Guess I Didn't Beat the Odds...(long) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Guess I Didn't Beat the Odds...(long) Guess I Didn't Beat the Odds...(long)

Unread 07-06-2005, 07:47 PM
Guess I Didn't Beat the Odds...(long)

I guess it's time I chime in...I will soon reach the 1-1/2 year anniversary of my TVH (still have my ovaries). I'm curious if anyone else has had this happen to them. I really questioned posting...not to scare those who haven't had their hysterectomy. I will preface by saying my new gyno said the odds are pretty slim of this happening, but there is always a chance.

Feb. 2004 at 48, I had a really uneventful TVH. In one day, home the next. By two weeks after, I was driving, etc...just watching the lifting and bending.

Around noon (two weeks post-op), I started feeling dizzy and very warm. My heart was pounding. I called DH to come home. DH, who was an EMT 15 years ago, took my blood pressure (80/60) and listened to my heart (didn't sound good). Gyno said head to hospital where hysterectomy was done (45 min. away) but DH opted to go to local hospital (15 min. away).

ER personnel decided I may be having a heart attack, so after heart echo I was headed to cath lab. Only to discover my arteries are perfectly clear. When cardiologist came to talk to DH and kids, I was hooked up to balloon pump (ejection fraction of heart was 20.1) and on a resperator. Diagnosis: cardiogenic shock, sepsis and resperatory failure. The infectous disease people were also on the case. It was decided I most likely picked some bacteria, probobly during hysterectomy, that had attacked my mitral valve.

Let me say, nobody would say for sure this is where I picked it up. And my friend an ICU nurse said one hospital isn't going to point the finger at another hospital. But she has seen this happen after surgeries. Someone I worked with had something similar happen after dental work. Chances are slim, but I guess I was the unlucky one.

I spent two weeks in the hospital, 11 days in ICU of which nine days I have no memory of (I was kept sedated), which was followed by four weeks of IV antibiotic drugs at home. I thank God for family and friends, who helped my DH and kids and spouses through all of this. We were told if we got to the hospital one hour later I may not have survived.

Considering I was possibly facing a valve replacement, I have great news now. All the heart echos have been wonderfully improved...maybe someday in the future I will need a new valve. I'm on a few meds, seeing my cardiologist regularly, but otherwise doing just fine.

So my questions are: Has anyone else had this happen?

I seem to be more prone to yeast and bladder infections. Anyone else with this problem?

What steps do you all use to avoid yeast and bladder infections? I drink lots of water and make sure I get cranberry juice periodically and now are trying yogurt every day. I'm going to try a very gentle baby wash (thinking the Dial may be too drying).

I hope this all made sense...it's a really involved story...this is the edited version.

Debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-06-2005, 09:35 PM

Did you have a fever or other symptoms? I developed vaginal cuff cellulitis. I have been on a few rounds of antibiotica myself. 7 weeks today and saw Doc again today, more silver nitrate and he wants me to take doxycycline! aaaaarrrrrgggggghhhhhhh
Debbi
Unread 07-06-2005, 09:46 PM

Hi Debbie,
Im sorry to hear about your complications, im glad you are doing better. I never had what you had happen to me after surgery but I did have something prior to my surgery. Back in Nov of 2004 I was at work and suddenly started having really bad chest pain, ended up in hospital and was diagnosed with left sided heart failure with tons of damage to my heart. Its believed that a lot of my problem with my heart was caused by my raging hormones. I have severe PCOS (polly cystic ovarian syndrome/disease). Im only 35 and it was quite a shock to get sick like this. From this point on my periods only got worse, I was so severely anemic all the time it put even more strain on my heart. I think with the heart problems thats what prompted me not to put off any longer having the hysterectomy. I take tons of meds to control my blood pressure and heart rate now. I am thankful we have been able to keep things under control and right now I don't have to have any surgery to fix my heart, the meds im taking are supose to help repair some of the damage. You have to be careful not to get sick because it puts extra strain on your heart. My doctor said even a simple cold could cause more damage to my heart.
I think after hysterectomy alot of women are prone to UTI's and yeast infections, I think it has to do with not having the natural hormones and stuff our ovaries and uterus use to make. I never had yeast or UTI before surgery but I have had both since. I try to stay away from sodas and caffiene, drink cranberry juice and water every day and eat yougart 2 or 3 times a week.
Good luck to you, I hope you have no more problems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-06-2005, 10:01 PM

Thanks girl ) I also suffered with cyto megalo virus which lowered my immune system! I have MVP too. Glad to know you're doing well now!
's to you
Deb
Unread 07-07-2005, 08:44 PM

I didn't think I had a fever before feeling "warm" and dizzy on the day I was admitted to hospital. Hindsight, once the day before I felt "warm," but considering the recent surgery, I figured it was just more hot flashes.

DH and I have had this conversation many times during the past year, if he wasn't able to take my blood pressure or listen to my heart, he may have given me a couple Tylenol and let me sleep. That would have had fatal results.

I was on vancomycin and ceftazadime for a total of six weeks (all IV). Let me tell you, after six weeks of antibiotics, I had the absolutely worst yeast infection ever! Doc said, to be expected. All the good yeast was killed also.

Right now I'm taking cipro twice daily for 10 days for a UTI. And downing yogurt twice daily hoping to keep all the "good" yeast happy.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register