New Here - Mar 2 is the BIG Day | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New Here - Mar 2 is the BIG Day New Here - Mar 2 is the BIG Day

Unread 02-29-2004, 10:11 PM
New Here - Mar 2 is the BIG Day

Hi Everyone,
I have been reading posts and just kind of lurking for about a month now. I've read the Hyster Sisters book, and enjoyed it. I plan to leave it at the nurse's station at the hospital to be shared with other freshly Punctured Princesses. Thanks to all of you for so freely sharing your stories and for being so supportive of one another. It feels great to find a place where I feel as though my fears won't be dismissed as neurotic. :-)
My TAH, due to severe endometriosis and some adhesions, is scheduled for this Tuesday. Initially, my insurance co refused to pay for a hysterectomy, demanding that I have a laparoscopy to "prove" that I needed it. Ok, so I went through the lap and have successfully proved to some guy in a suit that my pain is not all in my head.
I'm getting scared now. Recovery from the lap was rough, and I know this recovery is going to be a lot more intense. I've had three cesareans, and although I know the surgeries are not the same thing, I do anticipate similar pain and recovery, to some extent.
Stuff I am currently freaking out about: all the what ifs; what if my bladder is damaged, what if I need a blood transfusion, what if I wake up mid-surgery, what if, what if, what if!
Support is kinda minimal around here. My husband doesn't seem to GET it. He took off a total of 2 days from work. The day of my surg, and the day I should be coming home. We have three children (10, 8, and 4). I have one girlfriend who lives nearby who is able to help out a little with child care for a couple of days. The older two are off from school most of the week following my surg, and I don't know what I am going to do then with three children at home, less than one week out of the hospital.
I know this is long; I guess I just needed to vent and share my worries a little bit. Thanks for being here. Please don't respond to me via email, as I don't use the email acct that I had to provide to sign up here, so I won't get it. If anyone wants to get in touch via email, just use my screen name at softhome.net - that is the email addy that I actually use.

Thanks again! Good luck to all of you Mon and Tues ladies!
Sherry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-29-2004, 10:33 PM

Sherry,
I understand your concerns. I had a TAV on Feb. 2nd, so am 4 weeks recuperated. I didn't have any small children ( 17 and 21) and a husband who was quite helpful. Although I had 2 c-sections, this recuperation was more difficult. Some people mentioned that it could be my 20 year age difference... My husband had a very small umbilical hernia about 20 years ago, so remembers the pain of any abdominal surgery. That helped him understand my slow recovery.

Four weeks is a big milestone and I am feeling quite good. Please tell your family to expect that you won't be able to cook, clean or run around the house at your usual pace. I didn't feel like driving for 3 weeks, so hopefully you will have help driving. If anyone asks if they can help always say yes to dinners, carpooling, picking up groceries, etc. You will feel helpless for a few weeks, but IT IS ONLY TEMPORARY! don't worry needlessly about the surgery, most surgical teams do this surgery all of the time, so it is fairly routine. I'm sure your hospital is very qualified.

Good luck with your recovery- have patience- and explain to your children that you will be better than ever in 4-6 weeks, but you will need their help. Best of luck, Keeler
Unread 02-29-2004, 10:41 PM

Thanks, Keeler,

I feel a bit like a big cry baby. :-) It was so nice to have someone respond so quickly, and I appreciate the advice. I am hoping that my husband will be jolted into realization once he sees the actual impact of the surgery. He was wonderful with my cesareans, but there are a lot more responsibilities for him to take over for this surgery.
I won't have to drive at first, but my poor kids will have to walk up the hill in the cold to get home. I guess they will manage! My oldest daughter is a dream, and will be very helpful, but the four year old is experiencing the terrible fours. LOL It will be a challenge for everyone in the family, I think, to have me out of commission.
I'm 36. That should work in my favor as far as recovering reasonably quickly, and I really hope that hormone replacement doesn't take too long to "get it right" so that I can start feeling like me again!
I am glad to hear that you are feeling good at your four week mark! It only gets better from there.

Take care,
Sherry
TAH scheduled 3/2/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-29-2004, 10:53 PM

Sherry,

I will be in for my TAH one week (almost) after you on 3/8. I too have a very unsupportive DH. Thankfully I can count on my 14 year old (sometimes). I am scared about my 11 year old - I haven't been feeling the greatest lately and he keeps bounding onto me - I am trying to get him to understand that has to stop. Today I went and purchased a car load of groceries to hold us for a while. Do you know my husband was mad because I made him get off the couch to help me bring it in the house? Anyway - I am glad you have been lurking. I have been reading and asking LOTS of questions. From what I understand we are in for a couple of days of wild ride and then the healing begins - I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Just so you know - I have mentioned a number of times that I feel like I am being a big baby - that is until this last week. Eating has become almost impossible since my stomach is being pushed by my uterus - my sides and back hurt and I am going through a cycle for the 3rd time since my dr. suggested a Hyst - only 5 weeks ago. I am ready as I am sure you are. We have to support each other - even if it is only via type. Take care - good luck - and let me know how it goes. You can email me at the link.

Take care.

Carole
Unread 02-29-2004, 11:03 PM

Good luck and our thoughts are with you
Unread 03-01-2004, 04:30 AM

my thoughts r w/u too...i will be in tomorow at 730a,,,,wont have much time to think,,but i will be thinking of everyone tonite/

total abdominal hyso.
Unread 03-01-2004, 05:16 AM

Hi Sherry

Welcome to HysterSisters! There is tons of information, advice, support, and s when you need them.

Be sure to check out the PreOp Hints and Articles (click here) PostOp Articles (click here) and Princess Stories (click here) for information and answers to help you get ready for surgery and what to expect after surgery.

Also please be sure to read the info New Here? which can also be accessed from the top of every screen, for information to help you get the most out of this site.

Read and research as much as possible to help you, in conjunction with your DR, make the best decisions for you.

Best wishes!

ps: please click <control panel> and go into your profile and add your surgery date. This way you will be on the calendar and we can be sure to send you special good wishes as your date approaches. Thanks!
Unread 03-01-2004, 12:09 PM

I just wanted to wish you luck and a speedy recovery.

God Bless You and Keep You!
Unread 03-01-2004, 01:32 PM

hi

Just saying hello and to wish you good luck, i,m 2 weeks post op don,t be scared it,s worth it, every day gets better, just rest after, will be difficult with you having 3 children but do try, lots of love :0)
Unread 03-01-2004, 05:07 PM

I wish you a safe and speedy recovery.
I am fortunate enough to have a very supportive husband and
child in my camp. As well as friends and sisters who have all
offerred hubby their help should we need it.

I honestly hope that life gives the unsupportive people in your
lives a nice swift karmic smack up the back side of their heads!

Going in 7 days ... and counting!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register