Getting tummy in shape | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Getting tummy in shape Getting tummy in shape

Unread 09-23-2006, 04:41 PM
Getting tummy in shape

I'm 16 weeks out and my doctor cleared me for any and all activity. I want to get my tummy in shape (no six-packs! just want a healthy tummy) but I don't really know what some good exercises are. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have been doing what I thought were called pelvic tilts, where you lie on your back with knees bent and feet on floor, and tighten lower stomach muscles to lift your buns off the floor. That's all so far...

Hope you're all healing up okay. I'm finally starting to feel free despite the huge belly and some remaining pain - I'm driving, going to school p/t and working p/t at school, and keeping house for dh and my "furbaby." It took almost 4 months to get here, but it feels great to see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Julia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2006, 04:48 PM
Getting tummy in shape

Hi Julia!

In the Post-Op Checkpoints Weeks 5-6, I located the following information that I hope you will find helpful:

Hystersisters Exercises

You need to scroll down about halfway to the bottom of the page. Good luck!
Unread 09-23-2006, 04:50 PM
Getting tummy in shape

I noticed in the checkpoints, in the 5-6 week part, some exercises in the right column. I was losing weight b4 the surgery, and doing crunches and another tummy exercise (in crunch position, roll back and forth on elbows), but so far, it hurts too much to even do 5 crunches! I decided to wait a bit longer. Good luck, and keep me posted on how they are--I'm just afraid to do anything now, since it hurt enough!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2006, 05:29 PM
Getting tummy in shape

You might try one of the many resources for core exercise training - e.g., the Core Program, or Total Core Strength on the Ball. The beauty of the programs that I have seen is that (1) they start very gently, so the startign-level exercises aren't scary or painful, after surgery, and (2) They help keep all the core muscles (back, sides, abs) balanced in reation to each other.

Good luck - and remember, start gentle and easy and build up steadily!
Unread 09-23-2006, 09:00 PM
Getting tummy in shape

Thanks to all three of you! Excellent ideas - exactly what I was looking for!

wizard66 - you have the right idea - don't push it until it feels right. I just recently started the pelvic tilts because my doc keeps pushing the "Listen to your body!" line and it's good advice. I only get hurt when I'm stubborn and ignore it! So, I'm starting very, very slow. Probably slower than necessary, but it's so much more fun to be healing than "catching up" after overdoing. By the way, I'm from Des Moines and the Des Moines area - I spent 28 years there and get back every chance I get!

Thanks again, everyone!
Julia
Unread 09-23-2006, 10:02 PM
Getting tummy in shape

Good Question!! I was researching today about yoga and pilates. I have a good exercise tape that has a strength training/pilates section focusing on your "core." I think I'll be increasing that workout and cutting back the aerobics. I'm just getting back to exercising other than walking. The yoga may also work, but I need a lot more practice!!
Unread 09-23-2006, 11:44 PM
Getting tummy in shape

I would caution the September and August girls to be VERY careful with abdominal exercise at this point. There are still lots of internal stitches healing. I would be sure to check with your doctors first before attempting even the easiest abdominal work. I was frustrated but glad I waited until cleared to go back to work and start exercising, other than walking.
Unread 09-24-2006, 01:45 AM
Getting tummy in shape

I too cannot wait to do exercises but will until Doc says its ok. Prior to this, I used the Firm Abs workout DVD. It really works well and you can start slow and work up. I lost 60 lbs using this and my abs were getting a lot firmer. Also have a DVD with several 10 minute workouts on it like boot camp, pilates, yoga and it is a nice change of pace.

Good luck on your workout!

Terri
Unread 09-24-2006, 08:47 AM
Getting tummy in shape

I just got my okey to drive and start walking... I miss my morning exercise at the gym. I am thinking of walking at the gym on the treadmill very very carefully. Then I can at least visit with my friends. My doctor said no pool till 6 weeks, but his nurse said 2. She said it had to do with the vag cuff healing. Anyone else been told anything about how soon to sit in their pool?
Unread 09-25-2006, 08:02 AM
Getting tummy in shape

I was told 6 weeks. Please listen to your doctor, though. Often they have info the nurses don't, and speaking as a nursing student, I would never contradict the doctor knowingly because they have so much more knowledge than nurses do. The last thing you want is an infection from being in the pool. It could cause you so many problems long-term if you get infected.
Hang in there.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register