Meals for the day | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Meals for the day Meals for the day

Unread 02-17-2008, 07:26 AM
Meals for the day

Since I am having my hyster tomorow. What should I try to eat today? I must do the lovely "Fleet's enima" to clean the bowel and am not looking forward to it.

The funny thing yesterday when I went to the store to pick it up is that they only had the "extra volume" one. I said to myself "great extra discomfort and how did I get so lucky".

I'm trying to make things easier on myself so I need a little advise on what I should try to eat today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2008, 07:40 AM
Meals for the day

didn't your doctor give you any instructions ? sometimes it makes you wonder if they think we're mind readers ! did they give you a sheet of paper ? it might be on there.
Unread 02-17-2008, 07:55 AM
Meals for the day

The only instructions on my paperwork is to do the enima before bedtime and nothing to eat after midnight.

The doc is so used to doing this that I think he assumes people should knwo what they are suppose to do. I tried to ask all the questions at teh pre-op appt but this was one that I simply forgot about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2008, 08:12 AM
Meals for the day

I haven't had my pre-op yet so I can't even tell you what my own instructions are. Hopefully some of the ladies who are post-op or have had their pre-op will pop by to give you some info.

I can't believe they didn't tell you about meals ! Maybe its just my nerves because my day is close, but that really irks me ! :burning:

I'm so sorry I couldn't help
Unread 02-17-2008, 08:42 AM
Meals for the day

linaraye,

I just read your post. I will be 6 weeks pre-op on February 19th. The day of my bowel prep, I was told not to eat anything solid, just drink clear liquids, but nothing red, purple, or orange. I could drink as much as I liked up until midnight.

I drank chicken broth and LOTS of lemon-lime gatorade. I was told to lay off sodas because they tend to be dehydrating.

I hope this helps. I will be praying for you tomorrow.

Charlotte
Unread 02-17-2008, 08:50 AM
Meals for the day

Thank you so much. I figured someone would have better information than I was given.

Yum yum chicken broth. Well looks like I have to go back to the grocery store today.

I already need to pick up some Gas X so I'll just pick up some clear juices and Gatoraide too.
Unread 02-17-2008, 03:15 PM
Meals for the day

Hi
that is what my pre op told me-clear liquids and they even added fat free such as fat free broth and fat free jello.

Yeah, I hear you. I don't know how many times I've been to the store making sure I have everything for my trip to the castle.....gas x, stool softeners, gatorade, jello, cute pj's (if i get to wear them) and i got me a new robe and slippers. figured i should go ahead and pamper the princess!
lol
Good luck!
Unread 02-17-2008, 04:00 PM
Meals for the day

I also had to do the Fleets the day before my surgery (I was doing my bowel prep exactly 2 weeks ago to the day... Superbowl Sunday.... ugh).

I was told to only drink clear liquids from when I woke up, and then after midnight, NOTHING... not even a super small sip of water.

Clear liquids meant anything you can see through (water, gatorade, gingerale, 7-up, diluted tea, chicken broth.) My doctor told me I could eat Jell-O, too. He did not say anything about what color of Jell-O or colors to stay away from. So, I bought raspberry Jell-O, and I started to eat that a couple hours after I started the bowel prep. I was craving wanting to "eat" something, so Jell-o tricked my mind into thinking I was eating food since I had to use a spoon to eat it.

Well, about an hour or so after I started to eat the Jell-o, everthing that came out into the toilet was BRIGHT RED! Oh my goodness... I about had a heart attack thinking I was hemmoraging inside. LUCKILY, I had the support of the women here on this board during my bowel prep experience, and I found out from this board that the red was just the coloring from the Jell-O, and I was not bleeding. haha. SO, if you do Jell-O, try to find a less drastic color.... because whatever color you eat, that is waht color will come out eventually. (at least with me, that is what happened).

Good luck.... in my opinion, the surgery and recovery were better than the bowel prep, so if you can make it through you bowel prep, you'll do great for surgery! :-)

Take care!!
Unread 02-17-2008, 04:09 PM
Meals for the day

i was told no solid food after noon, (which ended up closer to 1 because i was at work and couldnt get a break) and then clear liquids after that.
Unread 02-17-2008, 04:54 PM
Meals for the day

My Dr didn't give me any instructions other than - eat or drink nothing after midnight. However, I thought that since most other people were doing bowel prep, etc that it must make sense to eat little to nothing that whole day before, so I planned on a light lunch and skipping dinner alltogether.

Well, my mom had come up from NC to stay with me and arrived the night before. I had made a big pan of enchiladas in advance and was going to serve that to her for dinner and I was just gonna watch her heat and have juice. Well..... I was STARVING at that point, and ended up eating 2 enchiladas and a martini. The rest of the evening was much more pleasant after that!!!

And I was also glad to have had this last good meal prior to surgery since I couldn't hold anything down until about 36 hours afterwards. If I had foregone my dinner the night before, it would have been 48 hours with no food.

I can't understand the differences in the whole bowel prep routines. I guess every Dr has his/her reasons for what works best. I did nothing to prep (per Drs non-instructions), and there were no problems at all after surgery. My advice is do what your doctor says, but don't try to be a martyr (like I was doing), and just eat as normally as possible.

bon appetit!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register