scared to death | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

scared to death scared to death

Unread 01-16-2005, 05:29 PM
scared to death

Hi everyone

I just found out I will be having a hyst in 2 weeks. I am so worried about pain and how I will feel after. I need to have a bikini cut due to endo clean up that will be done. So my surgery will include complete hyst with removal of ovaries and tubes along with endo clean up. I have never had an incision in my tummy before and this is what bothers me most I do not know what to expect. I also am wondering how my house will ever function without me. I read several posts on terrible pain is it really a horrible kind of pain that we deal with after this surgery?

Thanks
Jaz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2005, 06:00 PM
scared to death

Hello Jaz,

I had similar surgery to what you are planning to have. I have a lovely bikini incision. Honestly, the incision itself has caused me very little pain! As a matter of fact, it is numb. Most of the pain I have experienced has been higher in my tummy from where they removed the endo.

Immediately after surgery I was taking medication for pain, so the pain was pretty dulled. As long as I took it easy, it was not at all unbearable! They key is to take it easy and rest, rest, rest.

Within two weeks I had pretty much done with pain medication and was taking motrin. At that point I was sore. Not in pain, but a soreness that sometimes felt like a sunburn and sometimes felt like endo pains (it isn't, but that's the best description I can think of).

I think the surprise for me was the exhaustion. There is a reason they tell you to take it easy. It's hard to explain, but it's all absorbing. For example, the first time I did dishes at 3 weeks, it took me all day to wash one sink of dishes. I'd wash a dish, sit down, wash a dish, sit down, wash a dish, take a nap...etc.

Your household will run better than you expect. The most important part is to do some preplanning and tell people what you need them to do. Check out the Check Points at the top of the page to help you plan what you will need at each step along the way.
Unread 01-16-2005, 06:37 PM
scared to death

Hi Jazz,

Are we in a parallel universe? I had the same surgery & about the same time to prepare. On the day before Eubbie. I echo everything that she said.

Do not worry about the pain - it is definitely manageable. My doctor has this philosophy of accepting "Tolerable Discomfort". Not to expect to feel totally great right away - but to medicate until it is manageable. Just have plenty of Gas-X on hand, drink alot and get up and take little walks to keep things going.

I just have one question. I noticed that some of the ladies here had their gyn surgeon and a plastic surgeon. I never thought about asking my Dr about a plastic surgeon. Do you think that was to prevent that little shelf above the bikini incision? I used to have a fairly flat tummy - definitely not movie star flat, but decent for my age. I am not liking my shelf & my Dr said that it will go away quite a bit - but perhaps not totally. Not liking that answer at all!

Wishing you an uneventful surgery and a leisurely recovery.

:-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2005, 06:49 PM
on the tummy shelf...

I had a myeomectomy (fibriod tumor removal) a couple of years ago--this is basically the same surgery as a C-section...abdominal incision ("bikini") and all. I also had a shelf, and yes, it does eventually go away. It is almost all gone now. I had surgery in 2000...so it took a few years, but it has gone away. I am a very slow healer, so you will probably heal faster.
Keep your wound cool, if possible. It does actually help keep down the swelling & all.
Oh, and to keep the scar from being really nasty, I used Vit. E right on it after it was touchable...works very well to make the skin go back to a more normal color.
Best of luck to you! --luvhouston
Unread 01-16-2005, 07:00 PM
scared to death

tarheelblue,

I think several women coupled their hsyter with a tummy tuck. I remember reading several posts about it during my pre-op days on this board.
Unread 01-16-2005, 07:48 PM
Don't worry....

You will be fine....during the time that the pain is pretty intense, you will be sufficiently drugged, so don't worry about it!!.....(It was discovered that I had endo during surgery)....I agree with the other ladies - I am 13 days post-op and painwise, I am just sore.

Just keep yourself busy up to your hyst day and try your best not to think negatively.....keep positive thoughts.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register