Adenomyosis Options - Need Advice | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Adenomyosis Options - Need Advice Adenomyosis Options - Need Advice

Unread 06-23-2010, 09:40 AM
Adenomyosis Options - Need Advice

After my third son was born, I went on Yaz for almost three years. Immediately after stopping the pill my trouble began. I had two years of constant, but not very heavy, irregular bleeding with clots (always during sex, also) until recently an MRI finally concluded that I have adenomyosis. I have dull cramps and backache almost all of the time.
My gyn suggested mirena first and then ablation (if that doesn't work) to control the bleeding. Has anyone had experience with this? I know it will just delay a hysterectomy since I am only 36, but with three young boys I just don't have the time to deal with a long recovery.
I am very sensitive to BCPs and am wary of putting anything else in my body as I suspect that Yaz caused all of this in the first place.
TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2010, 10:18 AM
Re: Adenomyosis Options - Need Advice

Hi Tia,

Sorry to hear that you are dealing with adenomyosis. It's not fun.

Endometrial ablation may stop the bleeding, but it will not do anything to arrest the progress of adenomyosis. Being sensitive to hormones, you may have problems on Mirena, but trying it has to be your decision.

I know that for myself, after having a D&C and being on various BCPs (the latest were taken without breaks to supposedly eliminate bleeding altogether, which was enormously unsuccessful), the bleeding continued and the pain was relentless. I was concerned about the adenomyosis (and other problems) becoming worse, as that was the trend for me. By the time I made the decision to go ahead with a hysterectomy, I knew it was right for me because I figured that I'd rather go through the recovery with a good prognosis on the other side, instead of continuing to sink into a deep, dark pit.

My two year old daughter was actually a reason for me to do the surgery, as I was becoming less and less able to participate in activities with her. I wanted to get my life back on track. I do understand not wanting to have to be down and out for a while when you have small children. I can tell you that it feels really good not to be crying, sick, and in a constant state of pain and misery after a couple months post-op. I'm starting to resume the activities that I loved, and my daughter flourishes because of this.

Like I said, it has to be your decision. Continue to post your questions, talk to women who have been in your shoes and take what you can from their experiences. I found it helpful to discuss things with both of my docs at length to get their take on things.

All the best to you!
Unread 06-23-2010, 04:31 PM

I hope you find our site helpful and supportive! We do have a lot information in our Resource Database you might want to look through before you make your final decision.

My sister is very sensitive to hormones but is using the Mirena Coil. So, it might be an option for you as well since the hormone only goes where it is needed--the uterus--rather than being systemic.

I don't recall ever hearing that Yaz causes adenomyosis. There is belief that there is a connection between childbirth and adeno, both vaginal and c-section births. (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/Ade...SECTION=causes)

Have you had a second opinion to determine what might be the best route for you? Another doctor may have some additional ideas or information to help you with your decision.

I do feel that less invasive options should be tried first as a hysterectomy is a major, irreversible surgery that is not without a lot of risks. I tried various options myself before having my hysterectomy.

When I did have a hysterectomy, my two boys were small (3 and 5). To be honest, it was difficult as I had complications and was unable to care for them for many, many weeks. Thankfully my MIL was able to step in and help!

You are doing the right thing by asking questions and looking for answers! Weigh all of your pros and cons and do what is right for you! Whatever you decide, we will support you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2010, 05:46 PM

I haven't heard alot of success stories with the Mirena, but I do agree that it doesn't hurt to try every option before doing the surgery. Once it's out, can't put it back.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register