TVH Question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 09-20-2004, 08:30 PM
TVH Question

Hi,

I am also scheduled to have a TVH & LSO I have been reading so much and seeing problems and then I read about Women with no problems. I am just a bundle of nerves at this point...I am just plain scared ....Will my vagina look the same?? I am also worried and this may sound strange but how can they see to remove everything without hitting or hurting other organs?? I already have a problem with incontinence and I am afraid this will make it worse. Should I get that taken care of before this ?? Is there anybody else out there who can give me some words of advice. I meet with my Dr on the 27th & have a page full of questions for him.............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2004, 10:21 PM
TVH Question

if youre dealing with incontinence you really should have this evaluated PRIOR to surgery. That way the dr(s) will know what type of incontinence youre dealing with and if surgery is necessary it can (probably) be done at the same time as the hysterectomy.
To answer your questions, yes the vagina will look the same. The dr's are not messing with the vagina, unless youre having A&P repairs (even then the vagina isnt made to look abnormal...the walls are tightened back up and the vagina is placed back into its normal position).
The dr(s) will be able to see what he/she is doing--dont worry. I know how (was explained to me) this procedure is done in terms of how the dr's see what theyre doing. I'm not going to share this information for fear of making others on here nervous. However if you'd like to know feel free to PM me and i'll inform you. Theres also a website that is set up by a surgeon that shows (very graphic) pictures of gynecological procedures, everything from surgeries to childbirth. That website is pelvicfloor.com. Its not for the squeamish or anyone who might NOT want to know whats done during a surgical procedure so discretion is advised.
The only comforting advice I can give you is to make sure you have total faith and trust in your surgeon. If you have ANY doubt at all dont hesitate to seek out another medical opinion. If youre not having this procedure due to a life threatening condition, then you have all the time you need to seek other opinions/options.
Hope this helped.
stay well
diana
Unread 09-21-2004, 04:50 AM
TVH Question

Hi Betty,

to Hyster Sisters!!

((( diana ))) has already given you excellent advice, (especially about talking to your doctor about your incontinence before-hand) so I just wanted to add a couple of S and to say that I am glad that you found HS and posted to introduce yourself.

If you haven't read them already, be sure to read the Pre-Op Hints and the Post-Op Hints. They are full of great advice that will help you to prepare for your surgery and recovery.

I hope you'll continue to read and to post any questions that you may have - we'll do our best to help.

S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-21-2004, 09:22 AM
TVH Question

I just had a TVH on September 13th and I'm feeling pretty good. I had my uterus & cervix removed, but kept my ovaries. The surgery went extremely well. I wasn't shaved nor did I have any packing. I did have a catheter put in after I was "out." It was removed the following day without pain. When I woke up I had a morphine pump and it really does the trick! I too was extremely worried beforehand about everything that was going to happen to me. My doctor and nurses were great. Try not to worry, I know it's hard not to, but try. It will all be over before you know it! Good Luck to you with everything!
Unread 09-21-2004, 09:45 AM
TVH Question

Glad to hear having the cathater out didn't hurt. I'm really nervous about that part, and I had someone tell me once that it really hurts when they removed it. I was planning on timing my morphine drip to the minute for that part.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register