am i wierd, or what? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

am i wierd, or what? am i wierd, or what?

Unread 05-12-2005, 11:44 AM
am i wierd, or what?

You may get your wish and not even realize it. Many Many Many hospitals incenerate biohazdardous waste which is what your body part would be considered. I bet there is a good chance that is what will happen.

Now here is my delima, I can't stand the idea of burning so I don't think I want to inquire any futher for myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-12-2005, 12:53 PM
am i wierd, or what?

One of my sons suggested putting mine in a jar like the vets do with those heart-wormy dog hearts at the vets office! Yuck!

I have thought about a picture as well. I want to see what that bugger looks like! I mean, afterall, we named him Oscar the Grouch. Kinda want to put a "face" to the name!!!!
Unread 05-12-2005, 04:06 PM
am i wierd, or what?

You gals are a riot! I'm so glad I read all of your posts! Gave me a good laugh, and let me know that I'm not alone. I have felt so badly about losing my uterus - I don't have fibroids, it's just "leaving the building" by itself via a prolapse. I have never had a problem with my periods and I had two wonderful and healthy pregnancies. My uterus is completely healthy, just falling out! I, too, want to show some respect for the organ that nurtured my two kiddos and tried to nurture a third. I love to scrapbook and I think my husband would fall over dead if I asked for a picture of it! He'd be afraid that would be the first page of the kids' baby books! I may request cremation if the hospital doesn't already do that. I at least want to know what will happen to it.

Milaka
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-12-2005, 04:40 PM
am i wierd, or what?

Just wanted you all to know that you made me laugh and cry! I've been thinking all the same things, and this is the first I've really allowed myself to being mourning (my hyst. has only been scheduled for a week). I think I might loose my mind waiting for June 21.

Mary
Unread 05-12-2005, 07:26 PM
am i wierd, or what?

I've already told my Dr. (& she has agreed) to take a picture of my uterus before she takes it out. The only reason I am having this surgery is because of a quickly growing fibroid that may not be a fibroid but a cancer instead. If it turns out the fibroid is not cancerous and I see an actual picture of how big the fiborid was, maybe I will feel like the surgery was a good idea. If it turns out it is some little bitty fibroid instead of cancerous, I will feel like I made the worst mistake of my life by going through this.

One good thing is that now that I have a date set, my family doctor has put me on an anti-anxiety drug in addition to the anti-depressant she has had me on for the last couple of months. Maybe that will calm me down and get me through all of this.
Unread 05-12-2005, 08:06 PM
Pictures

Ladies- there is a good chance to see your uterus. My dr took pitures when he took out my right ovary and fallopian tube and let me keep them for show and tell- shoot- he even took a picture of my liver!!!!!!I imagine that he'll do the same on Monday for my hysterectomy- he likes it for proof that he removed what he was suppose to and to show me what was the problem.
May you find peace with loosing your uterus- and don't be afraid to ask for what you need to find closure.

Good luck!
Unread 05-12-2005, 11:03 PM
am i wierd, or what?

I don't think it's silly at all - I think all of the above are good ideas. I come from New Zealand, and our native indigenous people (the Maori) have very strict observances regarding the uterus. It is considered extremely 'tapu' (sacred) being the organ that nourishes and provides new life.

Maori women are very adverse to having any kind of surgical intervention that involves the uterus, but of course if something is life threatening and cannot be dealt with by their own healing methods, then of course many would opt for a hysterectomy.

When the uterus is removed, and once it has been subjected to any necessary pathology, it is returned to its owner and there would be a type of 'blessing ceremony' for it and its owner, and it would be buried in a sacred place with utmost respect and more blessings.

This is also true for things like a placenta after the birth of a child. The Maori are very spiritual people with many old ways, and I find their culture very beautiful with the way they pay respect.
Unread 05-13-2005, 11:39 AM
I want a picture

Hi, I've been very curious lately as to what my uterus and ovary's look like, and I spoke with a surgical nurse friend who says I should ask at pre-op for a photo. They do it alot for kids when they have tonsils out. She said to have the pre-op nurse put a post it note on the front of the file stating "patient would like picture of specimen". I just don't want to get my doctors nose out of joint thinking I'm looking for errors!
Unread 05-13-2005, 11:50 AM
pictures

I don't see why they wouldn't do that. I had to rush my litle brother in law to the hospital about 2 years ago. His appendix ruptured and he delt with the pain for about 4 days til he couldn't stand it anymore. When he was in surgery the dr came up to me and said "Mrs. <Oops! For your own privacy and protection, please don't use your real name. > your husband is out of surgery and is ok, Took me a minute to realize he was talking to me. But then I realized he thought Shawn was Aaron! After I explained that he wasn't hubby, I was handed a picture of Shawn's insides and the appendix that had burst. Not that I understood what was what. but I still have it somewhere around this house with the rest of his stuff.
I too would talk to my dr and ask if it is possible. With mine I knew that it was'nt a chance of doing that. It was so invaded with cancer cells and fibroids that I don't know what they did with it after the path lab got done?
Unread 05-13-2005, 12:09 PM
am i wierd, or what?

When I had a laproscopic surgery several years ago I received a few minutes of videotape of the procedure.
That was enough for me..

If you need to know what your uterus looks like go to the supermarket meat department.

It looks like dinner.

I like the flowers over the water idea.

I appreciate that my body grew my children but my whole body contributed to that effort as well as the DH's sperm and God's blessing that sent their holy souls into their bodies.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register