6 weeks... really?!?! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 weeks... really?!?! 6 weeks... really?!?!

Unread 03-23-2006, 06:12 AM
6 weeks... really?!?!

Hi again Lachelle-
After I replied to your thread, I had my pre-op with my surgeon (I'm having a subtotal abdominal hyst, with a long vertical incisision--supposedly the slowest to recover from). He said I should be able to drive just fine at 2 weeks, and go back to work then too if I feel like it, just so I have some way to lie down when needed. I'll still work from home (I'm a professor, and the delight of getting freed from 6 weeks of faculty meetings makes the surgery just about worth it! Luckily I'm only teaching grad students this semester, and those conferences can be on the phone--and they love coming down to our farm anyway). My surgeon feels that, just so I don't lift anything and don't push past any pain, I'll be able to do what I feel up to. Your surgeon may be more restrictive, but it's your body you'll need to listen to.

On the post-op board, there's a long thread going with lots of posting from women who felt very good very quickly (it's called "am I the only one" or something like that.) Reading it reassured me that we're not destined to lying around in bed feeling awful for 6 weeks. Each person has an individual recovery, it sounds like, and your doctor may be perfectly happy to have you go back earlier if you're feeling well. Be optimistic, and have alternatives ready if need be--is what my doctor told me.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2006, 06:37 AM
6 weeks... really?!?!

It is always best to heed your doctors advice on what would be best for you. There are so many issues that come into play when they tell you 2 weeks for this or 6 weeks for that. Your experience may not be the same as anyone else's and likely, neither will your surgery.

IMHO, the important thing to remember when recovering is that you have just had major surgery, and you have hundreds of internal stiches. Doing too much, too soon may jeopardize your recovery overall. You may be resting and doing fine, so you do some more, then, the next day, your body tells you did too much.

Please don't rush back into anything. You have only one chance to heal. All those other things will be there when you get back, and if you take the time you need to recover, you will be better for it down the road.

All the best for your surgery and recovery.
Unread 03-23-2006, 07:01 AM
6 weeks... really?!?!

Thanks again ladies!

ester - I won't push myself too hard. I can be pretty self-abusive, but I really don't like being in pain any more than I have to, lol.

tiva - I had my pre-op yesterday as well (posted here), and my surgeon was also pretty liberal about when I could start doing some work from home. Like yours, he said as long as there was no physical work involved I should be fine. He did say that I probably wouldn't FEEL like sitting at a computer for more than an hour or so at a time, and to just pace myself.. that I know my own limits (my husband begs to differ on that point)

Mine did say he recommends not driving for 4 weeks though. He said you can have fainting spells for up to 4 weeks post-surgery. But again, everyone is different. I've never been much of a fainter, so I'm not sure I'll heed the 4-week rule there, lol.

I'll have to check out the thread on the post-op board, thanks for pointing me there.

Good luck to you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2006, 07:19 AM
6 weeks... really?!?!

Just wondering if you were a candidate for LSH. I know not everyone is and that not every doctor is trained in this procedure. I traveled over 100 miles to find a doctor who was and fortunately, I was a candidate. Recovery time is much quicker.
Unread 03-23-2006, 07:29 AM
6 weeks... really?!?!

Hi newroad,

I wish I was. My surgeon felt I wasn't a good candidate for laparoscopic surgery, due to the extent of scar tissue caused by my endometriosis. He felt he could do a cleaner, and more thorough job with a TAH. I found out yesterday I won't be keeping my cervix, either. Not sure I'm 100% comfortable with that, but I also don't like the idea of cervical cancer, either.

That's awesome you are able to have a LSH though, best of luck to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register