Bowel obstruction? please help... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bowel obstruction? please help... Bowel obstruction? please help...

Unread 01-14-2012, 11:59 AM
Bowel obstruction? please help...

Please if anyone can help...

First: please dont tell me to "call my doctor". I know I can call my doctor. I am in montreal, canada. Calling my doctor is not an option on week ends, and even during the week, I wont reach him for days. The only option in montreal is to go to the ER and wait 12, 13, 14 hours...

I am 6 months post abdominal hyst, kept my ovaries.

I am a very nervous person and tend to be hypochondriac, and google is NO HELP that is for sure!

In the last 4 days, I have had abdminal pain, not much, I'd say 1 or 2 on a scale to 10.

Wednesday night I had a bowel movement that was preceded by deep stabbing pain (nothing new, had this even before surgery, suspected IBS, tests came up normal the alst time, 2 years ago)

But now the pain is still around and it is obviously gas. I can hear a lot of noise in my stomach and belly. I do pass gas but there is so much in there. I have not had a bowel movement since wednesday (also not unusual).

Anyways, I am freaking out about fear of bowel obstruction!

My surgeon told me that they usually happen a few days post op, is that true???

Please anyone who had bowel obstrucion due to adherences post op, please give me feedback...

I am feeling "ok" I guess, but gassy... I do have all sorts of weird symptoms intestinally, but again that is not new...

I am just a mess...

Gen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2012, 12:37 PM
Re: Bowel obstruction? please help...

I have always been the way you are describing. Wont go for sometimes 4 days. Eventually my stomach will feel like there's a knife passing through my intestines. A few hours later ill use the bathroom. Have you tried something like miralax? I had a Dr tell me once to put two capfulls ( double dose) in a big Gatorade. Within a few hours ill use the bathroom. Personally I wouldn't worry too much specially if its somewhat normal for you....but take my adviceworth a grain of sand.
Unread 01-14-2012, 12:50 PM

Hi Gen!

I have never had a bowel obstruction (knock on wood!), but have a little experience in the moving bowel department.

Is the stabbing pain in your abdomen or more towards your anus...like someone is stabbing you in the bum? If it's the latter, it may be anal fissures (small tears in your anus). I've had them myself, and it's from pushing too hard to move your bowels and can be irritated by frequent, small bowel movements. I had them myself, and my doc prescribed a lidocaine jelly to apply to my anus for discomfort. He also told me to bulk up on fiber so that I didn't have the small, frequent movements. Now, I was getting constipated from chemo so I was worried that the fiber would further back me up, but he told me fiber also helps things move along. He was right- I only had to use that jelly initially, then things were smooth sailing.

To ease-up the gas, and to get things moving along, I would try a stool softener. Ducolax Overnight works really well. It's very gentle, and it's predictable (i.e.: you don't have to worry about high-tailing it to the bathroom; you'll know when you're going to have a bowel movement.)

I hope this helps and you get some sort of relief!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2012, 02:24 PM

Thanks so much to the two of you!

I am in a sort of manic phase where I am upsessed with intestinal adhesions!

I actually had to get a hysterectomy BECAUSE of uterine adhesions following uterus perforation! SO ya... It is a fear...

I guess what worries me the most is the fact that I have different symptoms, not just one...

BUt yes, I have always had intestinal issues..

I was sort of hoping someone on here who actually had instestinal adhesions would tell me if my case sounds like it!

The knife like pain yes is on my anus and I know I have hemrrhoids and have had fissures... But the pain actually radiates to my lower right side... But that is old history so not so much what I am worrying about..

I guess the thing is that I seem to be having trapped gas for days! I can actually hear it and feel it. I take pills for gas and some passes, but it feels like there is so much more..

I just cant imagine having to go through hell again you know...

I hope someone can somewhat reassure me...

My stools have also been very thin and ribbon like, another "sign", but AGAIN, this was always the case...

Arghhhhh

I am a real, real mess...

Gen

p.s.: OH... and the stool softener is a real good idea... I was thinking of taking a laxative, but was afraid to create more problems... stool softerner should help....
Unread 01-14-2012, 03:08 PM

I had a severe blockage shortly after my surgery. I literally couldn't make the stool move. I called my nurse practitioner friend and she told me to use a fleet enima. I was nervous because it was so soon after surgery, but I was in so much pain I thought I was going to pass out. Fortunately, my mother happened to be with me and ran to the pharmacy. I tried glycerine suppositories and the enimas. The suppositries gave me the urge to go, but the stool was so dry there was no way in the world it was going to move anymore. After literal hours on the toilet I used the enima. Within 5 minutes my colon and the stool were lubricated enough for me to finally pass it. It was still very painful to pass because the stool was so large, but I did feel immediate relief and was able to pas gas again.

Needless to say, I showered and immediately crawled in bed and fell fast asleep. I had spent almost 12 hours by that time trying to get my stool to pass.

