TAH 9/12/05, Epidural or General??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH 9/12/05, Epidural or General??? TAH 9/12/05, Epidural or General???

Unread 09-08-2005, 09:22 AM
TAH 9/12/05, Epidural or General???

Hi Girls,

My date for TAH is 9/12 and I have had my pre op and bloodwork. My Dctr did ok the epidural if I so choose. The anethesiaologist needs to ok it too. So far they have not called back. Are there any crowned princesses that can comment on the general anethesia? I have never had any surgery. Childbirth was natural without even an epidural

I worried so much about this surgery a few weeks ago that I thought to cancel, I didnt and now I seem to be sort of calm. Im sleeping at night but in the morning I dont really feel rested. I guess this weekend might be worse but right now I just keep thinking where I'll be by next week this time, ALREADY HOME!!

Any thoughts on the type of anethesia will be greatly appreciated.
Anita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-08-2005, 09:54 AM

I insisted on the epidural with sedation. With this type of anesthesia, you don't have the tube down your throat. They give you a sedative such as Versed, so you won't remember anything. It's a twlight sleep, so you are conscious enough to answer questions and cooperate with your doctors if they ask you to move over, your pain level, etc. You will be awake and alert as soon as the surgery is over and in the recovery room. You will also have great pain control for the first day. So, if you feel this is for you, I would call the anesthesiology dept. and find out who is on that day and talk with them about it.
Unread 09-08-2005, 10:05 AM

Hi Anita,

I had a general with an epidural. The epidural was for pain relief and was wonderful. I didn't feel a thing. Some women report not being able to move their legs for a little while after surgery, but I did not experience this.

You can also have an epidural without a general. In this case, they put you in a lighter sleep and the epidural is stronger. The benefit to this is that you do not have to be intubated. With either method, you are asleep.

Before your surgery, your anesthesiologist will come in and "interview" you and discuss with you your best options for anesthesia. Listen carefully to his recommendations. He will be in the best position to help you decide which is best for you.

s,
Kay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-08-2005, 10:13 AM

I was with a girlfriend while she gave birth and I had to hold her while she got her epidural for the pain. I didn't like what I saw, so I went with a general for my surgery; I was too chicken to have an epidural myself.

Lots of people have them, but I never have and, if I get my way, never will.

If I were you, I'd do some research. That way you'll be able to make a more informed decision (for yourself) before the "big day" arrives!
Unread 09-08-2005, 10:34 AM
epidural or not? YES!

I had general anesthesia, and the second I woke up after the surgery (in the worst pain in my life), they did the epidural in my lower back (I was turned to my side for a gew seconds) and VOILA! I was pain free from my waist to my upper knees for about 36 hours I had it. It was then removed, and I started on I.V. painkiller, which is totally different as you are pain free untill the medicine wears off, you call the nurse, by the time you receive your next dose, you are moveing like a worm 'in paiiin'. In my case, I do recommand the 'epidural'. Of course, the epidural thing was discussed and 'recommanded' by my anesthesiologist during my pre-op. I am very happy I chose it!
Ikoyi
Unread 09-08-2005, 01:50 PM

I wouldn't even consider the surgery without a general. You won't even know about having a tube down your throat. It goes in when you're asleep and comes out before you wake up. You go to sleep and it seems like you're instantly awake and in recovery. It's the only way I will do any surgery. I've only had a spinal years ago and that's not something I will ever do again.
Unread 09-08-2005, 02:16 PM

I know what you are feeling. I had my very first surgery last week with a general. I can tell you with confidence that the general worked great in my case. They started an I.V. and then gave me something to make my sleepy. I remember joking with the doctor when the introduced the real medication and I didn't finish my sentence. I was asleep and before I knew it I was in recovery.

Now with the epidural, it does not hurt. You get a poke for a local then when they introduce the epidural it feels like someone poking you in the back with their finger and holding it there. I have had 3 successful epidurals. You'll find anticipation far worse to deal with than the actual procedures. Hope this helps.
Unread 09-08-2005, 02:57 PM

If you are considering an epidural find out the risks. I know there are risks with anything but my father had an epidural after back surgery. He now has nerve damage, foot drop, and peripheral neuropathy from the epidural. I am sure that the chances of that happening are 1 in many, many, many, but it has been painful to watch him these past few years.
Good luck with your decision, Anita. I am opting for the general.....I can recover from throwing up!
Unread 09-08-2005, 03:45 PM

I agree 100% with Swank. I don't even remember going to the operating room. One second I was in the prep room and the next second (actually 4 hours later) I was in recovery. Never saw or felt the tube..and never got the sore throat I thought I would get from it either. I hope this helps.
Unread 09-08-2005, 04:11 PM

I had general anesthesia and don't remember anything either. When I woke up I had the magic pain medication button attached to my bed. I pushed it everytime I woke up. I have had alot of surgery and this is the first time I had the button. It was great. I normally get sick from the anesthesia but this time they gave me a shot in my IV and I was fine.
I normally have projectile vomiting like I need an exorsism, but not this time. I have had epidural and a spinal tap in the past, I personally don't like it. Everyone is different, this is just my own experience.
Cheryl
3c-sections, , appendix removed, gallbladder removed, TAH w/right ovarian cyst and ovary removed 7-19-05

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register