Hrt? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 11-07-2003, 11:59 PM
Hrt?

Hello Sisters,

I would very much like to know what my sisters did in the way of HRT when everything was removed. I ferl so stupid. I think that is one of the most important things to ask and I forgot. LOL. It is the first item on my question list for Wed. Anyway, thanks in advance for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2003, 12:21 AM
Hrt?

Hi Caddy! You're right, HRT is a very important part of the whole process. What does your DR think about it? The decision about what HRT to try will depend on the reason for your hysterectomy and also possibly your history with other hormonal products like bcp's.

One of the easiest HRT's to start out with, assuming you are allowed to use estrogen (many ladies who've had cancer diagnoses or endo, or those with a history of blood clots, cannot), is an estradiol patch. There are many different brands of patches. The two most popular here are the Vivelle dot and Climara. Both patches come in dosages of .025, .0375, .05, .075 and 0.1mg/day and both are estradiol suspended in an adhesive matrix. The Vivelle dot is smaller and is changed twice a week, whereas the Climara patch is larger but only changed once a week. I happen to prefer the Vivelle dot, but Climara is a great choice too, as is Esclim.

Avoid generic patches like the plague.... they do not stick well and many of us have had lots of problems with them. If your DR does start you on a patch, the most important tip I can give you up front is, have the DR write on the prescription, 'do not substitute' or 'dispense as written' so the insurance folks can't make your pharmacy substitute a generic. Also, most DRs will have samples in their office that they can give you so you can try out a particular patch before committing to a whole month's prescription for them.

There are also all kinds of oral HRT's, from plain generic estradiol or the brand name Estrace, to the synthetics and combination HRT's. For more information (LOTS more) on hormones and HRT's, come visit us in the Hormone Jungle forum, OK? Also the Hormone Jungle Resources Forum has some great information and links to helpful websites as well as reviews of some very useful books.

Making a choice about what HRT to try is one thing; however, what ultimately matters is what HRT makes you feel like yourself. That is something that can take some time to figure out. Some women do great on the first HRT their DR sends them home with from the hospital, while some struggle for a long time trying to find the right mix for them. Here's hoping you have an easy time finding your balance!

s,
-Linda
Unread 11-08-2003, 07:25 AM
Hrt?

Hi Caddy,

I'm four weeks post op from my TAH and just started HRT on Thursday. My doc and I never discussed it prior to Thursday, I had assumed since I had uterine cancer that I wouldn't be able to take hormones. When I saw him this week I began crying and telling him all the things that were going on with me (hot flashes, insomnia, mood swings, uncontrollable crying) he comforted me and then told me he had been waiting for this to happen. He said he had waited because some patients don't experience these symptoms, but if you tell them of the possibility they most likely will develop them (psycho-sematic). So, I am now on Premasin (I think that's the name LOL). I'm still having the hot flashes, if I don't see a change in them by next Thursday when I go back I'll talk to the doc about it.

I was very nervous about taking hormones because I know they have some serious side effects. He assured me that the risk of developing breast cancer is higher for women who keep their ovaries. I decided that for me, it was worth the risk.

Good luck with your decision and with your operation!

Mary Ellen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2003, 10:14 AM
Hrt?

Thank you so much for all of the information. I have made the decision to have the hyst and feel very much relieved and know I made the right decision. Now the HRT has me so concerned. Waiting to see how I get along makes a lot of sence. I will talk to the doctor about though. Thanks again.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register