Preparing for the castle | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Preparing for the castle Preparing for the castle

Unread 03-08-2004, 03:47 PM
Preparing for the castle

Since I just found out I'll need a hyst, and it will likely be scheduled for mid-June, I need to start thinking about getting prepared for the castle.

Here are my thoughts so far.

1 Week before:
Get a haircut
Get a leg wax (don't/can't deal with stubble or shaving after surgery)
Prepare several meals and freeze them for after surgery

Day before surgery
Bowel prep (I will need this, unfortunately)
cut fingernails
cut toe nails (can you imagine trying to bend over to cut these after surgery?)

My list for the castle:

Blistex
graham crackers
mini-fan (was just in the castle overnight for hernia repair, and NEEDED a fan it was so hot)
books/mags to read
lotion
ear plugs (too noisy to sleep well during my last stay)
my own pillow
phone card (hospital doesn't allow cell phones)
tummy pillow
bedside saddle bag (I'll make this myself) - to hold a lot of the above so that it's near on the bed when I need it. Last castle stay I had everything on the bed table, and couldn't reach without help. This fastens with velcro around the bed rails, and keeps things near to you when you need them, but out of the way
Qtips, shampoo, toothbrush/paste, pads, deodorant
robe

Am also thinking about putting together a nice care package/basket for the medical staff - put things in like small snacks (candy/nuts), trial sizes of lotions, maybe some chapstick, little things like that. I think I read here about someone doing that, and the nurses and staff too REALLY good care of her.

Any other suggestions? What have I forgotten??

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2004, 04:17 PM
Preparing for the castle

LMAO wow you just gave me ton to think about .......... gues i better get my but in gear.
Unread 03-08-2004, 06:00 PM
Preparing for the castle

You are so totaly organized!! WOW!

How about slippers and a back scratcher?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2004, 08:20 PM
something else

The only other thing I can think off is a mid length night gown and slippers. You most likely will have a cath in and it makes it easier with a not so long night gown. Plus it makes you feel better then the hospital gown they put you in. When I woke up of course I was in the lovely hospital gown from the OR but the next day the nurse came and gave me a sponge bath and asked if I had brought my own. Good Luck.
Jillie
Unread 03-08-2004, 08:40 PM
Preparing for the castle

Wow, lots more to think of and I've only got 17 days to go. I finally finished the arrangements for my 5 year old. I've got to make a list of what to pack for him.
I've got some of my stuff ready to go, shampoo, conditioner, deodarant, facial things, etc. Also got my hyster sisters package, and I must say, I love the wand! It's keeping my spirits up. I'm planning on bringing my own pillow, the hyster sister cover up and some flannel jammies, along with xtra large sweats to wear home, with a comfy sweatshirt. Got the granny undies, just need the slippers. Planning the haircut for the day before, and possibly the leg wax and pedicure if I can afford it. I always feel prettier when my feet look nice.
What is a bowel prep? Laxatives? I don't care, as long as I don't have the pain of a bm soon after surgery.
I'm going to make a care package for my Mom as suggested in another post. I'm getting her a phone card, some change for the vending machines, loaning her my hyster sister book to read while I'm in surgery. Should keep her busy. I'm grateful she's coming in. It's been years since someone has taken care of me, and I'm looking forward to having her there...
Another thing I did was I made a calendar for my son. He's going to be staying with one brother for 4 days while I'm in the castle. My Mom will be there with them, then he comes home when I leave the castle. Nana will take care of him, and then when she leaves, he's off to my other brother's for a week. The calendar has pictures of his Aunts and Uncles and cousins, his school, airplanes etc. so he knows who is coming and who is going and where he'll be. It seems to help with the security issue. Still a lot to do and the anxiety is still there!
Thanks for your post
Unread 03-10-2004, 05:14 AM
Preparing for the castle

phoenixbird

Bowel prep is involved and varies per doctor and per procedure. It's getting your bowels all cleaned out, by either drinking some stuff for 12-24 hours before surgery (and staying in or near the bathroom), or giving yourself an enema, or both.

I'll have to have it due to my bowel being involved in my endo (all insides are basically fused together, and fused to my bowel). There's a chance I'll need a bowel resection (remove part of my bowel), so my gyn will have a 2nd gyn surgeon and a general surgeon involved in my surgery.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions - I"m adding to my list all the time. If anyone else has any suggestions, please post them!!

Good luck to all who have upcoming surgeries!!
Unread 03-10-2004, 08:59 AM
Preparing for the castle

JillN1234,
Thank you so much for your post, I wish you all the best for your surgery and even though I have until 4/13, I appreciate your lists. You had things on there I hadnt thought about.

All you girls are really something, dont know what I would do with out you.
Unread 03-10-2004, 09:43 AM
Preparing for the castle

Hello, I am new to this site and what a site it is! I don't feel so all alone. I am scheduled for a total hysterectomy March 30th. I'm a nervous wreck, having a hard time going to work and sleeping. Thank you for the pre-op support. I best get me butt in gear for it won't be long til travel to the castle is near.
Love and hugs to all my new Hyster Sisters!
Lynn
Unread 03-11-2004, 06:52 AM
Preparing for the castle

karmiccrystalleim so glad you found us.i to am new and i feel so much better knowing that all there amazing women are here to halp and to lean on..........hormone hazel i just love the name :P

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register