Scheduled LAVH LAVH in 2 days and unsure now..help! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LAVH in 2 days and unsure now..help! LAVH in 2 days and unsure now..help!

Unread 06-02-2009, 11:00 PM
LAVH in 2 days and unsure now..help!

Hi, Im new here. I need some advice. I'm so worried, and not sure what to do.
I have several large uterine fibroids that have increasingly caused pain, and affected my bladder for several years. Lately the discomfort is just getting worse. I had a fibroid embolization over a year ago, but it did not help. It was a rough year..I also got breast cancer and have had 5 surgeries. Its gone now, but i have a severe depression and anxiety. also alot of trauma at home with my teenager.
Because of all this I've been on disability trying to heal and also get over my depression.
Im a single mom, and when my surgeries are over I'll need to find retraining as I have no skills. I think Im also going through mid life crisis lol. Im very lost about my life.
This last surgery I feel very uninformed about. I want so much to have it to finally get my surgeries over with. Okay i have one more after this though but not as big, but its traumatic because my reconstruction from breast surgery failed and the nipple they gave me fell off. Yes this is about hysterectomies by the way. I just want to explain that I need to make the right decision because I can't take any more loss or trauma. By loss I mean I already feel mangled from my other surgeries. And my life has been on hold. I'm having a lavh in 2 days and I was so confused by my depression I didn't fully realise what it intailed. The point is they are removing my uterise and one ovary and cervix. The surgeon said it would not affect me..i wouldn't go intomenopause and it would not affect my sex life. Then I read online conflicting info. Some women said having your uteris removed and cervic and an ovary killed their sex drive. And they gained weight. Others said it was better than ever. I already feel like a mangled woman...I don't want to lose my sex drive. I want to someday join my boyfriend who lives far away when my youngest who is almost on her feet becomes independent I want to be able to enjoy that. Can someone please help me know how removing the uteris and cervix affects you? I have one option of telling my surgeon just before the surgery I want my cervix left intact (if I can find out that keeping it helps with a better sex drive). She normally takes it out. My boyfriend suggested having my fibroids just taken out but its too late now. The surgery is almost upon me. I had to wait so long for it. I can't bare to wait longer. Any info would be helpful. Im very distressed and don't know what to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2009, 11:18 PM
Re: LAVH in 2 days and unsure now..help!

Whoa...it's gonna be alright. I'm six weeks post op and life is slowly but surely getting better. It seems as if you are overwhelmed. I too have a teenager at home, but a husband who is a great support. Do you have a support system at all? Have you gone through all of this on your own? If so, I'm amazed you're doing as well as you are. I will tell you that I am soooo glad to have had the surgery done. I feel more like myself now than before the surgery. And...sex is fine. Not much difference. Really...it's gonna be alright. Hang in there.
Unread 06-02-2009, 11:35 PM

Hi, thanks for your reply. You had the same surgery? Yes Im very overwhelmed. I don't have support..well my boyfriend on the phone. I was looking on this site and everyone was saying they lost their sex drive. Before you replied I was thinking of chickening out of my surgery and seeing about just having my fibroids removed...myomectomy? Anyhow thanks. Its good to hear someone that is fine in that area after!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-03-2009, 07:52 AM

Hi Brenda

You've definitely had a lot going on in your life. Unfortunately, there's no way to predict how any one woman will be affected by a hysterectomy. Many women have improved sex lives, and many women have this part of their lives negatively affected. If you go to our pre-op resource page (click on Pre-op in the light blue bar at the top of the screen), you'll find an article, "Is Sex Really the Same After Hysterectomy?" This might help you a bit.

I had my both my uterus and cervix removed, and I haven't noticed any decline in sex drive. Some women do, though, so it's smart to be thinking about this if that is important to you. My pain finally got to be so bad that I decided that the risk was worth it.

I wish we could have guarantees about what our lives will be like post-hysterectomy. Since we don't, I'm glad you've found us before your surgery and that you don't feel so alone going through this.
Unread 06-03-2009, 08:48 AM

I agree with fritzi64 - everyone is different and reacts to this surgery differently. I had a TAH/BSO, so I had both ovaries, my uterus and my cervix removed. I am two months post-op and the sex is as good as ever. My prayers and thoughts are with you.
Unread 06-03-2009, 08:53 AM

How very disconcerting for you, I am sure. You say that it is too late, but going through with it or not is totally in your control. I don't want to throw even more uncertainty your way by saying any of this, but you seem so unsure. Your boyfriend makes a very good point. Have you discussed myomectomy as an option with your doctor? Do you maybe need another opinion? Hope you are at peace with whatever decision you make. Many, many hugs to you!
Unread 06-04-2009, 01:13 AM

Thankyou everyone for your support. I reallly appreciate it! Im going in tomorrow morning for my surgery. I have questions for my surgeon, but am going through with it. Im not nervous right now. I was earlier. But your notes and talking to my family and boyfriend helped, so again thankyou . Right now Im just hungry lol. Im on pre-op liquids only. I'll post on here how it all went.
Unread 06-04-2009, 05:55 AM

Hi Brenda1,
Im glad you made a decision about your surgery. I have not had mine yet. But I feel the same worries as you. I feel this is the 1 choice I have though to try to get my life back.
I feel for you with all your surgeries.
It sounds like my last year. I too had breast cancer & have a really messed up reconstruction. I have Symmastia & have to have that fixed after I am healed from this surgery. My reconstruction keeps getting delayed by other surgeries. I had a hole in my heart & had to have that fixed in Dec.

Im starting to feel like an expert surgery patient

Good luck today with your diet. And tomorrow!
We will be here for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register