how do I stop thinking about my surgery day??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

how do I stop thinking about my surgery day??? how do I stop thinking about my surgery day???

Unread 05-10-2003, 01:26 AM
how do I stop thinking about my surgery day???

how do i stop obsessing over my surgery day I'm having my TAH on July 11 and I'm just can't stop thinking about it and Iam on this computer everyday like Iam having withdrawals or something What can I do to try and keep my sanity until my surgery date gets closer. everytime Iam on this computer and reading all of the post and I go from nervous to scare to changing my mine them back to wanting the surgery it just seems like i go in circles getting my self workup and confused to doubting if i really need a Hysterectomy. please help me try and keep my sanity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2003, 02:22 AM

There are many ladies that spend a lot of time on the site. The reason is to be informed and to help others. Perhaps with what you are learning you could share with others. It may take your mind of your worries to help others. We all go through various emotions so you are not alone.

Also, find a project to focus some of your time that will keep your hands and mind busy. I took up knitting shawls for elderly in nursing homes. Just to keep the mind and hands occupied. Not that I'm doing very well after all this time, but it worked.

TC
Unread 05-10-2003, 02:43 AM

Dear Honesty,

My surgery date is Monday. Here's what I had to do to preserve my sanity: First of all, I researched this site and found out everything I thought I needed to know about the type of surgery I was having. I had a lot of questions, so that took several days. Then, because I began having anxiety attacks, I stoped visiting this site and basically stayed off the computer alltogether. I had quite a long wait too, so I focused on projects that I wanted to complete. I cleaned out all of my closets and dressers, including my dd and dh's and all the coat and linnen closets. I painted everything that needed it. I dusted everything that needed it. I reorgainized my kitchen cabinets and my bathrooms too. I cleaned the garage. I did all the filing that usually piles up on my desk. I washed my windows. I cleaned my fridge and oven. I super cleaned my house. I did a little gardening (still a little early here in Oregon). I got my dd's memory book up-to-date. I redecorated our guest room with fresh paint, linnens, light fixtures, small furnature and pictures. It is the room I will be recouperating in and I wanted it to be comfortable and nice. I worked out almost every day. This was the best stress reliever of all!

I started revisiting this site and asking questions and posting once a week instead of every day. I stopped reading the posts about problems post-opp. I only read posts that I thought would be positive.

So far so good. I am still very anxious about Monday's surgery but today, I feel like I am going to make it. The waiting is horrendous, everyone on this site will tell you it is the worst part. Whew, I feel like I am ok though. I feel like........FINALLY..... the waiting is over.

Good luck and get busy, it will make it go by faster!

hugs, val
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2003, 07:30 AM
Yep...uh huh...I know what you mean!

Sweetie...I had 6 weeks to wait, so I know what you mean. My surgery is coming up on Wednesday.

I found that the best way to avoid obsessing is to do something for someone who is worse off than you...and you can ALWAYS find someone who fits that bill. In my case, it's my uncle, who is ailing from inoperable lung, throat, and esophagal cancer, and my young neighbor, a mother of 2 small girls, who is being poked, prodded, MRI'd, neurologically examined for potential Multiple Sclerosis...all while her husband is on a business trip to Japan. He doesn't even know about it because she doesn't want to worry him!

The other thing I do, just like all the others here, is visit this site frequently and read, read, read. I avoid the post-op board for the most part, and WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T visit pelvicfloor.com unless you have a VERY strong stomach. I thought I did, but I nearly fell off my chair looking at the photos of the procedure I'll have. I really wish I hadn't gone there.

You'll be fine...truly...but don't be afraid to post your worries on our "Top 10 Worries" thread...if you haven't read it, please do...you will end up laughing...I PROMISE!

Peace of mind and a calm spirit to you,
Simi
Unread 05-10-2003, 10:59 AM
Hi Honesty

I have another 4 weeks to wait and I think about my hyst all the time, especiall on a day like today when I am overtired, upset and constant pain.

Sorry! Came on to help uoy not complain.

Today aside I find the best way to occupy my mind is to concentrate more on recovery and make lots of plans, they may or may not work out, but my mind is occupied. Each week I buy myself a little treat for the Castle or my recovery room at home post op. Candles, nice soaps, lotions, cute jammies etc.

Remember why you need ths surgury and how good you will feel afterward.

Love,

Marie
Unread 05-10-2003, 11:13 AM

Of course you are going to think about the surgery. But you can get yourself very involved in your life and that helps a lot. Stop reading about the problems. Once your resesarch is done and your decision is firm, just come here for support. I would wake up early some mornings feeling scared and I didn't let myself stay with that. I would always get up when I felt scared and get involved in something that kept my mind occupied. I might tell my dh that I was scared, get a hug and remember why I wanted to have the surgery. Then I'd just get busy, whether it was getting out in the garden and getting my hands dirty, paying the bills, playing with my gd, whatever. Just know that life goes on and life will go on afterwards, too.
Unread 05-11-2003, 12:58 AM
Thanks ladies

I can tell you how much I thank youall for the support I am surley going to take all of you advice and get busy on somethings that I need to get before surgery. I really don't need to stress myself out about this. Iam so glad I have you all to talk to it reall makes it alot better for me. I wish I could give you all a big Thank you ladies I will try not to think about it to much and I will not read anymore post-op problems. I will expect nothing but a good castle visit. oh isn't that funny the hospital that i will have my surgery is called Castle Medical Center isn't funny.
Unread 05-12-2003, 09:37 AM

to be truthfull there is little you can do to stop thinking about the dreaded day..... i was deperate for the day to come and yet i was terrified too..... try and focus on how you will feel afterwards.... okay.. it will be tough at first but slowly but surely you will feel better and a new you will emerge...... i took up drawing pre op and i found that distracted my mind and now i find myself wanting to draw and paint... i have become fairly good at it..... you need a distraction.. drawing and painting worked for me.. why not give it a go?... i wish you well.... remember... waiting is truly the worst part as you will discover... mary. xx
Unread 05-17-2003, 08:58 PM

Ok, I am back, I had my surgery on Monday and here I sit on Saturday talking on the computer. It was not that bad! Really and truthfully. The waiting truely is the hardest part! I am the world's worst worrier. I even gave myself anxiety attacks thinking about everything, but now I am back and I can honestly tell you that it was ok, not so bad even, I am up walking around, climbing stairs, sleeping on my side in a normal bed, eating, going to the bathroom and look I can type........although I still can't spell, lol. Relax, if I can do it, anyone can.
Unread 05-17-2003, 11:30 PM

Honesty,

OMG, you sound just like me. I couldn't think of anything else. I couldn't even sleep the night before. I don't think I slept more than three hours!

What I did was clean my house and be here, clean my house and be here, clean my house and be here. I hate to clean my house, but I knew I wouldn't get much help in that department when I got home. I wanted get everything done as much as possible so that I could rest and not worry. It also helped with the nervous energy.

You could also try to exercise, that will help with the stress and clear your mind. I also think it helps to be around people and talk about their problems or worries. That seemed to take my mind off my surgery for a while. It also helps to be around other people because I knew I couldn't break down in front of them and make a fool of myself, ie. co-workers. I hope this helps.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register