Anemia....post op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anemia....post op Anemia....post op

Unread 06-28-2004, 06:12 PM
Anemia....post op

I'm curious about if my anemic condition will change for the better and how long it takes to get back to normal after surgery.
Obviously my heavy periods have caused this, and does no more periods mean no more anemia???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2004, 06:22 PM
Anemia....post op

I'm not sure how long it takes to rebuild your iron after surgery. I was on a high strength Iron supplement 3 times a day for six weeks before and after surgery.

I don't know what my numbers were before surgery, just that they were pretty low and my DR said we had to get it up before surgery, and I haven't had my levels checked since surgery, I just know I started feeling a lot better pretty quickly (I mean from the anemia).
Unread 06-29-2004, 07:08 AM
Anemia....post op

Hi, I was slightly anemic before my surgery and was sent home with iron to take for a few weeks afterwards. I've been fine since then.

Best wishes.

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2004, 03:11 PM
Low iron/hemoglobin

Hi - in February I had a blood test for iron deficiency, and my reading came back at 102 g/L. (Normal range for women is 120-160 g/L) I was prescribed an iron supplement 3 times daily, which I took more or less faithfully, though I can't say I really noticed any difference in energy. I had my surgery on May 27th, and shortly after that my iron level was read at 107 g/L. I'm still taking the 3xdaily iron supplement, and hoping that since I'm no longer bleeding that when I go in for my six-week check my levels will be up.

I try to eat an orange a day - that seems to help some. Since the surgery I've been taking a stool softener.

My energy levels are still really low. I realise part of that is the surgery and the anesthetic, but part of it is probably the anemia as well. These numbers sure seem to take their time - guess it shows how much blood I was losing!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register