I don't know if this will help you, but this was my situation after my TAH.

Sending you lots of positive healing thoughts! I hope you get to feeling better soon.
Unread 01-14-2012, 03:15 PM

Ang: thank you

But what you are talking about is a blockage due to very large stool...

What I am afraid about is far worse, which is a blockage due to scar tissue...

I dont know that I have that, and I know that I am a hypochondriac, so I "could" be just going nuts for nothing, but that "is" my fear...

UGH

Gen
Unread 01-14-2012, 03:30 PM

Mine was due to a very large (round), dry stool (sorry if that is TMI). I had a bowel movement in the hospital after they gave me a suppository, and I had one small one after being home, but then it was like things just locked up. I was describing my situation to my nurse friend and she said that there were a couple of reasons I was likely in so much pain... the size and dryness. I was crying on the phone with her after so many hours of pain telling her "it's hopeless! I know I need to go but it won't pass!" She had to kind of shake me up and told me to listen to her and that the enima would lubricate my colon, break up the stool, and help me to pass the stool.

I don't know that mine was an obstruction, but I can tell you it would not have been from scar tissue (I don't believe I have any intestinally). It was excrutiating pain and I clearly remember telling my mom, "mom, if I pass out call 911".

If you start to vomit or run fever I would rush to the ER. It's better safe than sorry.
Unread 01-14-2012, 05:17 PM

My aunt is still recovering from a severe bowel obstruction and it's been over 9 months and 5 surgeries...

I can tell you she was in PAIN...not a little, not "gassy" but PAIN bad enough to cripple her to the floor in distress and ambulance had to be called.

She, however, did not have a BM for 3 WEEKS...nothing, nada...not even a "little."

I am NOT a doctor, so I don't know. Miralax works great. If you are passing any BM, it's probably not a complete obstruction. Try to relax if you can, it will make the anxiety 100x worse. But please, do see a doctor when you can. I learned by my aunt that any bowel issues should be addressed because even if you have no obstruction, you surely want to know if you are in danger of getting one. I wouldn't mess around with any bowel issues, especially post-op.

Best wishes, keep us posted.
Unread 01-15-2012, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromMontreal View Post
Please if anyone can help...

First: please dont tell me to "call my doctor". I know I can call my doctor. I am in montreal, canada. Calling my doctor is not an option on week ends, and even during the week, I wont reach him for days. The only option in montreal is to go to the ER and wait 12, 13, 14 hours...

I am 6 months post abdominal hyst, kept my ovaries.

I am a very nervous person and tend to be hypochondriac, and google is NO HELP that is for sure!

In the last 4 days, I have had abdminal pain, not much, I'd say 1 or 2 on a scale to 10.

Wednesday night I had a bowel movement that was preceded by deep stabbing pain (nothing new, had this even before surgery, suspected IBS, tests came up normal the alst time, 2 years ago)

But now the pain is still around and it is obviously gas. I can hear a lot of noise in my stomach and belly. I do pass gas but there is so much in there. I have not had a bowel movement since wednesday (also not unusual).

Anyways, I am freaking out about fear of bowel obstruction!

My surgeon told me that they usually happen a few days post op, is that true???

Please anyone who had bowel obstrucion due to adherences post op, please give me feedback...

I am feeling "ok" I guess, but gassy... I do have all sorts of weird symptoms intestinally, but again that is not new...

I am just a mess...

Gen
I know exactly how you feel. After surgery (LAVH) I hadn't done a bowel motion - hospital administered enema - went a little and then vomited. Came home and then couldn't go again - darn it. Ended up crawling around floor until desperate try on loo and eventually some result.

All okay (my usual irregularl bowel movements) until recently when I start vomiting and intense sharp pain. Rush trip to the doc. and diagnosed with adhesions and bowel obstruction - given medication (which thankfully sorted that) and now have to change diet. This is what may help - I have been told by doc. to follow an IBS diet. Maybe check with your doc. on whether this would be suitable for you.

I now just have to manage things the way they are with dietary changes.

Hope you get some answers soon - good luck
Unread 01-15-2012, 04:13 AM

Unfortunately, if it is a bowel obstruction, you need a doctor to fix it. It can cause a lot of problems. About one month post op, they thought that I had an obstruction. I was lucky that it turned out that wasn't the case. I would use stool softeners and make sure you are drinking water. That may help. Sometimes gas can take time to disappear.
I know my doc says to use Miralax if I don't go. I take one dose in some liquid of some kind and if it doesn't work, take more. But and this is a big but, this is under my doctors supervision and with his recommendation. Anything you take over the counter can create problems. Hopefully you are feeling better.
I would call my doc tomorrow and ask what to do. I get that you don't want to go to the ER but if this is not helping or resolving then I would go there, If you have an obstruction, you need to see the doctor. It doesn't really sound like this is the case but I am NOT a doctor so can't tell you. I hope you are doing much better today and that this is now resolved. Sending hugs.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register