Question about keeping cervix and mini periods | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about keeping cervix and mini periods Question about keeping cervix and mini periods

Unread 09-07-2005, 02:17 PM
Question about keeping cervix and mini periods

For those who kept their cervix, has anyone never experienced a mini period? (just wondering how common it is) and if you do have a mini period, how heavy is it, and how many days? Some people just say they spotted...is that just like a little nickle sized spot once or does it last a few days. I need to make a TAH or SAH decision.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-07-2005, 02:32 PM

Hi

I've had about 3-4 mini-periods now and that's exactly what they are ... *extremely* mini!

It's impossible for it to be 'heavy' as you don't have a uterus any more. In my case, there is just the slightest 'show' for 24-48 hours, just requiring a pantyliner per day. It's really absolutely nothing.

If you do a search on mini-periods, you should find quite a bit of information from other Sisters, as this question is asked quite often. I should have had a TAH, but ended up with a SAH. I'm really quite glad now! No regrets!

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Unread 09-07-2005, 02:43 PM

i kept my cerivx and have never had a mini period. I asked my surgeon prior to surgey and he said that with good surgical technique, endometrial cells should all be removed from the cervix, making it imposible to still mesnstruate.
He even showed me the lab report afterwards which mentioned a layer of cervical cells being present after the end of the endometrial lining of the uterus.
He was very proud of his work :0)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-07-2005, 05:09 PM

I had a SAH five months ago...and NO mini period. Chances of cyclical bleeding or"mini period" are very low according to my GYN.

Your surgeon can cauterize the cervical stump during surgery to prevent any cyclical bleeding. Check with your doctor.

Very happy that I kept my healthy cervix.
Unread 09-07-2005, 05:10 PM

I had my SAH July 2004 - other than the post op spotting and discharge that lasted about 3 weeks I have not had any mini periods whatsoever. I'm glad I was able to keep my cervix and ovaries. This is a very difficult decision - I hope that you make the right decision for you and that you have a speedy recovery.
Unread 09-07-2005, 08:28 PM

I questioned my doctor and he said I Would Not Have Anymore Periods.....and...I haven't. I am extremely happy that I was able to keep everything except my uterus (which was home to the killer fibroid). I feel like myself once again. All the worrying about everything, is now a memory. Good luck with making your decision. I am 46, my ovaries still have a lot of work to bring me to menopause.

Hugs,
Kathleen
Unread 09-07-2005, 11:10 PM

I kept my cervix and ovaries and have a mini period.

It really doesn't bother me. I wear a panty liner for about five days, though rarely even spot on it, it's really just when I wipe.

It was the first time my doctor had a patient who had a cyclical bleeding after surgery.

Honestly, if you told me this last year when I was making my decision, it wouldn't have changed a thing for me. My sexual function is just the same as it was before surgery (well, a little dryness) Frankly, I'm relieved to have this reminder that my ovaries are working properly. I'll know when I go into menopause (besides my mother stopping her periods, she had no other symptoms of menopause). My doctor was careful to core out my cervical pouch, what she didn't know was that I'm one of those small number of women who have endometrium inside the cervical canal.

Be sure to be checked for the high risk strains of HPV before making your decision.

Take care.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register