? | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Did I not ask enough ? Did I not ask enough ?

Unread 08-19-2005, 08:23 PM
Did I not ask enough ?

Hello,
I am 3 week post op and I had my uterus and cervix removed. Going into the surgery we was not sure if I was going to have to have a full or partial hysterectomy, so after the surgery was completed I was very happy to learn that I got to keep both ovaries. However now I am left wondering what to expect, I did not ask many question going into the surgery and I feel kind of stupid for acting so passive. It simply never crossed my mind to think about how my body will re act , or not act at all, with only having two ovaries and everything else gone. I know I can make my own estrogen, but I was thinking I would have no more periods or PMS stuff? wow I have a lot of homework to do on this subject .
I am so bord here at home, i want to go back to work so so so bad. I had to fight myself not to return this weekend. I know i need at lest 4 weeks off to recover but its so so hard to stay down. I got my Internet turned on today so now I can start surfing and so on. Funny thing is I really don't feel any different emotionally speaking than I did be4 the surgery. Maybe its too soon to tell? As of today I am totally off the pain meds and I am moving around way more normally, feeling it all. Well, I have to say the hardiest part of this all was the inability to do things for myself. I was trying to vacuum my carpets a week after surgery. I just could not stay down. I think I probably did more than the doctor recommend but nevertheless thats behind me now. I had never had any major surgery and was not one to ask for help, fact is I have only my kids here. But I got passed it all with the help of my kids. I had a real hard time walking and moving around the first two weeks of surgery but other than that I really feel fine. I was in a ton ton of pain after the surgery, I can not take morphine and the stuff they gave me sure was not working. my oxygen. level was low anyway that was about all the problems i had, just the very very very bad pain right after surery .. geez it has made me truly worried to ever have another surgery again. I just never thought they would not be able to totaly stop the pain. Boy was i wrong. o well ... I am just happy I will never ever have a period again. Any info on post op will be a good thing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2005, 08:37 PM
Did I not ask enough ?

Hi Lexie,
You sound like me all over the place and feel ing like you are no place. It is strange isn't it?
Don't feel stupid, you did all you could do at the time. Now you can do some research. There are lots of threads right here if you just do a search. There are so many women that have their ovaries that can help you navigate what lies ahead. I didn't research what it mean to not have my ovaries before my surgery. I think I dealt with all I could before the surgery. I was on emtional overload and at one point I had to not turn my computer on so I wouldn't think about everything too much.

What do you want to know about post op? I don't have my ovaries but how can I help you?
Please don't feel stupid. You're not. You did the best you could and no one can ask more than that. Congratulations. I hope you heal well and post any questions you have. I hope the sisters that still have their ovaries will reply to your post.
Keep up the good work!
Marg
Unread 08-19-2005, 09:28 PM
Did I not ask enough ?

As far as keeping your ovaries, I think the most frequent recommendation is that if your ovaries are healthy and there is no family history of ovarian cancer, you should keep them. So it was probably really good that you kept them, even though you may not have actively made that decision yourself. Having your ovaries will give you natural hormone production and strong bones.

I kept my ovaries. My dr warned me that in the first few weeks, I might have some early menopause symptoms, because the surgery is a shock to the ovaries, but they will adjust and things will even out until I reach menopause naturally. So don't worry if you feel a little out of sorts for a few weeks. I was kind of freaking out around 2 or 3 weeks, but it's been much better since then.

I noticed you're in Lexington--I have family there and I live just 2 hours away!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2005, 09:34 PM
Did I not ask enough ?

I kept the one ovary that I have and am happy to report that it is still working producing hormones. I am beginning to get signs of PMS. More than likely your ovaries will do just fine, even though it may take a while for them to kick back in.
Unread 08-19-2005, 09:48 PM
Did I not ask enough ?

i am having sharp pain in my lower left side. i am wondering what it is from. i also wonder why i am having the same pain i had before my surgery during sex that was the whole reason why i went to the doctor. that is when she said i was having pain because of endo.and because of all the scaring on my uterus so she removed them. but i am still having the same pain during sex. does anyone have the same pain. please reply sisters.. thanks
Unread 08-19-2005, 09:59 PM
Did I not ask enough ?

Did you keep your ovaries? I am sorry that you are having pain...I would call you dr and if you are not comfortable with the dr that dod your surgury then go to your gp and get a referral to another one. I am sorry you are in pain!
Marg
Unread 08-20-2005, 06:07 AM
Did I not ask enough ?

Lexie31, basically if you kept your ovaries and experienced PMS before your surgery, you will still have some of the symptoms after.

I am period free, but still have water retention, irritability, etc. Not good news in my book, but better than surgical menopause.
Unread 08-20-2005, 06:12 AM
Did I not ask enough ?

hi lexie

i kept both ovaries and they finally started working again about 5 wks and when they did man they kicked in royally never had pms in my life and i got it bad now hubby is so ready to scream sometimes cuz i bite his head off for the littlest things and then apologize I knew they had finally kicked in when my sex drive started coming back but the bad news there was i got a hematoma 2 inches long and one inch wide at 2 wks and it got infected was on two antibiotics and it is still not completely gone doc says we can have sex again but i told hubby not with drainage still coming out just dont feel right doing that to him i too thought my ovaries were never gonna work again but they will just takes them time lexie so dont worry

I am 7 and 1/2 wks post op now and still have to take it easy dont push yourself like everyone says it could take 6 mths to a year before you are fully healed I have been put to bed and put into the recliner more than once by hubby cuz swelly belly or just pains

Your body is healing and it gives us little pains once in a while to remind us of this that we did have major surgery and lost an organ that had been there for all of our lives

it is great that your kids help ya any help and support ya get is great i got the best hubby in the world and would have been up a creek without him

so dont push things and just rest when needed these ladies here are the best and was so blessed when i found them cuz without them i probably would have done something i shouldnt have (SMILE)

hope the info about the ovaries helped i too didnt ask many questions and it wouldnt have done much good doc just says that i aint worried which makes me mad but so is life i just ask the other docs and they explain

hope you get to feeling better and all keeps going well
Unread 08-20-2005, 08:26 AM
Did I not ask enough ?

Hi Lexie, I am glad to hear that you are doing well. This site is full of information checkout :Checkpoints and the Post-Op Articles.

The sisters are very supportive here and give lots of hugs. Continue to follow your dr's orders and take care of yourself. I am wishing you a speedy and uneventful recovery. Hugs, Carol
Unread 08-20-2005, 09:09 AM
Did I not ask enough ?

I kept my ovaries TAH 7/21. I do not know when my normal period would have been because it was all time time. Two weeks post op had the very same pain in my lower left side. Boobs sore face broke out and very emotional. So I think I was having PMS and this pain was the same as before, terrible ! Called Dr he told that this surgery might not help all my pain issues. I had a few words for him. Call your Dr. See what they say. You should not have the same pain I don't think and since we do maybe they should help us find out what the pain is all about!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register