Do You think I'm a sandbagger? Help me set recovery goals! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do You think I'm a sandbagger?  Help me set recovery goals! Do You think I'm a sandbagger? Help me set recovery goals!

Unread 08-18-2007, 11:29 AM
Do You think I'm a sandbagger? Help me set recovery goals!

My dh is getting a bit annoyed with the slowness of my recovery pace, now that it's been 2 1/2 weeks since I had my LSH/BSO. He has been a darling helper with the kids and around the house, and he's going back to work on Monday. This past week he and the kids (ages 7 and 5.5) were gone each morning to a church camp.

I go for walks and I fill up the dishwasher and pick up a few things around the house, but I really haven't done too much. We homeschool, so I have spent some time preparing for the upcoming school year. But, otherwise, I've done a lot of sitting in the recliner and doing cross-stitch and/or watching T.V. or being on the computer, or even taking naps.

I had an LSH/BSO and the surgeon said it was a very involved and complicated procedure. I had extensive and diffuse endo, with one deep implant going almost all the way down to my right ureter. Thankfully, it was removed w/o compromising the ureter, he said. Also, I had a goretex patch (from a previous surgery 9 years ago) which was cohesively adhered to my bowel and uterus, and it was precarious for a time to meticulously work that thing off my bowel. I had bad adhesions with my left ovary, uterus, broad ligament, bowel and fibroids all being stuck together like a wrapped up basketball (I saw the pictures!).

So how long should it really take for recovery?? Just curious, as I'm starting to feel guilty for resting. I did go to a party last night, and I gotta take our kids to an Open House gymnastics event today.... so it's not like I'm only sitting around doing nothing.... but I do want to crash when I get back home and I try to have a day (at least) without doing much after I've been out for hours on a given day.

Please help me to know what kind of goals I should be setting for doing things around the home and out of the home.

Thank you!

Brenda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2007, 11:33 AM

I'm 4 1/2 weeks out, i'm gonna sandbag for as long as i can. I make my hubbie carry my purse (LOL). Take your time, enjoy a "break"
Unread 08-18-2007, 11:50 AM

First and foremost, remember everyone heals at their own rate.

With that said, you must listen to your body and not do more than you are capeable of or you will cause a setback in your healing process.

When I had my 2 week check-up my Dr. said that it could take me at least 6 weeks to feel somewhat normal but if I over stressed myself I would just feel worse for longer. He also told me it would take 6 months for me to feel 100% and reap the total benefits of my surgey.

Relax, rest and pamper yourself, you have just had major surgery

edited to add.........don't let anyone tell you how you should feel and how fast you should be healing, it's your body not theirs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2007, 12:08 PM

I agree with Yarn addict!
Everyone is different in they way they heal and how fast!
You arent sandbagging! It took me about 8 weeks before I felt like doing much of anything! And its been over seven months now and at times i still get really tired...Plus you had
some tricky points to your surgery and extra work done
take your tire and be careful and heal right the first time !
My Dr. told me it could take 6 months to a year to be fully recoverd from the surgery on the inside and He wasnt kidding
because if you rush your self or over do you Will pay for it!
!trust us most of us have been there!
Good luck! Take care!
Unread 08-18-2007, 12:39 PM

I have taken it easy for a full six weeks. I did nothing for 3 1/2 weeks while my family was here to take care of me and very little after they left except walking and resting, which is what my doctor recommended, so I could heal as much as possible before I have to go back to work. I don't think you're sandbagging at all!
Unread 08-18-2007, 01:59 PM

No you are not sandbagging. I am 7 weeks post op and still taking it somewhat easy. I had a TAH/BSO on June 26th. Had a fibroid the size of a large canteloupe, very heavy bleeding and was anemic. I did return to work at a part-time sales job this week at a small store and it has been very hard. By afternoon I am exhausted and wishing I was at home so I would be able to lay down and rest. And I still have alot of twinges of burning pain which is worse late afternoon and evening. The more I read on hystersisters the more I realize recovery does take longer than my dr led me to believe.
Unread 08-18-2007, 02:18 PM

Thank you, everyone! I wasn't sure because my dr. originally told me that a recovery from an LSH was 1 to 2 weeks, and my dh heard him say that! So now he has this expectation that I should be doing lots more by now. I had a 2--week post-op visit, and the nurse looked at my wound sites and took my blood pressure and temp., and the doctor went over my reports, and that was it. No more visit for 3 months!

I love the reminders to "pamper the princess". The healing process must take longer than 1 to 2 weeks... I had a great surgeon, but I get more info about what to expect here at hystersisters than anywhere else.

Thanks, hystersisters!

Brenda
Unread 08-18-2007, 02:34 PM

brenda -

I too had LSH, just a day before you. I thought I would be feeling much better than I do. Last week - we had an out of town guest, and just being "on" exhausted me so much I spent yesterday in tears!!! I have my p.o appointment on Monday - and originally thought I would be back to work on Tuesday. I'm scared by that thought - and at the same time feel so much guilt because I think I SHOULD have more energy and less discomfort.

I know, I am being my own worst enemy.

Staci
Unread 08-18-2007, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinaklife
brenda -

I too had LSH, just a day before you. I thought I would be feeling much better than I do. Last week - we had an out of town guest, and just being "on" exhausted me so much I spent yesterday in tears!!! I have my p.o appointment on Monday - and originally thought I would be back to work on Tuesday. I'm scared by that thought - and at the same time feel so much guilt because I think I SHOULD have more energy and less discomfort.

I know, I am being my own worst enemy.

Staci
I totally understand, Staci! Does your job require a doctor's note, or can you take extra time off easily if you need it?

It seems that I can go somewhere just fine now, but I relish the chance to get back into my pj's and onto the recliner again when I return.

It would be good if you had the option to take 1/2 days at work or extra time off whenever you need it. I understand how you feel about thinking that we ought to be able to do more, but I think we just run out of steam faster right now.

Let's try to help remind each other that no one knows how your body feels like you do!! Whatever time it takes, it'll be worth it in the end if we come out healthier and happier than we were before!
I'm really hoping that I will have more energy someday! I heard the story that someone went and mowed their lawn 2 days after their hyst... they felt so good. To me, that is just plain nuts!!! But we are all different, that's for sure!

Brenda
Unread 08-18-2007, 03:24 PM

I think there is a link on here somewhere specifically for the husbands and what to expect. You need to follow the hyster checkpoints. DON'T do too much too soon. Recovery is involved and is mostly on the interior that you can't see. Doing too much too soon could mean the difference between feeling 100% at 3-6 months or it taking a year. The last thing you need is more internal trauma that could cause adhesions and more pain later on.
Taking good care of yourself is NOT sandbagging. Dh pressuring you to do too much too soon is sandbagging.
Be well and take good care of you

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register